New American Idiot documentary coming soon!

pacejunkie punk

13 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

I don't doubt it, but where was Too Much Too Soon confirmed? I know Billie recently mentioned parts of Homecoming were recycled from the album (I don't think we know which parts and what songs they were originally meant for, though.)

It was a radio interview around the time of AI hitting Broadway. I used to have it saved because this discussion always came up. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jon Benjamin said:

It was a radio interview around the time of AI hitting Broadway. I used to have it saved because this discussion always came up. 

Yeah, I forgot what radio interview it was but I still remembered it being radio.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They’d have to give up the game and out themselves as The Network. Do you think they’re willing to do that?

They have in a very small way. When the 7” Singles Box Set came out in 2009 it included a single from The Network in it (as well as the Tubbies). It’s a funny insiders joke but at this point I think they’d get more cred by embracing The Network as part of their creative story, especially now that there’s two Network albums. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gonzalo17 said:

I think we already have C&V tracks in different albums (walk away, letterbomb, homecoming, horseshoes & handgranades, C&V live), some b-sides (shoplifter, favourite son, too mucho to soon, governator, lights out, heart collide),  Network and foxboro (Roshambo, Broadway) projects.

Governator has been ruled out by timing. C&V’s release date was for Feb 14 2003

1 hour ago, Clockwise said:

I don't doubt it, but where was Too Much Too Soon confirmed? I know Billie recently mentioned parts of Homecoming were recycled from the album (I don't think we know which parts and what songs they were originally meant for, though.)

I think we can factor out the east 12th st part, his DUI was 2003 right? If I remember correctly his hearings for that DUI affected the AI production.

And Mike’s part was written on a day where Billie was absent for that. So that part is also out. Was Tre’s part added after Mike’s?

I think possibly the intro and final parts of the song are from C&V. But they could have been connected by other parts that were omitted. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The 99th revolution said:

Most are correct. Favorite Son and Governator are about politicians and Schwarzenegger became governor of California in 2003, and C&V was recorded approx. 2002-2003. And you forgot Brutal Love, The Pedestrian. 

Where does Brutal Love come in to play here? It’s not a C&V song.

The Pedestrian possibly was and is listed on John’s bsides disc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Where does Brutal Love come in to play here? It’s not a C&V song.

The Pedestrian possibly was and is listed on John’s bsides disc.

A lot of people think Dropout is an early version of Brutal Love but by that logic Sex, Drugs and Violence is an early version of Troubled Times so I’m not buyin it.

Maybe there's some vital information that they've not told us about American Idiot, or the events leading up to it.  That would be really cool.  Like they've told the story so many times, but this is FULL story of how it went down.   Also, to hear a song or two that's never been released would be great.   And at this point, taking away the mysteries behind the whole Network thing.  Who's idea was it to work with those guys - could we possibly get interviews with THEM?????

And now for the crazy part of this post:  What if The Network stole more than one album by Green Day?   Perhaps the boys had a 2002 magnum opus ready to unleash - and bam, it was gone.  So Green Day used the fact that they weren't getting along to make an interesting story out of it and held us over with Shenanigans.   Then Cigerettes and Valentines was stolen and Green Day were REALLY angry, because gosh darn it, it was a great.   Billie and Tre went out and really hurt some people, and thus began a dark time for their mental well being.  American Idiot and the song One Eyed Bastard is actually the story of how Bill and Tre beat one of the Network fellows into a coma (city).   dang.  So Billie's been struggling ever since.   That's why we never see the Network unmasked because they are so scared of Green Day.....

• Haha 1

I've always thought the AI project started on 2002-2003, including C&V, and now Billie technically confirmed that saying the Homecoming original version thing. So, I think there will be a Special release for AI Anniversary (Maybe this year, maybe not), including demos from C&V era and the record itself, a live show, etc). However, I think the documentary could be  something apart, like the documentary for Insomniac's 25th Anniversary.

What could be this new documentary about? I think they will cover from the first sessions from C&V, then something about the issues around the band/anxiety about AI project, how they worked with Rob Cavallo, then the impact and success of the album (maybe including some extras from AI Tour/BIAB unreleased video material) and finally how AI has influenced along all these years on fans/people and the band.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

A lot of people think Dropout is an early version of Brutal Love but by that logic Sex, Drugs and Violence is an early version of Troubled Times so I’m not buyin it.

I think Dropout is a longer version of the final part in Brutal Love, and it's not because "OMG EXTRAORDINARY GIRL IS TROUBLED TIMES DEMO IM SO FUCKING DUM" but because in Cuatro if you look closely you can see "Dropout" written under Brutal Love in that board thing.

3 hours ago, Insomniac1984 said:

I've always thought the AI project started on 2002-2003, including C&V, and now Billie technically confirmed that saying the Homecoming original version thing. So, I think there will be a Special release for AI Anniversary (Maybe this year, maybe not), including demos from C&V era and the record itself, a live show, etc). However, I think the documentary could be  something apart, like the documentary for Insomniac's 25th Anniversary.

What could be this new documentary about? I think they will cover from the first sessions from C&V, then something about the issues around the band/anxiety about AI project, how they worked with Rob Cavallo, then the impact and success of the album (maybe including some extras from AI Tour/BIAB unreleased video material) and finally how AI has influenced along all these years on fans/people and the band.

I really want Grand Olympic 2004 and Warfield 2005 as the live shows like Dookie 30's Woodstock 94 and Garatge Club. They're underrated shows that never really got much attention.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Grohl said:

While I'm happy to get any new doc about American Idiot out there, I would much prefer something on Saviors or even 21CB. But hopefully the new AI doc won't feature any weird choregraphed dance scenes that eat up the run time...looking at HLAHG.

Definitely with you on 21CB! I don't think we have hardly any footage of that recording process. Saviors would be really cool too.

• Like 2

I really wanna know the full title to Fritz.

2 hours ago, The 99th revolution said:

I think Dropout is a longer version of the final part in Brutal Love, and it's not because "OMG EXTRAORDINARY GIRL IS TROUBLED TIMES DEMO IM SO FUCKING DUM" but because in Cuatro if you look closely you can see "Dropout" written under Brutal Love in that board thing.

I really want Grand Olympic 2004 and Warfield 2005 as the live shows like Dookie 30's Woodstock 94 and Garatge Club. They're underrated shows that never really got much attention.

Definitely would wanna see that 2004 LA Olympic show. The debut of AI and JOS. The kickoff AI tour show. Like some very early AI tour sets, it was pretty unique in that it was just two AI songs and the rest were hits and covers. They also played Supermodel Robots. 🙂 To my knowledge footage or audio of this show has never been released, but im sure the band had it recorded. I'm pretty sure some tape trader has it somewhere just collecting dust. But alas this is 2024 and tape (hoarding) trading is still a thing. 😮‍💨

American Idiot (Live premier)

Jesus of Suburbia (Live premier)

Hitchin' a Ride

Welcome to Paradise

Purple Haze

2000 Light Years Away

Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't have)

Crazy Train

Surrender

Teenagers From Mars

Longview

Brain Stew

Jaded

Knowledge

Basket Case

Our Lips Are Sealed

I Fought the Law

Rock the Casbah

Danny Boy

Dancing With Myself

King for a Day

Shout

Minority

She

The Kids Are Alright

Supermodel Robots

Like a Rat Does Cheese

Dominated Love Slave

When I Come Around

We Are the Champions

They also played Teenagers from Mars Network-style!

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, The 99th revolution said:

They also played Teenagers from Mars Network-style!

Yup that's right! ☺️ And two Tre songs at the end there. 😁 Early AI tour sets were wild lol. Later on it just became the same sets night after night. Sometimes they'd throw in Maria or Homecoming but for the most part they were pretty repetitive lol.

Yeah. That's why The Warfield's unique. Take Back, Disappearing Boy, Coming Clean, AI in full. I'd die for a setlist like that!

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, The 99th revolution said:

Yeah. That's why The Warfield's unique. Take Back, Disappearing Boy, Coming Clean, AI in full. I'd die for a setlist like that!

I know someone who was lucky enough to attend that one. This was right as I was becoming a fan and years before I saw them in concert. And I remember the night it happened cause they told me all about it haha. They still have their ticket stub. 🙂 Every so often I remind him, like bro you got to attend a secret show, where they played 38 songs. 😄 Later on I treated that same person, and bought them a ticket to see Longshot with me at thee Parkside bar in SF lol. We also met Billie right before show, so that definitely made up for it lol.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, That Dude said:

Maybe there's some vital information that they've not told us about American Idiot, or the events leading up to it.  That would be really cool.  Like they've told the story so many times, but this is FULL story of how it went down.   Also, to hear a song or two that's never been released would be great.   And at this point, taking away the mysteries behind the whole Network thing.  Who's idea was it to work with those guys - could we possibly get interviews with THEM?????

And now for the crazy part of this post:  What if The Network stole more than one album by Green Day?   Perhaps the boys had a 2002 magnum opus ready to unleash - and bam, it was gone.  So Green Day used the fact that they weren't getting along to make an interesting story out of it and held us over with Shenanigans.   Then Cigerettes and Valentines was stolen and Green Day were REALLY angry, because gosh darn it, it was a great.   Billie and Tre went out and really hurt some people, and thus began a dark time for their mental well being.  American Idiot and the song One Eyed Bastard is actually the story of how Bill and Tre beat one of the Network fellows into a coma (city).   dang.  So Billie's been struggling ever since.   That's why we never see the Network unmasked because they are so scared of Green Day.....

Wouldn't that be great if The Network appeared in the documentary at least for a few minutes telling they have no relation to the loss of the master tapes of the band Green Day?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reverend Strychnine Twitch said:

Wouldn't that be great if The Network appeared in the documentary at least for a few minutes telling they have no relation to the loss of the master tapes of the band Green Day?

They should get a chance to tell their side of the story, and I'd love to hear it.  I wonder if they had the masks in mind when recording the music or it came later.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The 99th revolution said:

Yeah I don’t deny that the second part of Brutal Love is possibly a piece from Dropout. I think its lyrics were rearranged for Brutal Love though. So they brought in elements of Dropout which is the song from C&V, Brutal Love is very much from the trilogy though. And your quick eye on Cuatro proves that so thanks for catching that.

Interesting to see how far some of those vaulted songs have gone. Dropout being considered in 2012, some other song’s progression was used with Youngblood for Rev Rad. I think it’s clear C&V’s tracklist would have been longer than AI’s, I’m getting the sense it was similar to Nimrod that way.

• Like 2

"Keep the fights clean and the sex dirty" has been Billie's stock answer to that question for like 20 years now lmao. Excited for the documentary!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Yeah I don’t deny that the second part of Brutal Love is possibly a piece from Dropout. I think its lyrics were rearranged for Brutal Love though. So they brought in elements of Dropout which is the song from C&V, Brutal Love is very much from the trilogy though. And your quick eye on Cuatro proves that so thanks for catching that.

Interesting to see how far some of those vaulted songs have gone. Dropout being considered in 2012, some other song’s progression was used with Youngblood for Rev Rad. I think it’s clear C&V’s tracklist would have been longer than AI’s, I’m getting the sense it was similar to Nimrod that way.

I'm happy to help in this topic! 

40 minutes ago, Hermione said:

"Keep the fights clean and the sex dirty" has been Billie's stock answer to that question for like 20 years now lmao. Excited for the documentary!

Something to aspire to 😂😂

Warfield would be the BEST option for the anniversary edition, but I don't think so because there's any a soundboard récording of It in boots

• Like 1

Grand Olympic is a show we need, we know the setlist but have got no audio surfacing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1