11 - Strange Days Are Here To Stay - Song Discussion

Liam

1 hour ago, devilskind92 said:

This one's been stuck in my head for a few days now. It's shaping up to be one of my favorites!

The theme of this song reminds me of Troubled Times, but done better.

You're so right! It takes the idea of Troubled Times and executes it flawlessly. I don't know why but I've never been a huge fan of Troubled Times. Something about the music and it's approach I'm not a huge fan of.

• Like 2

I actually *love* Troubled Times, but I agree this executes on its theme better and expands on it. 

• Like 4

Love this song... But "The return of the blob"?

The fuck's he talking about? Doesn't even fit in syllables-wise. 

• Like 1

Just now, Saviour said:

The fuck's he talking about? Doesn't even fit in syllables wise. 

The Blob is the new hot name for the military industrial complex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Saviour said:

The fuck's he talking about? Doesn't even fit in syllables-wise. 

In addition to what @Gwen Stacysaid, The Blob is a famous sci-fi horror movie from the 50s. One of my favorite lines, actually!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stories and songs said:

In addition to what @Gwen Stacysaid, The Blob is a famous sci-fi horror movie from the 50s. One of my favorite lines, actually!

I know the original film well.

I hadn't realised there was a sequel released in 1972 though. It makes a lot more sense now. 

12 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Interesting. This supports my assertion that everything Billie writes means something, we just don’t get the references sometimes because they’re personal in jokes or obscure. It’s why I hate it when people criticize his lyrics as “nonsense”

When he’s in good writing mode, yes. Although it’s been 8 years and I still don’t know how a cello lost somewhere over the rainbow feels. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Interesting. This supports my assertion that everything Billie writes means something, we just don’t get the references sometimes because they’re personal in jokes or obscure. It’s why I hate it when people criticize his lyrics as “nonsense”

It’s so true! Sometimes I’ll be listening to one of their songs for years and suddenly be like, “oh wow, I get that reference!” Or I’ll read a new interpretation and it blows me away. His writing is fun to unpack.

In that article in The Atlantic, the writer made a few notes about how his lyrics don’t make sense (examples that…did make sense) and I was like, “respectfully, I think you’re bad at analyzing writing.” :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

See that line may not have worked for everyone, but he once explained a cello as a sad sounding instrument. And to be lost over the rainbow is like being in Oz, a stranger in a strange land. So he feels sad and lost in an unfamiliar place. 

I feel like Billie needs to provide us with a dictionary to his own mind because I would never in a million years get that from that line.

...But after that explanation it makes total sense and I'm all for it.

• Like 1

Making guns made out of clay? A bit redundant, cause 'making' is enough, Billie's at a gain for words. 😄  I understand it makes the song flow better, but still it bugs me.  

my favorite song, but Fancy Sauce and Goodnight Adeline are beating it like a one eyed bastard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just played this song on the guitar for the first time and it made me like it a ton more!  Great song that’s been a grower for me on the album. 

• Like 2

Return of the blob was on the cover of an X-Men comic as well.  I definitely plan on watching Return of the blob.   They could have named the song that, and should still write another one.  I can here it now.  Just repeating "return of the blob" 88 times in a row.   Rah hey!

"Ever since Bowie died it hasn't been the same" has been in my head all day every day for the last 3 weeks lol

• Like 3

Very interesting about Return of the Blob coming out in 1972, and the political hoopla as well.  The line makes sense on it's own as well.  In my head, it's a way of saying that everything's a mess.   Like if you're having a bad day, you could say "man, today's been the return of the blob!"    or "man, I feel like cello!" ya know? 

What a dark horse. I never expected to be replaying this one so much nearly a month later!

• Like 4

Any idea what the "baby Babylon" line could mean? 
I've never understood the use of "babylon" in songs (I may recall that it's not the first time Green Day have used that but I'm not sure, I may be mixing different bands/songs), even if I am vaguely familiar with the biblical aspect of the name.

But it's not a very straightforward name to interpret in a song, and if you add the "guns made out of clay" part, I geniuenly have no clue what this part of the song is about. Not only that, but it's so weird and obtuse that I can't even interpret a meaning of my own. Which is a shame because, other than this part, the rest of the song is fucking awesome.

14 minutes ago, pucky said:

Any idea what the "baby Babylon" line could mean? 
I've never understood the use of "babylon" in songs (I may recall that it's not the first time Green Day have used that but I'm not sure, I may be mixing different bands/songs), even if I am vaguely familiar with the biblical aspect of the name.

But it's not a very straightforward name to interpret in a song, and if you add the "guns made out of clay" part, I geniuenly have no clue what this part of the song is about. Not only that, but it's so weird and obtuse that I can't even interpret a meaning of my own. Which is a shame because, other than this part, the rest of the song is fucking awesome.

Someone upthread mentioned that Baby Babylon was the name of a certain type of gun. The Babylon reference could be a religious connection to right wing extremist who claim to be Christian and love their guns, taking photos of their kids with guns. Something else I read said that making guns out of clay may not only be a reference to kids with guns but also to 3D printed guns. It’s just a collage of images with references to kids, guns and religious extremism 

• Like 3