11 - Strange Days Are Here To Stay - Song Discussion

Liam

Great song! Very catchy and lyrics are great. Sonically it gives me slight Trilogy and Longshot vibes, with a hint of Nimrod thrown into the mix. Lyrically it definitely harks back to 90s Green Day, a little bit of Warning too, but I still count that as 90s Green Day. 

• Like 3

This is my favorite song on the album. It's so catchy and appropriate for the state of the world. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN said:

The lyrics of this song are amazing, Billie’s satire and humor mixed with heart as we didn’t hear in a very long, long, long time. A story that in every verse tells a story. This really feels like a song from the GD classic eras merged with the maturity of a band that is reaching 52 yo and went through American Idiot. Musically and lyrically. 

Totally agree! I have this stuck in my head now (the amount of ear worms on this album is crazy). There’s so many standout lyrics on this album but this is one of the best representations of super sharp writing. If there’s an alternate universe where I didn’t fall in love with Green Day over the lyricism in American Idiot, I sure would’ve with Saviors.

I mentioned this in the thread we had going last night, but I just love the reference to “The Blob” lol. Also, rhyming mental and fentanyl is wild but somehow works so well.

• Like 2

I love this song.... could be a pattern here 😂.  Billie sounds great, lyrics are great, I love they promised us forever and we got less and like fairy dust and ballyhoo.  Whole band sounds great.

• Like 2

Wow, I love this song. Probably my favorite track of them all. It’s fun but at the same time it feels…melancholic? Not sure if that makes sense but that’s how the song makes me feel. I also love the lyrics. They are serious but also humorous. Just a great tune.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, Alba88geo said:

"They promised us forever but we got less." That line is unbelievable...hope, hurt, love, and loss in one line. I find there's at least one line in every song that I'm drawn to and think it's a doozy, but this one is the one I keep singing over and over.

The best line on the record! Love it too, goosebumps on each listen.

This is my Favourite Green Day song in a long time. It tops even Bang Bang

• Like 3

Excellent track, this. Hits you on first listen which is the mark of a great song.

• Like 1

By far the best song on the album. It's been a long time since I've put a song on repeat and it's this one.

• Like 4

Feeling Letterbomb on this one. Feels like one that could easily find a home on the back half of AI. 

• Like 3

I think this is what RevRad would have sounded like if Cavallo had produced it. Great social commentary, and the way he inflects on the “grandma’s on the fentanyl now” line sounds amazing.

• Like 3

Another banger of a song. It perfectly captures the chaos and craziness of the last few years.

• Like 3

Musically this falls the flattest for me but I enjoy the lyrics 

Was wonderin' what this reminded me of and i think the opening melody reminds me of Revolution Radio's chorus.

• Like 1

This one keeps popping up lately to me as one of the standout tracks. Something about this feels fresh but also very old school Green Day sounding. Could be the Basket Case and Whatsername similarities I hear sometimes but man, what a great song.

21 hours ago, Jirachi said:

Was wonderin' what this reminded me of and i think the opening melody reminds me of Revolution Radio's chorus.

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one thinking this!

This should probably be said in the thread for the album proper but I don't think it's a bad thing that they're re-using riffs and stuff from old songs for newer ones. If anything it really shows their creativity that they're able to take something old and make something new with it!

This is one of my faves from the album. As people have been pointing out, the lyrics are very clever. My fave is 'everyone is racist, and the Uber's running late.' lmao.

• Like 1

I keep singing "troubled times and borrowed times " instead of "twisted times" " and I can't get it right.  Anyone else doing that?    Another thing about this song, Billie Joe sounds more like Billie Joe than ever, if that makes sense.   He's singing in his talking voice.   

Oh and what is the line "Gen Z killing, Baby Boomer"?   What does that mean?    Why'd Millennial get left out?  

Everyone IS racist and sometimes I can't even get an uber to pick me up.  ;)   At least my grandparents were all sober.    God bless, we're all livin in the 20s!

One more question - who is harmonizing at 2:28?   Sounds like a female voice.  

• Like 2

No song will beat this one on Saviors. It need more recognition. This song is a fucking banger and should have been a single!!

• Like 3

As soon as the first line of Strange Days Are Here To Stay plays it feels like a time machine straight to the early 2000s 😄

• Like 3

Is “secret codes from alphabets” a reference to QAnon? If so…damn that’s a good fucking line lol.

• Like 4

Yesterday I had Coma City, Fancy Sauce, and Goodnight Adeline stuck in my head and this morning, I woke up with this one in my head!  This one has definitely grown on me since first hearing it!  The chorus is very Longshot.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1