10 - Suzie Chapstick - Song Discussion

Liam

3 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

I really adore this song. It's so beautiful in how melancholic it is, and I also find it relatable — whether it's a romantic relationship, friendship, or familial relationship, I think we've all situations where we fell out for one reason or another and now that person we love is a stranger, even if we wish we could take back what happened. 

You have the interpretation exactly right

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

I really adore this song. It's so beautiful in how melancholic it is, and I also find it relatable — whether it's a romantic relationship, friendship, or familial relationship, I think we've all had situations where we fell out for one reason or another and now that person we love is a stranger, even if we wish we could take back what happened. 

Amen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

You have the interpretation exactly right

I hope Suzie Chapstick and Billie Joe find a way to make it right.  ;)

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 8:05 PM, Vintage Disciple said:

It's heartbreaking right?!  First listen I was so emotional...I was like my name is really Suzie and I'll be your friend.  Is this another song about Amanda?  

On 1/19/2024 at 11:34 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

Can’t say who but it’s not about Amanda

I think it’s the other one he seems to use a lot for song lyrics. The “new” one from the past 20 years. The long lost valentine the ghost he’s been chasing from a long long time ago. Suzie Chapstick even echos some of those lyrics from some of the Trilogy and Longshot songs. I am glad she made it to at least one of the songs on the new album. I think it’s her the same character from Chasing a Ghost and Stay the Night etc.

I wonder who this is. I hope they get to work it out whatever it is if this is a real person.

The heartbreaking songs are so good. This is my favorite song on the album.

7 hours ago, That Dude said:

I actually really do hope so! This is the most interesting story through the songs I want to see what happens…

• Like 4

13 hours ago, That Dude said:

Im going to rip off this song and call it That Dude

3 hours ago, Thatsername said:

I agree with this so much. I think the song can  have a very different meaning for everyone. For me personally, it reminds me of a friendship that fell apart during the pandemic (like many other friendships, I guess). Covid wasn’t the main reason though, that friend had started to get radicalized and involved in a right-wing movement long before, but I didn’t want to see it. At some point, I couldn’t take it anymore and broke up contact. I still miss this person sometimes, but I miss a version of him that no longer exists and that will never return. The song captures those mixed, happy-sad, nostalgic and melancholic feelings in a perfect way.

I can really relate to this (minus the specifics since thats your personal story).

The bass player from my old band is living as a shell of someone he used to be. We have hung out since and made amends in some way but boy, that made it worse. I showed up with the same spirit and he sat there like a depressed sack of shit. Mind you, he told me he had a great time.

That’s a great time for you? Yikes!

Obviously there’s something mental there so I didn’t want to stir the pot. I stay friendly, wish for the best, keep my integrity and keep my distance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Im going to rip off this song and call it That Dude

I can really relate to this (minus the specifics since thats your personal story).

The bass player from my old band is living as a shell of someone he used to be. We have hung out since and made amends in some way but boy, that made it worse. I showed up with the same spirit and he sat there like a depressed sack of shit. Mind you, he told me he had a great time.

That’s a great time for you? Yikes!

Obviously there’s something mental there so I didn’t want to stir the pot. I stay friendly, wish for the best, keep my integrity and keep my distance.

My name is Cavallo, his long lost son / bald on the fourth of July/Raised in New era of nothing but cons....

Wrong song, because I'm a punishment rocker on labor day.

4 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I think it’s the other one he seems to use a lot for song lyrics. The “new” one from the past 20 years. The long lost valentine the ghost he’s been chasing from a long long time ago. Suzie Chapstick even echos some of those lyrics from some of the Trilogy and Longshot songs. I am glad she made it to at least one of the songs on the new album. I think it’s her the same character from Chasing a Ghost and Stay the Night etc.

I wonder who this is. I hope they get to work it out whatever it is if this is a real person.

The heartbreaking songs are so good. This is my favorite song on the album.

I actually really do hope so! This is the most interesting story through the songs I want to see what happens…

Thanks for this.  Afterwards, I was thinking it can't be about Amanda as he literally named her in the song Amanda so what's the point of singing about her anonymously now.  I was thinking about the Trilogy specifically because didn't he write alot of those songs when he was doing AI on broadway?  Possibly developed feelings for someone from that timeframe...i.e.:  Stay the Night, See you Tonight, and of course 8th Avenue Serenade.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, UK-bradders said:

I have been trying to work out what this reminded me of since Friday, and its not Dilemma by Nelly, its this.

https://youtu.be/0Co6zPn1u54?feature=shared

It’s been driving me crazy, too. While it does sound like both the Nelly song and the one you just shared, those weren’t the ones I was thinking of. I’m hearing some kind of Frank Sinatra song with a trumpet or something. 

Maybe I’m just thinking of Copacabana, but that’s only similar. I feel like I heard this EXACT melody before! 

1 hour ago, Vintage Disciple said:

Thanks for this.  Afterwards, I was thinking it can't be about Amanda as he literally named her in the song Amanda so what's the point of singing about her anonymously now.  I was thinking about the Trilogy specifically because didn't he write alot of those songs when he was doing AI on broadway?  Possibly developed feelings for someone from that timeframe...i.e.:  Stay the Night, See you Tonight, and of course 8th Avenue Serenade.  

Agreed about the after AI maybe during the broadway shows writing timeline. Foxboro Hot Tubs songs also seem to be from around that time which sort of fits with some of the subject matter of the Trilogy and the Longshot. It seems to be a 20 year time frame from someone he hasn’t seen since then. I wonder who this is? They seem really weirdly powerful for him to have such an effect. It’s like she’s all in his imagination but does seem to actually exist in real life or if it’s more than one person? Seems to be just the one. I love these songs with this person they’re so heartbreaking and interesting. The mystery and anonymous aspect makes it even more interesting. I wonder if they even know it’s them?

”Maybe I’ll see you tonight.” And then seems they never see each other again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vintage Disciple said:

I interpreted it as Suzie Chapstick being a character in a similar vein to Gloria. I know part of the record was inspired or written in the later stages of the pandemic. Perhaps that’s where that first verse stems from?

Even that “outside my window” part would make a lot of sense. But those saying it could be about Amanda could be right.

I could write 8 songs about something that deep just because a rollercoaster ride of emotions and events can make you feel so many different ways. 

It’s storytelling, could be characters used to highlight specific feelings or emotions, could be a true account, could be a dream he had etc

I think sometimes we’re always looking for that literal event when maybe there isn’t one? I hardly think JK Rowling went to magic school.

• Like 1

Can confirm that my roommate, who is Finnish and whose uncle is in a Finnish rock band, says it does sound like Finnish rock.

She added it to her playlist, lol

• Haha 2

I’ve listened to the record many times over the past couple of weeks and Suzie Chapstick was my fav song on first listen and it stayed that way. I love the way the song feels and sounds.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 5:22 PM, Paola17 said:

Can confirm that my roommate, who is Finnish and whose uncle is in a Finnish rock band, says it does sound like Finnish rock.

She added it to her playlist, lol

Fucking told ya.

Still not a fan although I don't passionately hate it as I did when it came out. Still at the bottom of my favorites from Saviors.