10 - Suzie Chapstick - Song Discussion

Liam

Can’t get out of my mind how much it sounds like a Fountains of Wayne song.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Definitely worst song in the album. It gives me too much classic finnish rock vibes and even if I could ignore that, song simply isn't just great with mediocre chorus and whole ''Ba, ba-da-da, ba-ba-ba-da-da-da-da'' sequence sounds incredibly cliché and annoying instead of sweet and beautiful that it was going for. Lyrics are okay, but that's it. Disappointing song when every other track is a banger.

3 hours ago, Miko said:

Definitely worst song in the album. It gives me too much classic finnish rock vibes and even if I could ignore that, song simply isn't just great with mediocre chorus and whole ''Ba, ba-da-da, ba-ba-ba-da-da-da-da'' sequence sounds incredibly cliché and annoying instead of sweet and beautiful that it was going for. Lyrics are okay, but that's it. Disappointing song when every other track is a banger.

I might have to search for some finnish rock then because I love this song a lot haha 🥰

• Like 3

I love this one. One of my top 3 for sure. Can relate to the lyrics…

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jengd said:

Sounds liked the Beach Boys and the Beatles through the Green Day blender.  😂 it is sweet and melodic, a moments calm.  I like the ba ba da da’s, Tre is smashing it.  Feels very 60’s to me, especially the ending.

Probably explains why it’s my favorite from the album so far

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Seanz25 said:

Can’t get out of my mind how much it sounds like a Fountains of Wayne song.

Glad you said it. Just listened to the album for the first time and instantly logged in to say exactly this. It's remarkable how much it sounds like it came straight off one of the latter FoW albums. 

• Love 1

Definitely my favourite after the singles

• Like 1

^^^ saame. I got teary eyed when I got to this song. It's pretty much been on repeat since last night!!! 

• Like 2

This seems to be the one a lot of people don’t love, and I get it seems a little unexciting next to some of the other songs, but it kinda hit me emotionally on first listen. The guitar in the beginning is pretty and melancholic, and I love some of the lyrics:

Did we get over our innocence?
Did we take the time to make amends?
Will you dedicate a song to me?
Do you want me to just go away
I just want to be your nobody
Is there any chance that I can stay?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

This seems to be the one a lot of people don’t love, and I get it seems a little unexciting to some of the other songs, but it kinda hit me emotionally on first listen The guitar in the beginning is pretty and melancholic, and I love some of the lyrics:

It's heartbreaking right?!  First listen I was so emotional...I was like my name is really Suzie and I'll be your friend.  Is this another song about Amanda?  

• Like 3

I'm loving this right now. Just imaging listening to this on a nice quiet beach. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

This seems to be the one a lot of people don’t love, and I get it seems a little unexciting to some of the other songs, but it kinda hit me emotionally on first listen The guitar in the beginning is pretty and melancholic, and I love some of the lyrics:

I literally cried my eyes out on the first listen

• Like 3

I'm always thinking about Dilemma when I hear this song (not the Green Day song tho)

3 hours ago, Vintage Disciple said:

It's heartbreaking right?!  First listen I was so emotional...I was like my name is really Suzie and I'll be your friend.  Is this another song about Amanda?  

Can’t say who but it’s not about Amanda

• Like 1

My favorite song off Saviors! Echoing Beatles and Beach Boys; generally surf rock of the 70s.

• Like 1

This album has no skips for me but this ranks near the bottom for me. Not enough interesting moments for me to make it a standout. Oddly enough I keep expecting to hear a cowbell in this one because it reminds me a little bit of Don’t Fear The Reaper 😂

Suzie Katayama is the orchestra contractor for the record.   Coincidence?    This is another way the record reminds me of Weezer, who sang about Suzie Shinn on one of their latest records.   Haha.   Lyrically, it's probably about one of Billie's ex's or wanna be/imagined love interests, but these real people could have inspired the name.  

• Like 1

I also hear some Belle and Sebastian in there too. I think this one wins the ‘Earworm of the album’ award

• Like 1