05 - Dilemma - Song Discussion

Liam

Still one of the best on record! Loved this one since debut 💙

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Same, this was love at first listen for me and it's still my favourite although I absolutely love all the other songs too. I think it's one of the most personal, honest and bravest songs Billie has ever written.

• Love 2

9 hours ago, jengd said:

Agreed, hit hard first time I heard it and it still does.  The lyrics and the emotion he sings with, his whole delivery is really something.  The more I listen the more I hear, I think @LaughingClock mentioned the last note in the intro is wrong, we can only assume it’s deliberate to jar and I think maybe @Montclare said that first drum hit is almost like Billie hitting the floor.  It’s so direct, so brave and such a banger.  Love it.

I think the floor comment was me :lol: But I'm still loving this song. I love Billie's vocals on this. The little affect he has on the end of lines like "walkING!!!" It's so good!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Grohl said:

I think the floor comment was me :lol: But I'm still loving this song. I love Billie's vocals on this. The little affect he has on the end of lines like "walkING!!!" It's so good!

Sorry, so many threads moving so quickly!

• Haha 1

When I first heard this, it felt like my heart was doing somersaults because I just couldn’t believe that this song exists at all and is such a powerful sounding one at that. I *adore* Billie’s emotional vocals on this track — @The Grohl I think the way he yells “walkING” is my favorite part of the whole album. I went on to listen to it a million times before the album came out, so it took me by surprise when I listened to it as part of the full album and it made me cry. It’s such a raw and brave song and I really think it’s remarkable that Billie chose not only to share it, but to keep talking about its meaning. He could very easily just…not do any of that. It’s very special. 

In terms of its level of honesty, the only song that compares for me is Ghost by Badflower, which is a super intense and emotional song about suicide (definitely not a good one to listen to if you’re struggling, but if you’re okay, I highly recommend it). It’s breathtaking and was the first time I heard such a nakedly honest song before. Dilemma is the same.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, billy1986 said:

Still shocked this song has not charted 

It's going to be on alternative airplay (35), rock and alternative airplay (25), and Canada rock (35) but since a few other charts don't update til Tuesday, I hadn't updated it yet.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 6:19 PM, Montclare said:

It's going to be on alternative airplay (35), rock and alternative airplay (25), and Canada rock (35) but since a few other charts don't update til Tuesday, I hadn't updated it yet.

No other charts than these.

• Like 1

The best song on the album and the only song I've heard since probably AI which on the first attempt made me feel like an excited teenager listening to my favourite band again. 

Problem is, I absolutely caned it pre-release so it's a skip for me at the moment. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/20/2024 at 2:57 AM, jengd said:

Agreed, hit hard first time I heard it and it still does.  The lyrics and the emotion he sings with, his whole delivery is really something.  The more I listen the more I hear, I think @LaughingClock mentioned the last note in the intro is wrong, we can only assume it’s deliberate to jar and I think maybe @Montclare said that first drum hit is almost like Billie hitting the floor.  It’s so direct, so brave and such a banger.  Love it.

Even moreso than a jarring note....its a chromatic pattern similar to last night on earth, and it builds I think in the last third of the song. It's also used in the verses. This song is definitely the mega-hit for this album IMO, even though American Dream has done commercially better (which I think is unfair since it's the main single)

• Like 3