01 - The American Dream Is Killing Me - Song Discussion

Liam

Weird how after the release of the later singles and now the album people's opinion of this song seems to have worsened. I still think it's a great song, especially lyrically and I also think it suits the album rather well as an opener. Not my favourite song, nor the best in my view, but a solid track nonetheless. 

• Like 3

Great song but I don't think it's my favourite, not that I could say which is.  Good solid song though,  classic Green Day maybe I have just played it too much right now.  Great lyrics, do not understand why radio stations are bleeping peadophiles, it's not a swear word, it's the activity that's wrong!  Romps along at break neck speed and was probably a good choice as a first single.  This sounds more negative than I feel about it I think.  

• Like 1

Still love this single. It's on par with Bang Bang for me. Think it's a great way to kick off the album and this era.

• Like 4

I think this is an awesome song and a great opener. There’s so much energy behind it, it’s exhilarating to listen to even though I’ve played it 100 times already.

• Like 3

I love this song. What more do you want from Green Day? Come on! Clap clap.

• Like 1

If the boys decide to open with this I think it would be epic and really get things going

• Like 3

I'm watching the Texans vs. Ravens NFL game on ABC and an ad just aired for the TV show "The Conners" and TADIKM was the background music! Mostly instrumental until the last few seconds where Billie sang "the American dream is killing me". Makes me soooo want the instrumental version of this song.

EDIT: Oh, here it is

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard it again this morning on a promo for The Connors show.

What are the chart numbers looking like for this week? Or do I have to look somewhere else?

honestly I get so confused now which forum has which chart updates 🤣

So what was the point of putting a 1981 sign in the music video? Was there a link or nothing at all?

Can anyone explain this lyric to me:

"People on the street, unemployed and obsolete/Did you ever learn to read the ransom note?"

What's the meaning/point being made by the read the ramsom note part? It's an important enough line that it's singled out separately from the rest of the song but I don't get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Can anyone explain this lyric to me:

"People on the street, unemployed and obsolete/Did you ever learn to read the ransom note?"

What's the meaning/point being made by the read the ramsom note part? It's an important enough line that it's singled out separately from the rest of the song but I don't get it.

It’s like saying your future (the promise of the American Dream) was stolen from you. If there’s a ransom note, read it and see what you have to pay/do to get it back.

• Like 3

I imagine it's an unpayable ransom. Billie talked about how his folks were able to buy a house, car and support their children but that nowadays that's an impossible goal for so many young people and as such you're forever held to ransom by the system or something like that. As such the American Dream is a lie

• Like 4

I read it like an eviction notice, or pay your rent or you'll be evicted.

• Like 1