Billie Joe has joined Threads

jengd

I can’t get on, I assume because I don’t have the app but am seeing this post or ones like it from a number of people this morning. For those without IG, it seems to be a screenshot from Threads of Billie Joe’s account and his comment “now what”.

https://instagram.com/stories/greendaynews/3140561526891799659?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=Y2I2MzMwZWM3ZA==

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jengd said:

I can’t get on, I assume because I don’t have the app but am seeing this post or ones like it from a number of people this morning. For those without IG, it seems to be a screenshot from Threads of Billie Joe’s account and his comment “now what”.

https://instagram.com/stories/greendaynews/3140561526891799659?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=Y2I2MzMwZWM3ZA==

Have the app. It's part of Instagram, and is alternative to and essentially works like Twitter.

• Like 1

I am trying to resist getting more and more of these, but if he’s actually going to use this one and like he used to use Twitter then I may have to! Still holding out against TikTok though 😁

I see it’s not in Europe for now so that sorts that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jengd said:

I am trying to resist getting more and more of these, but if he’s actually going to use this one and like he used to use Twitter then I may have to! Still holding out against TikTok though 😁

I see it’s not in Europe for now so that sorts that.

It's available in UK totalling 100 countries world wide, but not in EU due to regulatory concerns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pcj said:

It's available in UK totalling 100 countries world wide, but not in EU due to regulatory concerns.

Of course, we aren’t in EU anymore 🙄🤬

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

What’s he gonna do next? Play Zuckerbergs wedding? 

Not very leftist of him.

• Like 1

Well I've joined Threads and activated the little bell on Billie.

• Like 4

Sooo Threads is a new social media platform? ...great 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SARAH VINE: Millions have signed up for Mark Zuckerberg's Twitter killer. But if anyone thinks Threads will be less toxic, they're twits!

By SARAH VINE FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:00, 6 July 2023 | UPDATED: 22:27, 6 July 2023

After months of mudslinging and childish name-calling (whoever said being a multi-billionaire tech genius made you a grown up?), the ongoing feud between Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg came to a head yesterday with the launch of Threads, the latter's rival to Twitter.

When Musk launches things, they have a tendency to crash within seconds, usually somewhere off the coast of Mexico. By contrast, Zuckerberg's digital lift-off was seamless. Within minutes of the UK launch at midnight on Wednesday, the platform was alive with new accounts. Many were existing Twitter users who, like myself, had joined partly to see what all the fuss was about, and partly in response to Musk's endless twiddling with the platform in increasingly desperate attempts to make it profitable after spending $44billion (£38.1billion) buying it last year. (Musk's latest ruse is to limit the number of Tweets users can see.)

I must confess I've never been there at the very start of a social media platform. I've always been a latecomer to the party, joining slightly under duress because I had to, either for work or just because, as one millennial once put it to me, 'if you're not on social media, do you even exist?' When Musk launches things, they have a tendency to crash within seconds, usually somewhere off the coast of Mexico. By contrast, Zuckerberg's digital lift-off was seamless. Within minutes of the UK launch at midnight on Wednesday, the platform was alive with new accounts 

This time, I got in on the fun right from the start. I say 'fun'; it was a bit like one of those parties where you turn up far too early because you've finished work but don't have time to go home first. So you spend the first half-hour just standing awkwardly sipping warm white wine in a corner wearing the wrong shoes, wondering whether anyone you know is actually coming, or whether you should just scoff as many canapes as you can and cut your losses. But then, all at once, they came.

Old familiar faces, the famous, the not-so-famous: with surprising speed the room began to fill up, the virtual murmurs of conversation rising to an almost deafening cacophony. Zuckerberg claimed there had been 10 million sign-ups within the first seven hours. By 5pm that figure had risen to 30 million across 100 countries. Hurrah! (Then someone pointed out that this was only going to make Nick Clegg richer. Not so hurrah.)

It was a riot. There were endless memes taking the mickey out of Musk; lots of earnest 'let's all join hands in peace and love and not ever be mean to each other' declarations. One man posted a very rude picture of himself in his bathroom mirror, supposedly to demonstrate the absence of moderation, but really to show off his six pack (and beyond). The Whitney Museum of American Art started posting pictures of works featuring actual pieces of material ('threads', see what they did there?); a screenshot of Musk's Twitter account saying 'just downloaded threads it absolutely f****** sucks' went viral. Ed Balls posted simply 'Ed Balls' (a reference to that time, when searching for mentions of himself on Twitter, he accidentally just tweeted his own name), which brought the house down. There were lots of pictures of pets.

As a platform, it's clearly been designed by someone who likes mindfulness apps. There's a worthy little feature that allows you to set a reminder to take a break when you spend a certain amount of time on it – every 10, 20 or 30 minutes. You can set your account to private, and there's no D-emming (direct messaging) to discourage trolls (even though, of course, the entire thing is effectively a giant trolling of Twitter). If I had to sum it up so far, I'd say that if Twitter is very Generation X (a bit old-school, quite fighty, likes a cheeky fag around the back of the bike sheds), Threads is more millennial. Avocados, shades of pink, personal pronouns, cute little signs saying 'be nice'. Or that's the vibe, anyway. For now.

Personally, I can't help thinking that anyone who believes it's somehow going to end up being less toxic than Twitter is deluding themselves. It's not the technology that makes a platform nasty, it's people – and I can see no material difference between Twitter and Threads that is likely to change that. Indeed, if anything there's already rather a lot of unpleasant smugness on Threads that doesn't exactly cast users in the best light.

I suspect at the end of the day this will come down to personal choice. It's a bit like the old Blur vs Oasis, Beatles vs Rolling Stones, PC vs Mac thing. Zuckerberg vs Musk: which tribe do you belong to? Me, I'm still team Elon. Yes, he's bonkers, spends too much money firing off rockets into space and treats Twitter like his own personal train set (mainly because it is). But I like his chaotic energy. Zuckerberg, by contrast, has all the charisma of a boiled frog, while also giving off rather sinister vibes.

Meta – which also owns Facebook and Instagram – seems intent on taking over the world; Musk just seems to want to get off it, which strikes me as infinitely more interesting. Ultimately, only time with tell whether mighty Meta will bring Twitter to heel. Until then, I have just one burning question: if Twitterers tweet, what do Threaders do? Sew? Stitch? Needle? Embroider? Answers on a virtual postcard, please.

Oops! 

Twitter has spit it's dummy out of the pram. It's threatening legal action against Meta's Threads.

There's gonna be a fight. lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Threads is stupid because it takes far more data than you from Twitter and also if you wanna delete the account... you have to delete your IG as well.

I'm sure that won't be an issue for Billie though, considering how many times he's done so in the past.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pcj said:

Oops! 

Twitter has spit it's dummy out of the pram. It's threatening legal action against Meta's Threads.

There's gonna be a fight. lol.

elon couldn't fight sleep so meta have nothing to worry about 

• Haha 1

It's really shit how we constantly have to choose whichever site is just the less shit site. Like, why can't we just get a good site with not shitty people everywhere you go, functionality and not having a bunch of your personal information and data taken

As shitty as some of the decisions are, YouTube is the only "social media" website that has been consistently decent (at least comparatively)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 7/6/2023 at 12:27 PM, The Grohl said:

Sooo Threads is a new social media platform? ...great 🙄

Yeah, can't we just merge them all into one all knowing, all powerful super computer?    Nothing bad will happen, I promise.   And we could chat with Billie about all our thoughts on his music.   

• Haha 2

I can barely keep up with 2 social media accounts. Now I'm supposed to add another? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

I can barely keep up with 2 social media accounts. Now I'm supposed to add another? :lol:

Same, and the amount of dross you need to get through to see what you are actually there for!

• Like 4

On 7/6/2023 at 12:40 PM, Little Boy Named Booze said:

What the hell is Threads and why did I thought Billie has posted in a thread on GDC this morning?

I thought the exact same thing😆 I had no idea there was a social media platform called Threads. Just what the world needs, another one of those🙄 Think I'm getting old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thatsername said:

I thought the exact same thing😆 I had no idea there was a social media platform called Threads. Just what the world needs, another one of those🙄 Think I'm getting old.

GD fans don't grow old, their music won't let you. 18 forever. ❤️

• Like 3

GDA: News from Billie... he's in a new social media platform called Threads!!;)👍

Me: Guys... I barely check FB🙄.

I suppose we get now another social media platform to... get news/teasers about 1972???🙄

P.S.: Am I the only who don't give a F¨¨k about these SM platforms??? Or is it just that next year I'll be 40??? or... both???🙄

• Like 4