New Song: "Here Comes the Shock"

Sanity Loan

For a song I'm not really into, that hook is stuck in my head right now.

8 hours ago, GRNSTR10 said:

Haha, well, even if it's just an audience of one (you), I'll do it, especially because for some reason the narrative that the song is about Warner has taken hold that I feel ignores the other social context/language.

So, here we go: this is why I think "Here Comes the Shock" is about the BLM protests and riots last summer from the perspective of people who either protested or sympathize with the protestors. The song is done in the style of a classic rock and roll/power pop song that could earn corporate approval (NHL).

Gonna do this via a line by line lyric dissection:

"Here comes the shock"

As I mentioned, I think this is a direct reference to how surprised people feel when there are videos showcasing police brutality or racism. It feels almost mocking, like, how can we as a society be shocked by this each time it happens when it feels like it happens so often?

"We got the numbers, gonna rumble in the street"

The BLM protests were the largest and most multi-racial coalition to take to the streets in response to police brutality in the world's history. The numbers of bodies in the street was literally staggering. And, often in these protests, protestors had violent clashes with police in the city streets. 

"We’re screaming bloody murder, We’re gonna take it to the grave"

BLM has been around since 2012, but calls for racial equality have been around for about as long as the history of the country. Calls for change have been happening and may leaders have been assassinated or killed for voicing their protest (take it to the grave). Additionally, there seemed to be widespread criticism of the media's coverage of the George Floyd killing for not labeling his death as a murder. 

"Bebop a lula baby, Annie get your gun"

These are both references to classic rock and roll songs, a nod to the genre's history and the attempt to recreate the same style with this song. 

"We’re gonna shoot it baby gonna do some damage and some damage will be done"

Shoot here could infer the shooting of these police brutality incidents via camera video. The damage lines I think refer to the rioting that took place in response to frustration at police departments and society as a whole for failing to making meaningful change to address racism. 

"Here comes the shock"

Basically a refrain mocking the surprise that people feel, not only at the unarmed killings, but now also the surprise that community members respond to police brutality and lack of change through violent frustration as was the case in the 1960s with the Watts riots, the 1990s with the Rodney King riots and now the riots last summer. 

"We got the creatures and we got no place to go"

Feel like this line is in reference that the Black community is living in a country with nefarious people who want them dead ('creatures') and the line about 'no place to go' references that the Black community was brought here against their will and do not have a home to return to so they must make change here now. 

"We’re screaming truth to power, From the barrio"

And this is the line that clued me in to the message of the song in totality. 'Truth to power' is a common refrain of protestors and civil rights activists. Barrio is a term used for predominantly brown communities in the United States, so a faction of the protests are coming from traditionally minority communities which has historically been the case.

"We are the broken records, Sitting in the sun"

I believe this recalls/references the fact that protests and calls for social justice have been around for a LONG TIME. Some of the same demands and slogans have been used for decades without feeling like real change has happened, hence feeling like a broken record. Sitting in the sun could be an obvious reference to the fact that the protests took place last summer, or that records get warped or melt when left in the sun which could mean that the refusal to hear these call for change could lead to distortions or just transformations of what the movement will look like. 

"Turn up the amplifier, Gonna do some damage and some damage will be done"

Basically, we're gonna get louder and do what we gotta do to have our message heard even if that means a riot. 

"Here comes the shock"

Think it's clear by now what I think this line means. Would be even more interesting if the original line actually was, "Here comes the shot". 

I would end with that, while I know many people are frustrated or disappointed in the song, that this read of the song makes it more interesting to me and is fun test case of how to smuggle a protest song through corporate sponsorship into the masses. 

Wow! I honestly never would've thought about the song in that context. Personally, I don't know if that's what the song is about, but I certainly appreciate your argument and how detailed it is!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

It is subjective until you get to a category where it’s not anymore because you come to the same conclusion no matter what. If it’s a matter of consensus, then this song isn’t very good at all, since so few people seem to be excited about it.  If it’s a matter of creating something unique, then it also isn’t great, since a big part of the lyrics is recycled from older songs. If the point is in writing a nice catchy melody, then it’s also questionable, since a common complaint is that it’s annoyingly repetitive. So whose idea of quality has it that HCTS is a quality song? What standard do I need to hold it up to to come to the conclusion that it’s good?

I saw somebody say the narrative of the song was about WB, I hope that’s not from what I said. Their freedom has allowed them to do more things the way they want and that’s all I meant just ftr.

5 hours ago, Clockwise said:

Nah it's always subjective.

Holy shit, not having a go at you Beer but that made me spit out my sprite after reading your very clear description but in the end yes; it is in fact by science always subjective. Even that the sun will come up tomorrow is subjective because you can’t state it as fact, it’s all just a theory based on that’s what’s happened every day you’ve been alive but it’s also true that one day; it won’t. (That is why they say there are no facts in science).

Needlesstosay, you sort of missed what I was getting at when I said that. Somebody, and that might not be you might be looking for something else. Not to mention, I’ve seen entire albums get ripped to shreds, only to become classics. I’m not saying this is one of them and if truth be told, I don’t love the song and I reserve the right to love it in the future but maybe, just maybe, you don’t know what’s coming. For example the part of JOS where they rally “I don’t care if you don’t, I don’t care if you don’t. I don’t care if you don’t care” without the part leading in and out, sucks IN MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION but when you put all the pieces of the song together you get a masterpiece. Hold on. :)

Has anyone here yet gotten the most in your face part of the song? The name? 

Speaking of the sun coming up. George Harrison famously wrote “HCTS” long before Billie Joe and he was coming off a trip looking at the sun coming out and thought to himself. “Things are going to be just fine”. Apparently, BJA doesn’t feel the same at the moment:

7 hours ago, GRNSTR10 said:

My disappointment has been that because of the band's decision to focus more on the more standard rock&roll/power pop genre, lyrics are taken at their absolute literal and surface level meaning when I think there is more going on if we dig a little deeper under the surface. 

Though, can't say I'm a fan of the coke sniffing bit. 

What about Brain Stew? That song was literally about the aftermath of a night of skiing amphetamines all night. 

Yeah, if you can’t handle the lyrics, wrong band.   Billie has never been one to remove his past from his present or future and the man has partied hard enough for 30 men his size so you’ll have to forgive a few lyrics. “The clock is laughing in your face” - BJA(Brain Stew/Jaded)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jonny smith said:

Why aren’t people getting it? The video is a satire on all those YouTube cringey lockdown workout videos. And we all would bop to it if we were at their show. 
have they released better? Of course. But this is still cool

Yeah I actually think the video is pretty cool too, it's classic Green Day humor! I had no idea something called Punkrock Aerobics actually exists, lol. I must confess, I've been doing a lot of YouTube-workouts since the pandemic started and the music in most of them sucks so much I always turn the volume down. I always thought that there should be a workout with rock or punk songs. And there is 😄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

I’m sorry but I think you’re straying from the subject instead of responding to me. I say tell me what criteria do I judge this song by to make it good.

The fact that you say we should cut him some slack because his brain might be a little fried from drug use doesn’t make it any better.

For the record, I do cut this song a lot of slack by assuming it’s a b-side/something they gave to the NHL. 

2 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

How the hell could they think that cutting the music between the verse and the chorus to sing ''Gonna do some damage and some damage will be done'' could be good?
It's sounds awful.

And please don't tell me that cutting the music is a reference about Warner because I'm gonna lose my mind.

It’s like a song made to help kids memorize the passive voice in English :lol:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

How the hell could they think that cutting the music between the verse and the chorus to sing ''Gonna do some damage and some damage will be done'' could be good?
It's sounds awful.

And please don't tell me that cutting the music is a reference about Warner because I'm gonna lose my mind.

That has butch written all over it

16 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Interestingly, nothing Green Day has released since the trilogy has been nearly as good as the trilogy 🤔

Because the trilogy is 90's Green Day with a terrible production

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

It's sounds awful.

I like that part :D

6 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

What about Brain Stew? That song was literally about the aftermath of a night of skiing amphetamines all night. 

Yeah, if you can’t handle the lyrics, wrong band.   Billie has never been one to remove his past from his present or future and the man has partied hard enough for 30 men his size so you’ll have to forgive a few lyrics. “The clock is laughing in your face” - BJA(Brain Stew/Jaded)

Total agreement. I admire how honest Billie has been about his struggles and how he doesn't sugarcoat stuff. It's a message that is needed right now.

16 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I stand by my belief that every Green Day song has a meaning.  It may not be deep or philosophical (or even literal) but it always expresses a feeling borne out of life events.  It's never about nothing.  So trying to parse out the meaning is part of the fun.  Just because he often deliberately obscures the meaning doesn't make it about nothing. Not ever.

I want to say Mike said something like this in an interview...the songs are always about something and if you get into Billie's brain somehow, he's going to write a song about you/it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

I don't think it is since the woman's youtube channel is exactly the same thing and that isn't satire, it's just workout routines done to punk music. The video is referencing lockdown but it's not sneering at anything, it's just a genuine positive message of keeping fit in a fun way and enjoying music during lockdown. I think Green Day are a long way from being edgy teenagers who think doing something harmlessly fun and healthy is "cringe". 

Wait, this is a real fitness instructor? I thought they hired some rando for a silly video LOL. Now this makes me want to get back into my workout routine LOL

4 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

It's a message that is needed right now.

If the cocaine sniff is a message that is needed for Billie then it's stupid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

If the cocaine sniff is a message that is needed for Billie then it's stupid.

I think you have missed the point--again--and I am getting tired of explaining it LOL. 

3 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

I think you have missed the point--again--and I am getting tired of explaining it LOL. 

Sorry if you already explained it on last pages I didn't read everything I skipped some pages lol. My bad.
Where did I missed my point --again-- tho?

12 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

Wait, this is a real fitness instructor? I thought they hired some rando for a silly video LOL. Now this makes me want to get back into my workout routine LOL

Looks like it yeah, musician who started a "Punk Rock Aerobics" exercise program

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilken_Mancini

I think she just did some youtube videos because of lockdown (she only has a few videos and a few hundred views) but has been doing the program for a long time. I wonder how they heard of her/thought of the idea of having her do the video.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Sorry if you already explained it on last pages I didn't read everything I skipped some pages lol. My bad.
Where did I missed my point --again-- tho?

To me, the point if we are talking about drugs is Billie being honest about his struggles. I think that is important in a time when no one is OK and a lot of people are turning to substances. You have to drag these issues out into the light if you want to do anything about them. You can't hide them away in silence and shame. 

On a broader level, I do think the song addresses some rebellion against all that is going on in the world right now and the shallowness of society. Given their feud with Warner I think that could have served as inspiration, but also the point remains valid even without that. I do agree with others that they disguised some relatively deep social commentary as a light fun song for a hockey game as a way to smuggle out something deep that is still palatable to the masses.

6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Looks like it yeah, musician who started a "Punk Rock Aerobics" exercise program

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilken_Mancini

I think she just did some youtube videos because of lockdown (she only has a few videos and a few hundred views) but has been doing the program for a long time. I wonder how they heard of her/thought of the idea of having her do the video.

Well looking at the Wikipedia page she is also a musician so that is probably how they knew of her. I can't believe she's 51 years old! She doesn't look past 30 in the video. Of course we can usually say the same thing about Billie. It's official people: punk rock is the fountain of youth. 

Also noticing that the workout program was formed in response to rigid societal standards around body image. So this brings an even bigger "fuck you society" piece. They definitely knew what they were doing with this.

4 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

To me, the point if we are talking about drugs is Billie being honest about his struggles. I think that is important in a time when no one is OK and a lot of people are turning to substances. You have to drag these issues out into the light if you want to do anything about them. You can't hide them away in silence and shame. 

On a broader level, I do think the song addresses some rebellion against all that is going on in the world right now and the shallowness of society. Given their feud with Warner I think that could have served as inspiration, but also the point remains valid even without that. I do agree with others that they disguised some relatively deep social commentary as a light fun song for a hockey game as a way to smuggle out something deep that is still palatable to the masses.

Okay I think you're looking too far into the song.
For my part I learnt to never look too deep into Green Day song because half of the time everything they're doing doesn't make any sense anyway 😂

And why the part in the video where she's playing air guitar is the only time we don't have any guitars sound in the song...
Anyway.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Okay I think you're looking too far into the song.
For my part I learnt to never look too deep into Green Day song because half of the time everything they're doing doesn't make any sense anyway 😂

And why the part in the video where she's playing air guitar is the only time we don't have any guitars sound in the song...
Anyway.

I mean, if you listen to their interviews they talk about the depth they try to put into their songs and the issues they try to address, so that is what encourages me to look more deeply into their songs. I mean, they admit themselves what they do. They have made pretty clear that they don't just write stuff for the heck of it or that isn't about anything. 

Maybe they are just too deep for you LOL?

2 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

Maybe they are just too deep for you LOL?

What do you mean too deep for me?
I don't believe all their song have a serious meaning.
What I'm saying it that it is possible HCTS is just a fun song they wanted to write without having anything to do with BLM or anything. 

Just now, Little Boy Named Booze said:

What do you mean too deep for me?
I don't believe all their song have a serious meaning.
What I'm saying it that it is possible HCTS is just a fun song they wanted to write without having anything to do with BLM or anything. 

I mean you seem to prefer music that is very light and that you don't have to think too hard about. (Also it was kind of a joke, hence the LOL.)

And on that note, since it seems that this is what you think this is, I am actually surprised you don't like it.

Just now, BillieMyLove said:

I mean you seem to prefer music that is very light and that you don't have to think too hard about. (Also it was kind of a joke, hence the LOL.)

And on that note, since it seems that this is what you think this is, I am actually surprised you don't like it.

It's a shitty song, yeah.
Finding reference while looking deep into the lyrics doesn't mean that's what they meant. People can think it's BLM references but it's probably not even close.
Damn I'm sure we can find some serious references in KFAD or Fuck Time if we dig like crazies. But even tho; those song are just for funs and parties.

5 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

It's a shitty song, yeah.
Finding reference while looking deep into the lyrics doesn't mean that's what they meant. People can think it's BLM references but it's probably not even close.
Damn I'm sure we can find some serious references in KFAD or Fuck Time if we dig like crazies. But even tho; those song are just for funs and parties.

It doesn't necessarily have to be BLM, and I am not the person who brought up BLM (though I would not be surprised if that is at least part of it). But I also don't think it is reasonable to assume that it is not about anything at all other than a fun song of a hockey game. That interpretation just makes no sense to me because I just don't know why they would do that.