Father of all Motherfuckers - What are your thoughts on the new album?

BeachBum

silly question 

since this album (banger btw <3)has been released are green day now independent ? 

Just now, Uh Uh Count Your Money said:

silly question 

since this album (banger btw <3)has been released are green day now independent ? 

basically they are just out of there contract with warner. so now it's on them wether they want to go independent or not, i guess

53 minutes ago, Marina86 said:

I just listened to the Album (again) on my run. I didn't have much time, so I made it a fast 5k... and 26 minutes are pretty much perfect for that as well as the pace of the album!

It's not only the perfect record, it's the perfect workout tecord! 

Fast paced, but with a few calmer moments so you don't kill yourself going super fast.

• Like 1

Well dang I didn’t know Stab you in the heart was literally the exact song from these paper bullets. I thought it just held similarities so I wanted to listen to compare and it’s the exact same. 

4 minutes ago, That Dude said:

It's not only the perfect record, it's the perfect workout tecord! 

Fast paced, but with a few calmer moments so you don't kill yourself going super fast.

It is great to work out to, you're right!

• Like 1

I know this is a Green Day forum, so I tend to believe that people will try to defend their favorite band, which is totally fine. However I will try to give an opinion independent by my previous thoughts on Green Day. I personally doubt that people who do not know Green Day might really enjoy this album.

Subjectively, after the first three singles, I expected the album to be sounding somewhat anonymous. And that is how I still feel after listening it. The songs are not really bad, but they are relatively mediocre. Since it is Green Day, it is hard not to relate this album to their other more ambitious projects. Probably that is how I felt, that there is a lack of ambition. I am also still confused by their attitude, whether it is authentic or a commercial strategy.

Especially, I believe they try to target a younger audience, which is fine, but they way they do it seems cheap and way too commercial and corny -especially with the last music video-, a little in contradiction with what they claim they want to do.

Objectively, this album can maybe be more appropriately judged by how it performs in terms of sales and youtube views, in relation to both more popular artists or similar artists. My feeling is that it will not do well, this album might be too dull.

I would consider this a great album if it creates a larger following than Green Day already had (like with Dookie and American Idiot), if it moves and touches people that before did not know this music genre or band. I highly doubt this will happen. The lyrics probably do not really speak or hit most people, and the sound is not or not enough original/experimental/unique to reach larger crowds. 

Edited by Vacuum
  • Like 2

Still have to listen to it a couple of times in order to say how much I like it. 

What I noticed though, despite the mostly positive reviews, is that WHENEVER a new GD record comes out, I have to read about 3-5 reviews which basically say: "Look, it's Green Day, they suck because they're trying to make fast rock music despite being almost 50. Also, they're a stadium rock band, that sucks and isn't credible. The new music is bad, Dookie and AI are better." I legitimately read a review that said that they sound like a teenage cover band that hasn't found their sound yet. I mean guys, you can criticize their music, but do it on an objective level. Slamming them just because they are popular is not journalism. Seriously. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Still have to listen to it a couple of times in order to say how much I like it. 

What I noticed though, despite the mostly positive reviews, is that WHENEVER a new GD record comes out, I have to read about 3-5 reviews which basically say: "Look, it's Green Day, they suck because they're trying to make fast rock music despite being almost 50. Also, they're a stadium rock band, that sucks and isn't credible. The new music is bad, Dookie and AI are better." I legitimately read a review that said that they sound like a teenage cover band that hasn't found their sound yet. I mean guys, you can criticize their music, but do it on an objective level. Slamming them just because they are popular is not journalism. Seriously. 

God, I really hate this attitude of "they're old. Why the hell are they still trying to make music?" It's awesome that they want to create new music. Even if it's not their best material they still have enough fire and passion in them to make new music when they could easily coast on being a legacy act.

• Like 2

Green Day has been MY band since '95, and I know they are going on stadium tours and will probably gain more and more fans. I'm happy for them, but the selfish me would like them to do smaller shows around the world, so 'real' fans like myself can be able to see them play up close. That is like my biggest dream. The new album is great, in love with MMOTR and take the money and crawl 🥰

• Like 2

Fan since Dookie here. Great album.  As I said when the first singles came out, it's reminiscent of FBHT but with modern production. It still sounds like Green Day. Lots of energy. No complaints from me.

If their management/label is trying to repackage them for Gen Z or whatever, it's working. I work with youth for a living and they love all the new songs and are hyped for the new album. Just putting that out there.

Edit: I was trying to figure out why the melody on "Grafittia" sounds familiar. It's "Sometimes I Do" by Social Distortion. Anyone know if they gave Mike Ness any credit?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Can just say the harmonies on this record are fantastic. Brings me back to the early GD years.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, DadBod said:

Can just say the harmonies on this record are fantastic. Brings me back to the early GD years.

I feel you 100%. This is a time machine more than a record, and yet it sounds nothing like before. There are these magic moments that just make me high. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I preferred the ripped leaked version of Graffitia, the keyboards kinda drown out the guitar. Was my favourite until now but Meet me on the roof and sugar youth are great and junkies is good for the first minute and then it gets boring. I think I will probably get bored of this album after 2 weeks and it will just sit and collect dust for long periods of time whilst I listen to the rest of their back catalogue or sum41 order in decline or maybe any of the zebra head albums.

Don't hate it, don't love it, it's just missing that Green Day right hook.

Maybe it's just me getting old and it's maybe the sound that youngsters wanna hear now.

Edited by dookmeister333
  • Like 1

Just now, DookieLukie said:

So many reviews continuing this "end of contract, so they don't care" narrative. Just because a record is fun and laid back and not the usual Green Day political, message-heavy songwriting does NOT mean it is a lazy record. It feels like effort was put into this.

Seems to me that most of the reviewers got that, but I do agree with you. Also it’s not clear at all if they’re leaving Warner or not, so that’s just speculation at this point.

21 minutes ago, Insomniac186 said:

Edit: I was trying to figure out why the melody on "Grafittia" sounds familiar. It's "Sometimes I Do" by Social Distortion. Anyone know if they gave Mike Ness any credit?

Did Social Distortion ever give the Ramones credit for taking the riff of "Life's a Gas" for "When the Angels Sing"? (serious question, no sarcasm)

1 minute ago, Karl Karlson said:

Did Social Distortion ever give the Ramones credit for taking the riff of "Life's a Gas" for "When the Angels Sing"? (serious question, no sarcasm)

I mean I know a lot of songs that have similar melodies from the clash to social d. Some have even said bruno mars but don't think the rest of it sounds very similar. And in terms of social distortion, it almost immediately reminded me more of one of the songs from their most recent album. Can't remember which one though

2 minutes ago, Karl Karlson said:

I checked and apparently not. However, I mentioned Green Day giving Mike Ness credit because if GD realizes that the wrote something that sounds similar to a pre-existing song, they usually give the other artist credit. They gave The Struts credits on "Still Breathing" for example. I haven't seen the songwriting credits for FOAMF yet. I know Billie Joe and Mike Ness are friends so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him credit.

24 minutes ago, Insomniac186 said:

I think you are right and there are some similarities, but sometimes I do sounds like many other punk rock songs that came after 70’s punk rock music. The melody of that song takes a whole lot from the Clash, as Graffitia does, mixing it with many different stuff, so of course there are similarities. But if that’s a copy Green Day should share credits for many of his hits. 

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

How about SD giving credit to The Clash because the melody is totally from Bankrobber :P

I hear some Rudy Can't Fail 

• Like 1