“Oh Yeah!” Music Video

pacejunkie punk

1 hour ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

Was just reading the alt press article about the video and there’s something I don’t get....what do the gay and BDSM couple have to do with the rest of the video? Are they the example of living in the moment?

The gay couple weren’t real, it was virtual reality roleplay being played by the two in the headsets.  The BDSM couple I still have to go back and see if they were filming themselves or what the connection to technology was. It could have just been an example of self obsessed nihilism but I think it was more.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The gay couple weren’t real, it was virtual reality roleplay being played by the two in the headsets.  The BDSM couple I still have to go back and see if they were filming themselves or what the connection to technology was. It could have just been an example of self obsessed nihilism but I think it was more.

I went back again after I posted this and realized the hay couple was virtual reality, don’t know how I missed that. Don’t get the BDSM couple though.

The video is now on trending. Don’t think either the audio or video for FOA ever was?

Listened to this again along with watching the video and liked it better. I laughed at the guy who knocked Billie over being more interested in getting a photo of a celebrity than asking them if they were alright :lol: 

40 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Listened to this again along with watching the video and liked it better. I laughed at the guy who knocked Billie over being more interested in getting a photo of a celebrity than asking them if they were alright :lol: 

The video is better than the song.

As I say with all GD videos that aren't 100% Green Day: not enough hot Billie screen-time.

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I really like the video, the whole point is that the two people sitting together who could, potentially be a couple, are watching another couple on headsets.  Green Day attempt to introduce irony to America!!

I should say, in case some of our American cousins are not aware and I do not mean this sound patronising in any way, but generally (yes, dangerous I know) many Brits and Europeans consider that Americans have no grasp of irony at all. I think because your comedians etc tend not to use it when ours tend to use it quite heavily.

As @pacejunkie punk said, I haven’t spotted anything more about the BDSM set-up but there is quite a lot going on, need to watch again.

For some reason, the video also reminds me of the movie The Truman Show, especially the guy in front of the TV screen who watches all the clips of the other people. Maybe the connection was intended, maybe not, but I think it's there. And it could also be one of the (many) messages of the video: The life of the poor guy in the movie was brought on TV screens without his knowledge or approval and only for the entertainment of others, but WE, nowadays, choose to be Truman although we have a choice. It's quite an interesting angle I think.

Also, it made me laugh when Mike picked up the coffee cup at the end of the video - of course there had to be an Oakland coffee reference🤣

5 hours ago, Thatsername said:

For some reason, the video also reminds me of the movie The Truman Show, especially the guy in front of the TV screen who watches all the clips of the other people. Maybe the connection was intended, maybe not, but I think it's there. And it could also be one of the (many) messages of the video: The life of the poor guy in the movie was brought on TV screens without his knowledge or approval and only for the entertainment of others, but WE, nowadays, choose to be Truman although we have a choice. It's quite an interesting angle I think.

Also, it made me laugh when Mike picked up the coffee cup at the end of the video - of course there had to be an Oakland coffee reference🤣

I read this as well! I really like how deep the video is. I still generally prefer videos with a proper plot, but this one get close to it, more with a message rather than a story, but still really cool. The director did a really good job. 

4 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

I got The Truman Show vibe too. Billie seems like the one to try the escape all of this craziness. He could run in the end lol It's not so relevant to this video topic but I would really like to see they'll refer to all of their old works in some future video but in a sarcastic way of course. I think that would be so cool, there are movies like that too like artists reflect themselves with some irony.

9 hours ago, That Dude said:

Anyone else feel a weird vibe as he says "bulletproof backpack"?

Yes it felt kinda weird but I think the lyrics make the connection with the society's current situation how people aren't aware of what's going on in the world just focus on temporary fame and lose their sensibility. It's not screaming like that so the song doesn't seem so provocative but giving the message in a more chill way, I think.

So was the rapper in the video?  

Maybe 5 years from now we'll get a remix with a killer feature, whoever that guy is feature (like that not so great "Fell for You" thing)

Watching this on a smartphone is extremely trippy, I should try this with a joint in the other hand later on today 😂

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

So was the rapper in the video?  

Maybe 5 years from now we'll get a remix with a killer, whoever that guy is feature (like that not so great "Fell for You" thing)

Nope, after all that he's not even in it

5 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Troll album, confirmed, case closed. 

10 hours ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

I went back again after I posted this and realized the hay couple was virtual reality, don’t know how I missed that. Don’t get the BDSM couple though.

The video is now on trending. Don’t think either the audio or video for FOA ever was?

Watched it again myself. The BDSM couple were a TV show that the guy was watching while eating fast food in his kitchen.

12 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The gay couple weren’t real, it was virtual reality roleplay being played by the two in the headsets.  

So jorgemas dream came true nobody is gaying for real in the video it's all just gaying fantasies

49 minutes ago, Hermione said:

they were just fucking with us here on GDC. There's gonna be more fuckery when I become the emperor of rome

11 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Watched it again myself. The BDSM couple were a TV show that the guy was watching while eating fast food in his kitchen.

Yeah, but he pops up on a number of occasions, I thought he was either watching all these scenarios or was just generally watching everything/everything was being watched?

Either way, the video is currently no 17 trending on YouTube and at nearly 600,000 views so I think it's doing better than the last two have.  

9 minutes ago, jengd said:

Either way, the video is currently no 17 trending on YouTube and at nearly 600,000 views so I think it's doing better than the last two have.  

Holy shit! it's a really good video so that helps. There's a lot going on so you'll watch over and over to piece it all together. Then you get hooked on the song. 

Also, it's a really weird and different GD song so everyone has the attitude like "I need to hear this". 

I also predicted that this would be overplayed on alternative radio! Remember Sheenius was the first to believe!

6 minutes ago, jengd said:

I thought he was either watching all these scenarios or was just generally watching everything/everything was being watched?

I think I interpret it like this as well. The BDSM couple also looks like another VR scene experienced by the couple at one point towards the end. I interpret this as something like “everyone’s private life becomes someone else’s entertainment, everyone is a star”. 

16 minutes ago, jengd said:

Yeah, definitely doing better I think now #3 in worldwide trending videos. Number one is BTS of course lmao

25 minutes ago, jengd said:

Yeah, but he pops up on a number of occasions, I thought he was either watching all these scenarios or was just generally watching everything/everything was being watched?

Cool. I remember Back in the USA doing that well it shows you what a fun interesting video can do for a song (even in these post-MTV years)

Archived