Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

Just now, Christian's Inferno! said:

I feel like 21CB is a classic Green Day song. It's a shame it never got the success that other hit singles did like BOBD, American Idiot or 21 Guns. It really should be part of the setlist. I think it should've been the lead single for 21CB too. KYE is such a basic song on such a creative album

Yeah it really is a shame. I think it's just too long of a song for the mainstream. I know the Jesus of Suburbia was able to get over that hump but it was just released at the right time. Atleast here in my region JOS wasn't necessarily a radio hit but it was a huge staple for channels that played music videos. I remember here Much Music would put JOS on at the end of the show for the last 10 mins. 

To be honest these long songs are what got me into Green Day. At that time I was mostly into Classic Rock, Progressive Rock and had just been listening to 70's punk. I am a huge Rush fan as well, I've seen them live 10 times and one of those times had backstage passes. A live show is always better when a band goes off on a song that's long. 

For me Green Day was the perfect mix of that 70's punk style with the structure of long progressive rock songs. 

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ironic thing is that 21CB is the quintessential classic rock stadium album and it is the album that gets the least setlist attention these days on stadium tours. That entire album sounds amazing in an arena. 

15 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I feel like 21CB is a classic Green Day song. It's a shame it never got the success that other hit singles did like BOBD, American Idiot or 21 Guns. It really should be part of the setlist. I think it should've been the lead single for 21CB too. KYE is such a basic song on such a creative album

When I first heard 21CB (The leaked demo) I immediately compared it to Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody. I mean, of course it didn’t have the same harmonies, but the same basic song structure, length, and slow breakdown (pun intended) at the end.

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The ironic thing is that 21CB is the quintessential classic rock stadium album and it is the album that gets the least setlist attention these days on stadium tours. That entire album sounds amazing in an arena. 

I know it's actually quite sad. 21st Century Breakdown has some really great tunes. It's also not like American Idiot or Dookie where they've been playing them so long it's boring for them.

I'd really love to see them play Static Age. I remember seeing that in Copps Coliseum (now known as FirstOntario Centre). It just sounded amazing in that building and I was first row where the sound typically isn't quite as good as if you were sitting in the back. 

The second leg of the tour they mixed it up and played Last Night On Earth. I had a friend at the time who hated those type of songs. After the show he was like "You know I hate those type of songs but they played that one live and it was psychedelic. It was really cool". Last Night On Earth is a really good song to throw in to change the pace of the event. 

I'd be up for seeing any other 21CB song on the setlist

24 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I know it's actually quite sad. 21st Century Breakdown has some really great tunes. It's also not like American Idiot or Dookie where they've been playing them so long it's boring for them.

I'd really love to see them play Static Age. I remember seeing that in Copps Coliseum (now known as FirstOntario Centre). It just sounded amazing in that building and I was first row where the sound typically isn't quite as good as if you were sitting in the back. 

The second leg of the tour they mixed it up and played Last Night On Earth. I had a friend at the time who hated those type of songs. After the show he was like "You know I hate those type of songs but they played that one live and it was psychedelic. It was really cool". Last Night On Earth is a really good song to throw in to change the pace of the event. 

They should do Last Night on Earth followed by The Forgotten

I'd love to see Restless Heart Syndrome live. Would also be great if they bring 21 Guns back into the setlist with the full band. 

In saying that, I can't see them changing up their setlist that much. Obviously people want to see the hits, so they can't exclude them. But there's absolutely no reason why they can't get rid of the KFAD 10 minute mash up and replace it with 2 - 3 more songs, even deep cuts for the fans. KFAD with the covers doesn't really seem to please die hard fans or casual fans. I think the band do it more for their own enjoyment, but surely by now they must be getting over it. I've seen them live 3 times and every time that's where interest seems to drop a little. And then they get the energy back with whatever comes after, like Minority.

50 minutes ago, michael1989 said:

I'd love to see Restless Heart Syndrome live. Would also be great if they bring 21 Guns back into the setlist with the full band. 

In saying that, I can't see them changing up their setlist that much. Obviously people want to see the hits, so they can't exclude them. But there's absolutely no reason why they can't get rid of the KFAD 10 minute mash up and replace it with 2 - 3 more songs, even deep cuts for the fans. KFAD with the covers doesn't really seem to please die hard fans or casual fans. I think the band do it more for their own enjoyment, but surely by now they must be getting over it. I've seen them live 3 times and every time that's where interest seems to drop a little. And then they get the energy back with whatever comes after, like Minority.

Have they ever played Waiting or Macy’s Day Parade live?

I want Dirty Rotten Bastards live since, ya know, that song was kinda made to be a sing-a-long type of song thats perfect for playing live but...doubt it'll happen xP

7 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

I want Dirty Rotten Bastards live since, ya know, that song was kinda made to be a sing-a-long type of song thats perfect for playing live but...doubt it'll happen xP

Billie: YEAAAAAAAHHHH! YEAHHHH YEAAAAAHHHHH!!! C’MON!!!

Crowd: YEAAAAAAHHHHH! YEAHHHH YEAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Billie: I SAY HEEEEEEYYYYY-OHHHHHHH!!!

Crowd: HEEEEEEYYYYYY-OHHHHHH!!!

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Some borderline “hits” that are overplayed and should be switched out:

She, When I Come Around, Letterbomb, Jesus of Suburbia, Know Your Enemy

When I Come Around??? She??? NEVER!!!

17 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Also Haha You're dead 😥

Getting back to the reason why we’re in this thread, Songs For Assholes, does anybody think the tagline on the Instagram, “If you’re knocking, you don’t belong here” is a lyric from one of the new songs?

And by the way, what’s the deal with Billie’s profile pic with scribbles all over his face?

22 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Getting back to the reason why we’re in this thread, Songs For Assholes, does anybody think the tagline on the Instagram, “If you’re knocking, you don’t belong here” is a lyric from one of the new songs?

And by the way, what’s the deal with Billie’s profile pic with scribbles all over his face?

This is a good idea, it's partly my fault but we should get back on topic

It looks a lot like the Longshot artwork he was posting last year (all his and other people's faces with scribbles or lines and wrinkles drawn over), I guess it's in line with the new Longshot shows and/or he just likes doing that.

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

I saw them play Waiting :D 

I also saw them play Waiting and it was AMAZING 

7 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Idk if they played the entire track at any point

7 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:
9 hours ago, Too domb to die said:

I think they played Say Goodbye at one of the RevRad secret shows

No, unfortunately they haven't played it. I was aware of them popping in the very, very short bit in the breakdown to 'Holiday' on the Howard Stern show. They did it at a couple of other shows too, but the chorus hasn't been played.

Has it ever been confirmed that 'Fuck These People' played to those competition winners at Hurley studios, was definitely a real song? 

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Yeah, I saw them play both those songs on Dec 8th 2000 at London Wembley arena during the encore.

1 hour ago, Too domb to die said:

No, unfortunately they haven't played it. I was aware of them popping in the very, very short bit in the breakdown to 'Holiday' on the Howard Stern show. They did it at a couple of other shows too, but the chorus hasn't been played.

Has it ever been confirmed that 'Fuck These People' played to those competition winners at Hurley studios, was definitely a real song? 

Yeah, I saw them play both those songs on Dec 8th 2000 at London Wembley arena during the encore.

What is this “fuck these people” song you speak of?

28 minutes ago, W_FInkThePlatypusHunter said:

What is this “fuck these people” song you speak of?

I don't think it's a real song

A setlist of that concert was released and at the top was written "fuck these people" I honestly think the person who wrote it was just annoyed with the rest of the crowd lol I think the community, being as thirsty as we are, just really wanted it to be a new song. But who knows for sure? I'd love to be wrong 

4 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yo let's get back on topic now

A little tenuous, i'll admit, but I was just surmising whether the track, if real, would be featured on the new record. 

30 minutes ago, Too domb to die said:

A little tenuous, i'll admit, but I was just surmising whether the track, if real, would be featured on the new record. 

Yeah no problem with your post specifically, it's just we've all strayed off topic so we should get back on it now

9 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah no problem with your post specifically, it's just we've all strayed off topic so we should get back on it now

We can't properly get back on topic until Matt drops in and does his daily reply to someone's post with something hinting at when an announcement, single or album will come!

Just heard blinks new song. Its the most generic song ever. I hope gd will not release something poppy to stay relevant.

1 hour ago, Ross_19 said:

We can't properly get back on topic until Matt drops in and does his daily reply to someone's post with something hinting at when an announcement, single or album will come!

Agreed....its now June so where's that new single 😀

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived