Green Day nominated for an award at the MTV Video Music Awards 2017

Yosuke Hanamura

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

How true. Lithium and the New Wave station's aren't too bad though. Oh and i did hear the Hot Tubs on Underground Garage once :P

I thought this was gonna be from this year. I got excited for NOTHING!!!!!!!! :lol:

Just a nice throwback to the last time the rock category had any weight at the VMA's.  I think I officially hit old man territory tonight.  Unless Green Day would ever get the Video Vanguard Award, I think I just watched my last VMA's.  Something I should have done a few years ago.  

Seriously??

YOU HAD ONE FUCKING JOB, MTV. JUST GO THROUGH EACH AND EVERY AWARD AND ANNOUNCE A WINNER.

1 minute ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

How true. Lithium and the New Wave station's aren't too bad though. Oh and i did hear the Hot Tubs on Underground Garage once :P

First Wave and Lithium are both retro stations though (80's and 90's) That's what I mean, anything new is pop because that's all that gets played and rock is ignored. Tubbies on UG? That's awesome, wish I heard that. There was a late night show the other day on UG hosted by Drew Carey that was half sixties music and half classic punk. That was weird but I liked it. He played Rancid, Selecter, XRay Specs and Cramps. Wish there was a punk station that played that stuff all the time.

3 minutes ago, TracksAtChristieRoad said:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vmas-2017-the-complete-winners-list-w499123

this came up on twitter.

best rock and a few others haven't been updated?

First time I see who Green Day is up against. If Coldplay gets a Rock Award, the show is officially a joke

4 minutes ago, lizziebix said:

3 hours I cannot get back.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

Seriously??

YOU HAD ONE FUCKING JOB, MTV. JUST GO THROUGH EACH AND EVERY AWARD AND ANNOUNCE A WINNER.

woah what happened?

Just now, Billie Hoe said:

If Coldplay gets a Rock Award, the show is officially a joke

Twenty One Pilots for me. Those guys are so overrated.

1 minute ago, Billie Hoe said:

woah what happened?

We just wasted three whole hours on a Sunday night waiting for MTV to still give even the tiniest shit about rock music when, in reality, they don't.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

Twenty One Pilots for me. Those guys are so overrated.

Yeah them too. Don't really have an opinion on Fall Out Boy. The winner should either be Green Day or the Foo Fighters

Yeah them too. Don't really have an opinion on Fall Out Boy. The winner should either be Green Day or the Foo Fighters

They're the only two rock bands in the category and they're all 40+. Is rock dying? 

6 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

First Wave and Lithium are both retro stations though (80's and 90's) That's what I mean, anything new is pop because that's all that gets played and rock is ignored. Tubbies on UG? That's awesome, wish I heard that. There was a late night show the other day on UG hosted by Drew Carey that was half sixties music and half classic punk. That was weird but I liked it. He played Rancid, Selecter, XRay Specs and Cramps. Wish there was a punk station that played that stuff all the time.

We need to start a petition for Sirius to create a punk/current punk-rock station

2 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Well I didn't do my part and vote, so I am taking the award as seriously as Green Day's PR team.  My guess would be Twenty-One Pilots winning this.   

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They're the only two rock bands in the category and they're all 40+. Is rock dying? 

Well the media certainly seems to want to make you think so---

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

No I wouldn't say so - the mainstream just doesn't care anymore. There are rock bands, they just don't get radioplay or media attention - and the ones who do get attention are borderline pop. It's sad.

Just now, ollhjr said:

Well I didn't do my part and vote, so I am taking the award as seriously as Green Day's PR team.  My guess would be Twenty-One Pilots winning this.   

You're right. I just refreshed MTV's "full winners' list" site, and it had Twenty One Piss-ants as the winner.

Yeah, officially boycotting MTV now. They're a shell of what they used to be and are clearly too far out of touch with what makes actual rock music.

4 minutes ago, ollhjr said:

I didn't vote because Europeans' opinions don't matter :D   

Well, good night.

I didn't vote because Europeans' opinions don't matter :D   

Well, good night.

same to us Canadians

Night!

I had a feeling Green Day would lose out. :( 21 pilots isn't really even rock. They are more pop than anything. I love pop music so, I don't mind it. It's just sad that Green Day wasn't on. I would have loved to see them show MTV what rock music really is. They need to get the vanguard award. After all, they are in the HOF for a reason. 

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It's definitely fading, because the only real rock band the media wants to focus on is Dave Grohl and the Fuck Fighters. They don't talk about actual new bands like Tyler Bryant & the shake down, Rival Sons, Like a Storm etc. And bands like Def Leppard, Green Day, Pearl Jam (the list goes on and on) only get attention when they realease a new album. Dave Overrated Grohl made headlines because he attended a Metallica concert. Didn't see that when Axl Rose went to the U2 tour. You won't see Green Day make headlines for attending the Red Sox game today. My point being is that if Dave Grohl wakes up and goes to shop at his local grocery store he will make headlines, Billie Joe Armstrong beating the shit out of car not so much. 

congratulations to green day on not winning a MTV award. that's something to be proud of :)

If you are talking about getting mainstream attention as a modern rock band you either need to feature a pop artist or bring in top-40 elements beyond the typical vocals, bass, guitar, and drums.  It is not to say that there aren't any good rock bands out there, but there just doesn't seem to be a mainstream audience or media that will get behind them.  Beyond Green Day, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kings of Leon (aka older rock bands: mid-30's to 50ish) there aren't many young rock bands ready to take the mantel.  

28 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

What is happening to rock music? I have a free trial of Sirius XM in my car and I'm so glad I don't pay for it. Every station is pop, even what they call alternative. Everything on AltNation sounds like pop music to me. The only rock stations are classic throwbacks to the 70's or 90's grunge. There are rock bands that exist today but not one radio station that features current rock/garage bands. Even Underground Garage plays mostly 50's/60's music with the occasional new band thrown in. It's sad. If it wasn't for Spotify, I wouldn't hear anything.

No.What is happening to Music? period!

but I used to like MTV..few decade ago.back in 80s,90s...when..God!I feel old..I will stick with G.D thank You very much!

Honestly, I figured Green Day wouldn't win because the video wasn't that great, but I thought Foo Fighters would take it because that video was awesome. But 21 Pilots? Yuck.

Just now, billietremike9324 said:

I had a feeling Green Day would lose out. :( 21 pilots isn't really even rock. They are more pop than anything. I love pop music so, I don't mind it. It's just sad that Green Day wasn't on. I would have loved to see them show MTV what rock music really is. They need to get the vanguard award. After all, they are in the HOF for a reason. 

At least MTV Europe cares enough about them to give them the Global Icon award. But MTV America? Pshhhhh FUCK no! We got an assembly line full of mumbling rappers to unleash on the world, right after we pretend to give a shit about Taylor Swift talk-singing about how we should feel sorry for Taylor Swift after she got caught acting like Taylor Swift.

Beside the genre argument, how is that 21 pilots song even nominated this year? It's like 2 years old

5 minutes ago, billietremike9324 said:

they got a global icon award last year

Archived