Green Day Instagram Photos

BeachBum

16 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

He would, if they cared about this music :lol:

4 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Um...what? That's a bold generalization to make about the people who like his music. Even if it's a joke, you probably shouldn't say shit like that. 

I'll be honest. I never saw a black guy in a Green Day show. But with his last collab with Tyla Yayew maybe all the crowd will be black from now on.

17 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Um...what? That's a bold generalization to make about the people who like his music. Even if it's a joke, you probably shouldn't say shit like that. 

I didn’t mean to hurt your or anyone’s feelings, and I’m sorry if I did, but sadly I don’t see a lot of diversity at Green Day or pop punk shows in general, ngl

4 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Just because you've never seen it, doesn't mean they aren't there. It's a dumb generalization to make. Jokes about that or Billie being racist aren't cool and they're in poor taste, especially with what's happening. 

Seriously? We can't joke about that? I didn't insulted anyone lol. It was a quick funny post, I would have said it even without all the events right now. Not because I'm a racist, but because it's me.

3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I didn’t mean to hurt your or anyone’s feelings, and I’m sorry if I did, but sadly I don’t see a lot of diversity at Green Day or pop punk shows in general, ngl

I imagine it varies by location. It's something I see pretty frequently, but I can see how it's not like that elsewhere. It just fired me up because these are generalizations that myself and other friends have dealt with and I just think it's stupid to assume something like that based on skin color.

2 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Seriously? We can't joke about that? I didn't insulted anyone lol. It was a quick funny post, I would have said it even without all the events right now. Not because I'm a racist, but because it's me.

Personally, I still think it would be in poor taste even without the events. It's just dumb to assume what someone likes musically based on skin color. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Personally, I still think it would be in poor taste even without the events. It's just dumb to assume what someone likes musically based on skin color.

Yes and you're right! It's dumb if it's said in a serious way.

1 minute ago, kaylubd said:

I imagine it varies by location. It's something I see pretty frequently, but I can see how it's not like that elsewhere. It just fired me up because these are generalizations that myself and other friends have dealt with and I just think it's stupid to assume something like that based on skin color.

I agree it’s dumb to make generalizations and if the general rock show experience isn’t that it’s mostly white dudes everywhere, it’s only good news.

5 hours ago, Squashie said:

ddb1f9581beb5009e2bbae3c1da4a018ae704cd6

Oh please. Conspiracy theory nonsense.

This past semester, I had an African-American student who was a huge Green Day fan. I mentioned them one day in class (because I can never keep my mouth shut about Green Day LOL), and she started going on about the coming release of FOAM (this was in January) and the Hella Mega Tour. She turned out to be quite a rock fan in general. So no, you can't make any assumptions about anyone's music preferences (or anything else, for that matter) based on skin color. In fact, I think one of the main points of where we are at right now as a society is that we white people (yes, I am white) have no right to try to tell black people about themselves and should shut up and listen. 

As far as Billie goes, he seems to be one of the least racist people you could find. He has a long history of speaking out against both racism and all forms of hate in general. I understand that he drew inspiration for the Rev Rad album from the Michael Brown protests, where the Black Lives Matter movement started. And as others have shared here, he is certainly doing a lot of speaking out now. So yeah, calling him a racist and making assumptions about people's music choices based on race is pretty offensive and not what we need right now.

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, BillieMyLove said:

As far as Billie goes, he seems to be one of the least racist people you could find. He has a long history of speaking out against both racism and all forms of hate in general. I understand that he draw inspiration for the Rev Rad album from the Michael Brown protests, where the Black Lives Matter movement started. And as others have shared here, he is certainly doing a lot of speaking out now. So yeah, calling him a racist and making assumptions about people's music choices based on race is pretty offensive and not what we need right now.

He is doing lots of speaking out, but then he won’t match it up with actions and will work with racists and support their careers. Let’s not forget about that before showering him with praise.

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

He is doing lots of speaking out, but then he won’t match it up with actions and will work with racists and support their careers. Let’s not forget about that before showering him with praise.

Who has he done that with besides Morrissey? He also said recently that he had no idea about Morrissey’s views until he got pushback for working with him.

8 minutes ago, BillieJoe’sEyelids said:

Who has he done that with besides Morrissey? He also said recently that he had no idea about Morrissey’s views until he got pushback for working with him.

Yeah, there were other artists worked with him then some of them confessed their ignorance and regret but I think there has been lots of racist/homophobic well known artists that are ignored for years and it’s just because the value of their art or success they had etc. So, I believe that it might not be a very big deal for a lot of people at the end of the day. 

49 minutes ago, BillieJoe’sEyelids said:

Kat von D, for starters. I’m not saying he’s a bad person or that he doesn’t deserve recognition when he does something good, but he’s not perfect and there are people who do a lot more.

3 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Kat von D, for starters. I’m not saying he’s a bad person or that he doesn’t deserve recognition when he does something good, but he’s not perfect and there are people who do a lot more.

I will admit that I don't know a ton about Kat Von D (not a huge cosmetic person LOL), but I do know about Billie's collaboration with her with the Basket Case eyeliner, and I always thought she was kind of outspoken about social justice as well. Can you explain what she has said/done that is racist? I would like to know now. 

Also, can I ask what you would like Billie to do if you think he's not backing up his words? Since he's white, I don't think it would be appropriate for him to be on the front line of this, but I think he should be an ally, and I think that is what he has been doing. Sure others are doing more, because it's appropriate for them to do more. He has used his platform as a public figure to speak out against all hate for years. He has been part of racial justice protests, including one in New York City for Michael Brown, which is what I was talking about when I said that inspired Rev Rad. He has also taken action when he was realized people he worked with were problematic; for example, when we found out that one of the writers of the Joan Jett song he sampled for "Oh Yeah" was a rapist, he donated all the royalties to RAINN. (No, this part is not about racism, but it still shows him taking action against oppression and violence.) So aside from speaking out, standing in solidarity, and providing financial support, what more do you think he should be doing, or what do you think he has done wrong? I don't really think we should be getting into a competition about who is doing the most. Everyone should be doing what they can, and we should be focusing our anger on the oppressive system. If we do that, maybe we can finally change it.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

I will admit that I don't know a ton about Kat Von D (not a huge cosmetic person LOL), but I do know about Billie's collaboration with her with the Basket Case eyeliner, and I always though she was kind of outspoken about social justice as well. Can you explain what she has said/done that is racist? I would like to know now. 

Also, can I ask what you would like to Billie do if you think he's not backing up his words? Since he's white, I don't think it would be appropriate for him to be on the front line of this, but I think he should be an ally, and I think that is what he has been doing. Sure others are doing more, because it's appropriate for them to do more. He has used his platform as a public figure to speak out against all hate for years. He has been part of racial justice protests, including one in New York City for Michael Brown, which is what I was talking about when I said that inspired Rev Rad. He has also taken action when he was realized people he worked with for problematic; for example, when we found out that one of the writers of the Joan Jett song he sampled for "Oh Yeah" was a rapist, he donated all the royalties to RAINN. (No, this part is not about racism, but it still shows him taking action against oppression and violence.) So aside from speaking out, standing in solidarity, and providing financial support, what more do you think he should be doing, or what do you think he has done wrong? I don't really think we should be getting into a competition about who is doing the most. Everyone should be doing what they can, and we should be focusing our anger on the oppressive system. If we do that, maybe we can finally change it.

“Burn in hell, Jewbag” isn’t the nicest, least racist thing to say in my opinion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jta.org/2008/02/11/culture/ink-star-sends-hateful-kiss-off-to-jewish-boss/amp

I guess it’s a good example of how there can be a huge difference between being outspoken about social justice and the way you act.

I’m not commenting on what Billie does or what he should do. I honestly don’t care - it’s up to him, not me. What I’m saying is we shouldn’t praise a celebrity talking about issues over people who contribute a lot more to their community. There are people who actively help out in disadvantaged communities, there are people who feed the homeless, there are lawyers working pro bono, there are volunteers who teach children for free. All of these people do more than post about social justice on Instagram.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

“Burn in hell, Jewbag” isn’t the nicest, least racist thing to say in my opinion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jta.org/2008/02/11/culture/ink-star-sends-hateful-kiss-off-to-jewish-boss/amp

I guess it’s a good example of how there can be a huge difference between being outspoken about social justice and the way you act.

I’m not commenting on what Billie does or what he should do. I honestly don’t care - it’s up to him, not me. What I’m saying is we shouldn’t praise a celebrity talking about issues over people who contribute a lot more to their community. There are people who actively help out in disadvantaged communities, there are people who feed the homeless, there are lawyers working pro bono, there are volunteers who teach children for free. All of these people do more than post about social justice on Instagram.

Wow, I was not aware of this statement, and I agree that it is hateful and disgusting, and I condemn it 100%.

I agree with what you are saying. There are many people doing lots of good work who don't get the attention they deserve. But none of that has anything to do with Billie, so I don't think we should slam him for it. It's easy to point fingers. It's hard to be part of the solution. I would hope that you are also speaking out, marching, donating, lifting up voices of people of color, and praising those folks you just mentioned that are helping. 

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

I agree with what you are saying. There are many people doing lots of good work who don't get the attention they deserve. But none of that has anything to do with Billie, so I don't think we should slam him for it. It's easy to point fingers. It's hard to be part of the solution. I would hope that you are also speaking out, marching, donating, lifting up voices of people of color, and praising those folks you just mentioned that are helping. 

I think you’re missing my point. I’m not slamming Billie for not doing more, I just wanted to point out that this isn’t a situation where he needs to be in the center of attention/admired. That takes the focus off from what’s happening and is really important. And bragging about my own activism would be even more tasteless. This isn’t a piss contest. I’m just going to say it’s really not that hard. Spending a couple hours a week volunteering isn’t much of a hassle but it often gets work done that would otherwise be impossible to get done if it had to be paid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

I think you’re missing my point. I’m not slamming Billie for not doing more, I just wanted to point out that this isn’t a situation where he needs to be in the center of attention/admired. That takes the focus off from what’s happening and is really important. And bragging about my own activism would be even more tasteless. This isn’t a piss contest. I’m just going to say it’s really not that hard. Spending a couple hours a week volunteering isn’t much of a hassle but it often gets work done that would otherwise be impossible to get done if it had to be paid.

I agree with your point completely. This is exactly what I have been trying to say. I think Billie is handling this right. He is speaking out and being an ally, and while I agree that many people are talking the talk but not walking the walk, I think he is walking the walk in a way that is appropriate. He does not need to be the center of attention here and that's exactly the point I was trying to make. None of any other of us you are white should be the center of attention either. I don't want to brag about what I do either because it does not matter in this context, and I am certainly no hero and many people are doing an awful lot more, but I will say that I work in higher education, and over the past few years I have had the privilege to be able to tutor New American high school students as part of my job, have participated in research to combat gerrymandering, and also volunteered in a nursing home in my free time (though I can't right now because of the pandemic). I have always been passionate about social justice and it is why I chose the career path that I did, since I didn't come from a very advantaged background, but at least my skin color wasn't making it worse. So I acknowledge that I can never fully understand the black experience, but I can try to help. And I understand your point a lot better than you think I do, because I have been living it all my life. This whole thing started because of people calling Billie a racist. That's a ridiculous statement, and this is not the time for finger-pointing--it's the time for all of us to learn to be better people. 

3 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

This whole thing started because of people calling Billie a racist

Well if you're talking about my comment, I started it all. But it was clearly a joke.