Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

1 hour ago, TheMostExpressivePrice said:

This is true if you exclude all songs between "Revolution Radio" and "Still Breathing", which have as many live performances as the 6 other songs from "Father Of All...".

The main reason is that "Revolution Radio" album had a specific tour, which offered them the ability to play the great majority of the songs live without them being necessarily popular. While, due to the virus in 2020, "Father Of All" never had a chance of a more extended performance, being affected by the fans' rejection as well.

"Saviours" already have bigger percentage of live performances on album songs than "Father Of All" and there is a good chance we will see them getting close to "Revolution Radio" too.

What makes my mind blow is how EVERY SINGLE SONG in "Uno!" was performed live, thinking it is their worst album ever, while even "Insomniac" and "Warning" have songs which have zero appropriate referrences.

Platypus: hello my friend

No one gives a shit about crypto

• 2 weeks later...

What Green Day songs were originally made for other projects?  These are the ones I can think of from memory:

F Time

Still Breathing

Ordinary World

Stab You in the Heart

Father to a Son

Why Do You Want Him was written before GD but that could not count.
2,000 Light Years Away was written for a scrapped supergroup with Billie and some Op. Ivy guys.
Best Thing in Town might have been written for Desecrated Youth, but that's a theory I made just now.
In the End's title was written as a note to Linkin Park before they even existed, hell, even before Xero. Nah, just kidding. Dookie has no songs written for anything other than GD.
Geek Stink Breath was written for Pinhead Gunpowder around Dookie's release.
Last Ride In was supposedly a soundcheck jam so it might've not been intended for GD at some point.
Warning, AI and 21CB's songs were all intended for GD from the start.
There's a rumor that Stay the Night was written for the Tubs.
Fuck Time was supposed to be Tubs.
Still Breathing and Ordinary World were intended for 5 Seconds of Summer and a movie respectively.
Stab You in the Heart was intended for These Paper Bullets.
1981 was intended for the Foos for The Colour and the Shape in 1995 but they reworked it to Monkey Wrench in 1996... jk! Father to a Son and Strange Days' bridge were recycled from Paper Bullets.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Anyone ever hear this version before?

CfDhU6C.png

I think I might have the compilation buried somewhere (or maybe I saw it for sale years ago don't remember)

The majority of my GD stuff has been boxed up for the last 13 years (long story) and I don't have a clue what's there anymore 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I think I might have the compilation buried somewhere (or maybe I saw it for sale years ago don't remember)

The majority of my GD stuff has been boxed up for the last 13 years (long story) and I don't have a clue what's there anymore 

I had never heard of it before and was very confused when Spotify started playing it. :lol:

• Haha 4

On 3/20/2024 at 9:02 AM, Montclare said:

On 3/20/2024 at 9:57 AM, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I also heard it for the first time. Such a fun😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/19/2024 at 6:02 PM, Montclare said:

CfDhU6C.png

I have never heard that version of Green Day's cover. I didn't even know that existed! Thanks. 

• Like 1

Yeah, not sure my life is enriched by this, just sounds like a weird over dub to me.

• Haha 1

I've been inspired to make a video about the life of one Billie Joe Armstrong.   While just getting started, there seems to be a gap in his personal story between recording Look for Love and Green Day starting.    Is there any information out there regarding this time period that has any significance?  

1 minute ago, That Dude said:

I've been inspired to make a video about the life of one Billie Joe Armstrong.   While just getting started, there seems to be a gap in his personal story between recording Look for Love and Green Day starting.    Is there any information out there regarding this time period that has any significance?  

His father being diagnosed with cancer? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

His father being diagnosed with cancer? 

I meant before that.   I can find stuff about Billie's early life, him doing Look For Love - and then the story always skips to Andrew Armstrong dying and Green Day starting.     I'm guessing there's not much to else to Billie's childhood but I'm not sure.     Billie was probably a somewhat normal 6-9 year old, going to school and performing music after, maybe.  

25 minutes ago, That Dude said:

I meant before that.   I can find stuff about Billie's early life, him doing Look For Love - and then the story always skips to Andrew Armstrong dying and Green Day starting.     I'm guessing there's not much to else to Billie's childhood but I'm not sure.     Billie was probably a somewhat normal 6-9 year old, going to school and performing music after, maybe.  

He started taking guitar lessons at eight there’s this really good interview on greenday.fm with George Cole covering those years and up until his father passed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

Inbetween the death of Billie's dad and Green Day starting, how about adding that solo performance of Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode he did in like 83?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 99th revolution said:

Inbetween the death of Billie's dad and Green Day starting, how about adding that solo performance of Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode he did in like 83?

I don't know that one.   What's the story on that? 

3 hours ago, That Dude said:

He kept singing and being involved with music. He would sing at old people's homes etc doing show tunes and stuff, small local performances all through his childhood. I think sometimes through teachers/school and sometimes with his family involved (he's mentioned singing with his dad playing drums, he was a jazz drummer). And took piano lessons and learned guitar. He's also mentioned he was into playing sports while young especially American football.

• Like 2

I don't know that one.   What's the story on that? 

It was posted by Billie on Insta at some point in 2021. I don't know how he found that recording but let's not dig deep as much.

Only information:
1983, California
Johnny B. Goode was performed
Blue didn't have the well-known red "BJ" initials and this is what I call the "Proto-Blue". Proto referring to how it's a prototype to the iconic look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, That Dude said:

Also add all the pre-Green Day names. Blood Rage, Desecrated Youth. They played a song named Merciful Children as Desecrated Youth. And maybe add Billie's solo acoustic Stay from 1988 if you want. I'm pretty sure you included Billie and Mike meeting at a cafeteria once but if you didn't add it.

• Like 2

Does anybody know which show on the Hella Mega tour the iTunes version of “Rock and Roll All Nite” was recorded at?

• Like 1

What is the connection between Green Day and Masked Intruder?   I thought they were connected to Green Day in some kind of way, but now all I can find is that Look Ma, No Brains is a rip off of one of their songs - and I did notice that when listening to them.  Not just Look Ma but so many songs.    Masked Intruder are essentially 90s Green Day but all the lyrics are about unrequited love and going to jail.  lol   Really great band, I recommend "Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt".   

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

What is the connection between Green Day and Masked Intruder?   I thought they were connected to Green Day in some kind of way, but now all I can find is that Look Ma, No Brains is a rip off of one of their songs - and I did notice that when listening to them.  Not just Look Ma but so many songs.    Masked Intruder are essentially 90s Green Day but all the lyrics are about unrequited love and going to jail.  lol   Really great band, I recommend "Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt".   

I love Masked Intruder. I don’t know if they have a direct Green Day connection but they have an indirect one. I first discovered them when I saw them open for The Interrupters several years ago.  They do a very entertaining live show, really leaning into the whole bank robber theme with a dancing cop onstage and ski masks and everything. Anyone who has a chance to see them live I recommend it, and the music is very power pop and catchy.

• Like 1

Okay, now I'm trying to figure out what Billie and Mike were listening to when they first met each other in 1982.   I know some of the bands Billie discussed, like Van Halen and Def Leppard and Ozzy.   But is there a more complete list of artists you guys can think of?    And when exactly did they discover Punk music in relation to this?  

• Like 1

Okay, now I'm trying to figure out what Billie and Mike were listening to when they first met each other in 1982.   I know some of the bands Billie discussed, like Van Halen and Def Leppard and Ozzy.   But is there a more complete list of artists you guys can think of?    And when exactly did they discover Punk music in relation to this?  

They should ask that question in an interview. You got me interested, haha. I have never thought about it. Maybe the Ramones? I don't know 😅