Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

Did GDC will have a makeover to match the new album ? Having Green Day wrote in Ketchup would be good. 

• Haha 3

On 3/3/2014 at 9:46 PM, Spike said:

rip in pieces old q&a thread i crie evry tiem

What's the meaning/origin of "39/Smooth" as a phrase?

Stolen from Wikipedia: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is a collection of early recordings by American rock band Green Day, released on October 1, 1991 by Lookout Records. Often referred to as the band's debut album, the compilation combines the band's actual debut 39/Smooth and its first two extended plays Slappy and 1,000 Hours,

2 hours ago, Pansyhunter said:

Stolen from Wikipedia: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is a collection of early recordings by American rock band Green Day, released on October 1, 1991 by Lookout Records. Often referred to as the band's debut album, the compilation combines the band's actual debut 39/Smooth and its first two extended plays Slappy and 1,000 Hours,

You just answered a question from 5 years ago, and you’re addressing a different album than the one they were asking about. The origin of “39/Smooth” is that it was named after Billie’s oldest brother, who had just turned 39 and they thought he was smooth. 

1 minute ago, Todd said:

You just answered a question from 5 years ago, and you’re addressing a different album than the one they were asking about. The origin of “39/Smooth” is that it was named after Billie’s oldest brother, who had just turned 39 and they thought he was smooth. 

Thanks for letting me now, I didn't check the date. And got it, I thought they were referring to the first full compilation album. 

Edited by Pansyhunter

6 hours ago, Todd said:

The origin of “39/Smooth” is that it was named after Billie’s oldest brother, who had just turned 39 and they thought he was smooth. 

I know the 39 comes from that but I'd only heard that "smooth" was a word they liked saying at the time, did they say that? If so that makes the title more amusing

6 hours ago, Hermione said:

I know the 39 comes from that but I'd only heard that "smooth" was a word they liked saying at the time, did they say that? If so that makes the title more amusing

I believe so. I’ll try to find the interview. 

1 hour ago, Todd said:

I believe so. I’ll try to find the interview. 

If you've heard it I believe you haha! That's cool

28 minutes ago, Hermione said:

If you've heard it I believe you haha! That's cool

It's in Flipside #66. Interview was done on 3/16/1990.
"Mike: 'It's named after Billy's brother because we recorded it on the day he turned 39, and he's a smooth character'"

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Todd said:

It's in Flipside #66. Interview was done on 3/16/1990.
"Mike: 'It's named after Billy's brother because we recorded it on the day he turned 39, and he's a smooth character'"

I always thought it was just two random things together, this makes the title 100% better

Does somebody know where I can find a full discography of Green Day?

WIth Singles and everything, but sort by release date?
(Discogs mixes up releases that came out in the same year)

6 hours ago, AnonymWarnerGermany said:

Does somebody know where I can find a full discography of Green Day?

WIth Singles and everything, but sort by release date?
(Discogs mixes up releases that came out in the same year)

It's difficult to be that specific. Singles are released at different times in different countries. Some of them we don't even know exact release dates for. I believe Discogs is the best you're gonna get. You might just have to take Discogs' list and adjust it yourself with a little bit of research. 

• Like 1

So I was wondering, do the GD boys always have some sort of security person with them? Or can they go do what they want on their own during normal days? Like what if they just want to go get a fucking coffee or something? Is there still a body guard with them? That would be super lame for them imo. Having to have someone guarding you all the time would suck. What if they want to go for a walk or go hang out with friends or family on their own?

My assumption would be that they are only dogged by security people/body guards while they are actively on tour, at promotion events, or playing random shows like when they're doing Coverups or the Longshot.

3 minutes ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

So I was wondering, do the GD boys always have some sort of security person with them? Or can they go do what they want on their own during normal days? Like what if they just want to go get a fucking coffee or something? Is there still a body guard with them? That would be super lame for them imo. Having to have someone guarding you all the time would suck. What if they want to go for a walk or go hang out with friends or family on their own?

My assumption would be that they are only dogged by security people/body guards while they are actively on tour, at promotion events, or playing random shows like when they're doing Coverups or the Longshot.

Only for events - in Oakland they just go about their business as far as I know - @desertrose would probs know better than me.

• Thanks 1

@The Insider Cool. That's what I thought. Nice to know. I'm glad they're able to have nice personal lives away from everyone else when they want to.

• Like 1

I think there's plenty of evidence that they just go about on their own and plenty of anecdotal evidence of people just running in to them walking their dogs or whatever.  They do have regular security guys though, Eddie and Arturo when they are touring etc.

• Like 1

I can imagine they need the security while touring but wasn't there some crazy woman stalking them at one point?  I don't remember the story but they briefly touched on it in the Wrigley Field interview for RR.  Am I imagining that?

2 minutes ago, Vintage Disciple said:

I can imagine they need the security while touring but wasn't there some crazy woman stalking them at one point?  I don't remember the story but they briefly touched on it in the Wrigley Field interview for RR.  Am I imagining that?

They didn’t mention it there but there is a story from many years ago where this woman was stalking him and writing letters saying how she was going to kill Adie and become his wife. He hired a private investigator and it turned out to be an artist trying to get his attention. I’m sure he’s a lot of crazy dealings but that’s the one story he’s told. 

• Like 2

I remember them talking, sure it was in the run up to the Trilogy, that a fan put a dead pigeon in Billie's mailbox so they took it back to them.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They didn’t mention it there but there is a story from many years ago where this woman was stalking him and writing letters saying how she was going to kill Adie and become his wife. He hired a private investigator and it turned out to be an artist trying to get his attention. I’m sure he’s a lot of crazy dealings but that’s the one story he’s told. 

3 minutes ago, jengd said:

I remember them talking, sure it was in the run up to the Trilogy, that a fan put a dead pigeon in Billie's mailbox so they took it back to them.

Wow that's insane!  Not sure where I heard them talk about it then but I remember them saying like she was in jail now or something.

1 hour ago, Vintage Disciple said:

There's definitely more than one :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Todd said:

Yeah... GDC members that just happen to run into Billie walking his dogs. What a crazy coinicdence :ermm::rolleyes:

GDC members that knock on Billie's door when his wife is trying to give their dog a bath and ask if they can wait for Billie

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I have no doubt there are fans who would drink Billie's dog's bathwater.

You're right! There's no water left in there.

• Haha 4