Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

Question I found myself wondering: who's Maria (the one who smashed the radio with the Board of Education)?

Question I found myself wondering: who's Maria (the one who smashed the radio with the Board of Education)?

Just someone Billie made up. He did have a music teacher named Marie, and everyone thinks it's about her, but until I see some evidence I'm not buying it

Just someone Billie made up. He did have a music teacher named Marie, and everyone thinks it's about her, but until I see some evidence I'm not buying it

Yeah it's obviously not about her in any way shape or form (not even the same name), the reason some people might think that is because of the clip of 5 year old Billie being interviewed by her at the beginning of the song on International Superhits. But the International Superhits version is a re-recording, the original didn't even have that clip, so even that isn't a legitimate reason. Do people really actually think that song is about some middle class piano teacher though?!

Yeah it's obviously not about her in any way shape or form (not even the same name), the reason some people might think that is because of the clip of 5 year old Billie being interviewed by her at the beginning of the song on International Superhits. But the International Superhits version is a re-recording, the original didn't even have that clip, so even that isn't a legitimate reason. Do people really actually think that song is about some middle class piano teacher though?!

i have met people who thought 21st Century Breakdown is about Illuminati so I certainly would not be very surprised if some people thought so

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers guys - now to fill my head with other questions...

Is it your job to go around GDC single-handedly killing every single joke anyone ever makes?

What?

I had no idea it was a joke. Because uh...yeah. No clue what he was talking about

THANK YOU BASED FUZZ

I believe it was a reference to the homophonic nature of source and sauce.

THEY SOUND NOTHING ALIKE WHAT ARE YOU DOING TOM

Has Walmart or any big box store ever sold any of the Pre-Dookie albums? I usually only see Dookie, Nimrod and very rarely, Warning and Insomniac. No American Idiot, 21st CBD, Trilogy or Pre Dookie. I think I'm gonna have to go to my local record store instead lol.

Best Buy sells the first two albums (or they used to). That's where I picked them up when they were re-released on Reprise.

• Like 2

Has Walmart or any big box store ever sold any of the Pre-Dookie albums? I usually only see Dookie, Nimrod and very rarely, Warning and Insomniac. No American Idiot, 21st CBD, Trilogy or Pre Dookie. I think I'm gonna have to go to my local record store instead lol.

Walmart doesn't sell AI or 21CBD. I think I've seen 1039 there once or twice. I haven't been there recently enough to say about the trilogy.

• Like 1

Best Buy sells the first two albums (or they used to). That's where I picked them up when they were re-released on Reprise.

In 2004 I saw the 2003 repress 1039 and a Kerplunk there, bought the 1039 and didn't see a Kerplunk in stores for a few more years.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the answers guys! :) I'm starting to collect the physical albums now, after years of only having digital. I picked up Nimrod the other night at Walmart for $7.00. I think I'll check out Target and Best Buy next, after Rasputin of course. :) Now before I go I have one more question, is there really a difference in terms of audio between the 1992 version of Kerplunk and the repress? I heard the remaster doesn't sound too well.

Thanks for the answers guys! :) I'm starting to collect the physical albums now, after years of only having digital. I picked up Nimrod the other night at Walmart for $7.00. I think I'll check out Target and Best Buy next, after Rasputin of course. :) Now before I go I have one more question, is there really a difference in terms of audio between the 1992 version of Kerplunk and the repress? I heard the remaster doesn't sound too well.

Idk. I don't have the original version to tell, so I can't compare them

Oh shit, why'd I even bother to post if I can't answer your question? :P

Have they played 21st Century Breakdown live since the 21st Century Breakdown tour?

No

• Like 1

I usually see Uno, Tre, and Warning at the Walmart near me. I also found the Oh Love EP at a Walmart near my cousin's house.

Walmart doesn't sell AI or 21CBD. I think I've seen 1039 there once or twice. I haven't been there recently enough to say about the trilogy.

Actually, Walmart has their own edited version of AI. I've never seen it in person, but it's on their site.

How do Billie Joe and Mike jump so high?! There's probably no logical answer for that. Sorry if it doesn't belong here.

How do Billie Joe and Mike jump so high?! There's probably no logical answer for that. Sorry if it doesn't belong here.

Good knees.

They do jump amazingly high! Probably helps that they're small, fit, and have had lots of practice.

Actually, Walmart has their own edited version of AI. I've never seen it in person, but it's on their site.

Well, I'm no American and I have no clue about the local culture there but what kind of record shop seriously edits the records its selling? Like wtf? Considering AI and 21CB aren't even very dirty or controversial records? It's free speech...so can someone explain it to me :o ? That sounds damn right stupid. Edited by Nowhereman

Well, I'm no American and I have no clue about the local culture there but what kind of record shop seriously edits the records its selling? Like wtf? Considering AI and 21CB aren't even very dirty or controversial records? It's free speech...so can someone explain it to me :o ? That sounds damn right stupid.

The shops don't, the record label does. Because albums that get an explicit tag can't be sold in shops, so they potentially make less money. Just like a movie that's Rated R compared to a movie that's PG13. There are more restrictions on PG13 so more people can see it (under 18, not overly violent/gore etc.). The same is true with explicit tags. Record companies know that putting out an album that's marked explicit means that fewer places will carry it (including large places like WalMart) and some parents wouldn't buy it for their kids. So they put out another version that's censored to sell to them. Green Day was against that and instead chose not to sell 21CB in WalMart.

• Like 1

Good physical healt and relatively young age both help a lot. Plus in Billies case, one of the perk of being short is that you don't have to worry about your knees usually as much as tall people have to.

The shops don't, the record label does. Because albums that get an explicit tag can't be sold in shops, so they potentially make less money. Just like a movie that's Rated R compared to a movie that's PG13. There are more restrictions on PG13 so more people can see it (under 18, not overly violent/gore etc.). The same is true with explicit tags. Record companies know that putting out an album that's marked explicit means that fewer places will carry it (including large places like WalMart) and some parents wouldn't buy it for their kids. So they put out another version that's censored to sell to them. Green Day was against that and instead chose not to sell 21CB in WalMart.

aah thanks. :D . Still sounds dull cos a few dirty words don't kill anyone considering the kids probably already know them but yeah, it's America...

• Hermione changed the title to Green Day Q&A Thread
  • lizziebix pinned this topic