Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

57 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

So the new guitar Chris Lord-Alge gave Billie for his birthday was a 1956 Les Paul Black Beauty that he asked for. It looked like he was playing this same model guitar at the 2013 Reading Festival. It’s the one he throws off the stage and breaks during Waiting because it’s out of tune. Was that the same model? 

It is also a Les Paul Black Beauty but from the looks of it it's most likely a reissued model and not a vintage. I know he has a habit of breaking guitars but I feel like he's smart enough to not smash a vintage model

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Miko said:

This is a general question for everyone and it's the most important question you'll answer today.

Which Green Day song is the best show opener of all time?

If I'd have to pick, I'm reeeeeeally torn between 99 Revolutions and 21st Century Breakdown. Both of those songs are fantastic openers to any show (stadium or club) with 99 Revolutions focusing on high energy and 21st Century Breakdown already starting ONE TWO THREE LETS GO sequence that is well known for anyone who has been in Green Day concert. Ultimately I'd still choose 99 Revolutions, because 21st Century Breakdown could be a closer aswell, but 99 Revolutions cannot be and The Boys™ even proved it in 2012 that it cannot be under any circumstances a fucking closer to the show ever again.

Is there anyone who actually likes seeing American Idiot or Know Your Enemy as opener? It feels so weird to hear either of those songs played as first.
I don't know did they ever did it outside Tiki Bar, but Nuclear Family could be great opener aswell.

21st Century Breakdown, hands down. I love 99 Revolutions and it was an amazing opener (my second favourite for sure), but nothing has ever quite captured the excitement of seeing my favourite band like Rock 'n' Roll Radio, then Song of the Century followed by 21st Century Breakdown. That may be purely sentimental though, because it was my first tour and the best one in my opinion. I still remember that feeling so well that I get butterflies whenever I hear Rock 'n' Roll Radio.

I really don't mind Know Your Enemy as an opener. The drums build a pretty exciting atmosphere. I'd obviously prefer a song I like even more, but I doubt that'll ever happen, so Know Your Enemy is perfectly OK. Haven't seen American Idiot but I imagine it'd remind me of watching Bullet in a Bible and I'd probably enjoy it.

Brutal Love was the best closer. Last Night on Earth and When It's Time were good, but nothing quite compares to Brutal Love.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Karol Oliveira said:

And in my dream show, the band would open with Panic Song. Can you guys imagine Green Day opening with that bass line?!

That would just be too awesome.

• Like 1

I loved the „Song of the Century“ Intro when the lights were off and everyone‘s singing in the dark. And when 21stCB started I got goosebumps when they turned on the lights, showed the LED skyline and walked on stage.

But I would love to hear the new Medley/Intro with Know Your Enemy back during the RevRad Tour

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Red said:

Agreed 100%.

I still can relive the moment in my head. Everyone waiting in anticipation... The lights go dark... radio frequencies echo, then Song of the Century starts... the entire arena are all singing along with you and that's when you hear it, the beginning of the song... You are about to actually see Green Day and the show is going to be amazing... Nothing else exists except this moment.

The stage lights up with a cityscape, the band walks out and everyone screams... Tre sits down and starts using the kick drum and as it gets louder, Billie climbs up and just as the song kicks in... "BOOM!" and Billie Jumps and plays the opening chords of the song. 

One of Green Day's most epic songs ever has just started and it hits you.. that's when you realize that the next 7 or so minutes are going to be among the best 7 minutes of your life... and the show is only getting started.

American Idiot was a great opener for the album and tour, but it doesn't come close to 21st Century Breakdown.

That's exactly it. If I close my eyes when I hear it it all comes back to me just as you describe 

• Like 2

Can anyone direct me to blonde Billie photos? Preferably trilogy/Quattro blonde or Rock Band? Is there a section anywhere?!

2 hours ago, Radiation Fear said:

Can anyone direct me to blonde Billie photos? Preferably trilogy/Quattro blonde or Rock Band? Is there a section anywhere?!

I think the photo section of GDA is still out of action but there's a Tumblr dedicated to blonde Billie if that helps. Link here https://www.tumblr.com/blondebabebillie

• Like 2
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Red said:

God it was such an epic way to open a show! Was that one of the shows you were at?
Regardless, it looks like you got an awesome spot to enjoy the whole spectacle.

For me personally, when I hear the song I visualize the official music video and the way it brings the album art to life in stylized animation. Man I love that thing.

It really, really was and yes I was at that show. Great times

Will have to revisit the official music video again. The one I posted has always been my go to

For 2010 the person that filmed that video must have had a pretty good set up because it's such a great recording! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Here's a question, well sort of. 

We have all heard Viva La Gloria (Little Girl) followed by Restless Heart Syndrome, but has anyone tried playing them the other way around? You totally should and tell me if you notice this... or maybe you already did and I am just late to the party 😅

Spoiler

I can't believe it took me until last year to notice that the RHS chorus is pretty much the same as that little hook throughout Little Girl (like the intro for example). It seems super obvious to me now but it just goes to show how good the band is at taking something that is on paper almost exactly the same chord progression, but making it sound and feel completely different.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Red said:

Here's a question, well sort of. 

We have all heard Viva La Gloria (Little Girl) followed by Restless Heart Syndrome, but has anyone tried playing them the other way around? You totally should and tell me if you notice this... or maybe you already did and I am just late to the party 😅

Hide contents

I can't believe it took me until last year to notice that the RHS chorus is pretty much the same as that little hook throughout Little Girl (like the intro for example). It seems super obvious to me now but it just goes to show how good the band is at taking something that is on paper almost exactly the same chord progression, but making it sound and feel completely different.

Good catch I never noticed that or heard it pointed out before. I like it

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As a Green Day fan, what are your other interests in life?  We are all multi-faceted creatures.  I feel like a jack of all hobbies, check em out and see what we have in common:

I enjoy waterfall hikes, reading Stephen King, learning about religion, death and the size of the universe. I also like painting, writing, tumbling rocks and animals.  And comic books.   Writing poetry.    Oh and lakes!  

When I need to really recharge, I put on a life jacket and float aimlessly through the murky water.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2023 at 11:26 AM, legendary said:

Has someone the photo of Billie Joe and Chris Martin (Coldplay) in good quality? 

Dressed or undressed?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

Dressed or undressed?

That sounds like there’s a pic of the two of them naked.  I feel I would have remembered that. 😂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jengd said:

That sounds like there’s a pic of the two of them naked.  I feel I would have remembered that. 😂

I have both but I just saw the "good quality" part so nevermind. Billie and the various Chris's he has 'made art' with will share it when they are comfortable.   If I leak the bad quality one, it just wouldn't be right.  

😄 

2 hours ago, Insomniac90 said:

https://oor.nl/concerten/green-day-en-de-kettingbotsing-van-punkklassiekers-in-groningen/

Does anyone know where to get this shirt he‘s wearing in the picture? I kinda fell in love with it but can‘t find it or a similar one 😂

He had a similar long sleeve one he got from The Cast NYC. Maybe they have something like it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found a video of Billie Joe Armstrong writing in a notebook while sitting in a closet? Please message me if you have seen it. 

• Haha 1