Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

On 1/9/2023 at 8:25 PM, jengd said:

It’s quite a wide ranging documentary, ends with Revrad so covering a lot of their career, I really enjoyed it.  Thanks for helping. 

After making further enquiries was referred to MTV Hong Kong. Got a reply to my email which sadly was not very helpful, having been referred to their sales team.

"We appreciate your interest in purchasing from our store. Unfortunately, we are currently out of stock of the item and do not know when to expect these to be back in stock again."

MTV Shop Customer Support
contact@mtvshopsupport.com

How can you be out of stock of a TV broadcast?

Sorry. 

Blimey, didn’t realise you were still on the hunt!  Hopefully it’ll be shown again at some point but usually somebody somewhere captures these things for YouTube if nothing else!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, That Dude said:

We need to establish what shade of green is the official shade of Green Day.  

Wasn't that determined when they decided on their name? A sort of leafy green from the weed family. 😜

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pcj said:

Wasn't that determined when they decided on their name? A sort of leafy green from the weed family. 😜

I guess we need the name of the color.  

32 minutes ago, Liam said:

Does anyone know the character names of Billie’s band in Ordinary World? Besides Gary (Fred Armisten)

Perry, Gary, Pete and Johnny

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I haven’t seen the film recently enough to know what each one looks like, that’s why I’m asking 😂

On 2/26/2023 at 3:30 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

Pete is bass, Johnny is guitar

Great thanks.. Now I need to rewatch this because I forgot how much I liked it 😅

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Red said:

Great thanks.. Now I need to rewatch this because I forgot how much I liked it 😅

Maybe Billie Joe will further his acting career. The next mega film star

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pcj said:

Maybe Billie Joe will further his acting career. The next mega film star

Then when he becomes the greatest actor of all time, maybe the American Idiot movie could be a thing again? 

Billie would totally kill it at playing a teenage character even in his 60s 😄

On 1/19/2023 at 6:24 AM, Mato said:

Have these versions ever leaked in full? Love the orchestra in the mix, and Letterbomb which is in a totally different key (B instead of E). I would love to get my hands on full versions of these!

A lot of these actually sound A LOT like the American Idiot theatrical production soundtrack, especially with the strings and stuff. Was all of this really in the original release of HLAHG? (as in way before the AI cast album was made?)

Edit: Yeah, I'm 99% sure that this entire video is just instrumental versions of the aforementioned soundtrack album, albeit maybe with ever so slightly different mixes. I knew I recognised those strings from somewhere, and even letterbomb is in the exact same key. You should check it out if you haven't already, it's absolutely fantastic.

On another note, does anyone know if full instrumental versions of the AI cast soundtrack exist (as in obtainable)? It would be nice to be able to listen to all the different layers of instrumentation without having to try and ignore the vocals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red said:

On another note, does anyone know if full instrumental versions of the AI cast soundtrack exist (as in obtainable)? It would be nice to be able to listen to all the different layers of instrumentation without having to try and ignore the vocals.

There's none official but it's the future so you can use machine learning. The site https://spleeter.online/ is the best web implementation of spleeter I could find but it only exports in mp3. https://ezstems.com/ exports in wav but has a 5mb upload limit so you can't really upload wav to begin with. If that matters to you, you'll have to learn to run spleeter on your own computer which is a little hard if you're not familiar with the command line.

Anyway vocals and individual tracks are hit or miss depending on the song but instrumentals almost always sound great, here's Letterbomb as an example https://mega.nz/file/uJ1mFTDK#AcMjMua-wwWwi-WpSNREtexYiXD8Rot5ZROzmGJjhrA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, green day is said:

There's none official but it's the future so you can use machine learning. The site https://spleeter.online/ is the best web implementation of spleeter I could find but it only exports in mp3. https://ezstems.com/ exports in wav but has a 5mb upload limit so you can't really upload wav to begin with. If that matters to you, you'll have to learn to run spleeter on your own computer which is a little hard if you're not familiar with the command line.

Anyway vocals and individual tracks are hit or miss depending on the song but instrumentals almost always sound great, here's Letterbomb as an example https://mega.nz/file/uJ1mFTDK#AcMjMua-wwWwi-WpSNREtexYiXD8Rot5ZROzmGJjhrA

Thanks for your reply. I have found that too many frequencies are lost during the vocal removal process for me to really enjoy them, which results in a lot of artifacting and a general lossy sound (this is extremely prevalent in the final chorus of the Letterbomb file that you provided where the new piano section cuts in and out, and then the vocals pop in and out at the very end).

I've even personally used this software (or something extremely similar) to try and extract strings from this cast version of Boulevard but didn't end up using them for my project as the quality was too low.

With all the different adaptations of the musical out there which will have undoubtedly had access to the official instrumentals, I have hope that they will show up here eventually and when they do, they're going straight on my instrumentals playlist.

3 hours ago, Red said:

With all the different adaptations of the musical out there which will have undoubtedly had access to the official instrumentals, I have hope that they will show up here eventually and when they do, they're going straight on my instrumentals playlist.

Sadly that’s not the case. You can very easily find the companies that hire out the musical around the world and see what you get in the pack and sadly there isn’t instrumentals. I also spoke to a friend who’s done the musical and has confirmed you don’t get it 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Liam said:

Sadly that’s not the case. You can very easily find the companies that hire out the musical around the world and see what you get in the pack and sadly there isn’t instrumentals. I also spoke to a friend who’s done the musical and has confirmed you don’t get it 

I'm assuming it must just be some basic stems for strings and whatnot then right?

I wouldn't expect every single adaptation of the musical to have to try and replicate the string segments themselves. All in all I guess I could say that I'm just really interested to know exactly what is in this pack 😅

This is a general question for everyone and it's the most important question you'll answer today.

Which Green Day song is the best show opener of all time?

If I'd have to pick, I'm reeeeeeally torn between 99 Revolutions and 21st Century Breakdown. Both of those songs are fantastic openers to any show (stadium or club) with 99 Revolutions focusing on high energy and 21st Century Breakdown already starting ONE TWO THREE LETS GO sequence that is well known for anyone who has been in Green Day concert. Ultimately I'd still choose 99 Revolutions, because 21st Century Breakdown could be a closer aswell, but 99 Revolutions cannot be and The Boys™ even proved it in 2012 that it cannot be under any circumstances a fucking closer to the show ever again.

Is there anyone who actually likes seeing American Idiot or Know Your Enemy as opener? It feels so weird to hear either of those songs played as first.

I don't know did they ever did it outside Tiki Bar, but Nuclear Family could be great opener aswell.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:22 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

Perry, Gary, Pete and Johnny

You are a top tier Green Day, nice!  I think these guys might be the Network.

Much as I loved the 21CBD tour and the song was a great opener, I think AI is such a blast, it’s the best opening song  ever.

So the new guitar Chris Lord-Alge gave Billie for his birthday was a 1956 Les Paul Black Beauty that he asked for. It looked like he was playing this same model guitar at the 2013 Reading Festival. It’s the one he throws off the stage and breaks during Waiting because it’s out of tune. Was that the same model?