Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

On 8/3/2022 at 5:56 AM, Slave To The Network said:

So the mystery of where the Kill The DJ photo came from is still unsolved. Hmmm. I wonder who might be the best person to dig up an answer. 🤔 I know I'm very curious as well.

Any chance one of the big fansites that have been around for a long time might know? 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Any chance one of the big fansites that have been around for a long time might know? 

After I typed that I thought "oh wait, that's GDC" :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DearlyBeloved87 said:

Does anyone have any video of Billie holding an american flag?

caa8a182241eb43312ba0f181da65df0ab73a508

2c8c02db70794595bb26c5efa3b54654ceb90595

Photographer Matt Salacuse for NME Magazine 

• Love 1

Can anyone out there please help. With so much info out there on Green Day, I thought I'd produce my own list for myself of everything Green Day have released in chronological order. Ep's, LP's, singles, demos, covers, live, including all side projects. My plan is to listen to everything in order, armed with by Green Day Treasurers book and those facsimile tickets, and posters, and allow my head to go back in time and imagine being there with the music. Crazy ain't I. No problem I thought? I'm in 1989 with the second EP and I'm fucked already. 

According to greenday.fm, 39/Smooth album was released on 13th April 1990, after the EP 1,000 Hours. Then Slappy EP was recorded on 20th April 1990, thereby released after 39/Smooth album. The way the pictures of the covers is shown anyway on the site. Not so according to 'Green Day American Idiots & The New Punk Explosion' by Ben Myers. I won't quote word for word in case of copyright. Basically, according to Ben, Green Day went into Art of Ears Studio on 29th December 1989 and finished recording 39/Smooth by 2nd January 1990, ready to go costing $675 dollars to record. Before its release Livermore got cold feet and wanted to test the water first. He sent the band back to Art of Ears. They recorded 4 new tracks in a few hours (wow), and Slappy was released first on 7". Ben went on to say Green Day's second record released helped widen their reputation. The album that followed would leave even a bigger impact. 

At least after that all sources agree that Sweet Children EP followed, and the compilation 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours after that. Maybe I'm confused and have misunderstood. Sources like Wikipedia only provide limited into. If Ben turns out to be correct it's a fascinating thought. Here's Green Day, recording done ready for first album to be released, and your sent back to the studio to record some more tracks. No problem they say, here's four more you.

Again, if I've messed up appologies and thanks for putting me right.

3 hours ago, pcj said:

Can anyone out there please help. With so much info out there on Green Day, I thought I'd produce my own list for myself of everything Green Day have released in chronological order. Ep's, LP's, singles, demos, covers, live, including all side projects. My plan is to listen to everything in order, armed with by Green Day Treasurers book and those facsimile tickets, and posters, and allow my head to go back in time and imagine being there with the music. Crazy ain't I. No problem I thought? I'm in 1989 with the second EP and I'm fucked already. 

According to greenday.fm, 39/Smooth album was released on 13th April 1990, after the EP 1,000 Hours. Then Slappy EP was recorded on 20th April 1990, thereby released after 39/Smooth album. The way the pictures of the covers is shown anyway on the site. Not so according to 'Green Day American Idiots & The New Punk Explosion' by Ben Myers. I won't quote word for word in case of copyright. Basically, according to Ben, Green Day went into Art of Ears Studio on 29th December 1989 and finished recording 39/Smooth by 2nd January 1990, ready to go costing $675 dollars to record. Before its release Livermore got cold feet and wanted to test the water first. He sent the band back to Art of Ears. They recorded 4 new tracks in a few hours (wow), and Slappy was released first on 7". Ben went on to say Green Day's second record released helped widen their reputation. The album that followed would leave even a bigger impact. 

At least after that all sources agree that Sweet Children EP followed, and the compilation 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours after that. Maybe I'm confused and have misunderstood. Sources like Wikipedia only provide limited into. If Ben turns out to be correct it's a fascinating thought. Here's Green Day, recording done ready for first album to be released, and your sent back to the studio to record some more tracks. No problem they say, here's four more you.

Again, if I've messed up appologies and thanks for putting me right.

According to Green Day FAQ by Hank Bordowitz which is another good reference book they recorded 1,000 Hours in 1988 and released it in April 1989.  Then they recorded 39/Smooth in late December 1989 and the album is released in “early 1990”. Then they recorded Slappy on April 20, 1990 and it is released in “Summer 1990”. So, no it does not appear that the release of 39/Smooth was delayed to record the Slappy EP.  It came out before, likely January or February 1990.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

After I typed that I thought "oh wait, that's GDC" :lol:

Geek Stink Breath can't verify any facts from after AI 

On 8/28/2022 at 12:30 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

According to Green Day FAQ by Hank Bordowitz which is another good reference book they recorded 1,000 Hours in 1988 and released it in April 1989.  Then they recorded 39/Smooth in late December 1989 and the album is released in “early 1990”. Then they recorded Slappy on April 20, 1990 and it is released in “Summer 1990”. So, no it does not appear that the release of 39/Smooth was delayed to record the Slappy EP.  It came out before, likely January or February 1990.

Even the band themselves have a hard time really verifying release facts from when they were on Lookout Records. This is mostly due to production issues faced by the company at the time. All the records were assembled by Larry himself and when Op Ivy's Energy outsold the initial expectation Larry and a few volunteers were perpetually behind in assembling the albums. Fast forward years later and add Kerplunk into the mix and they were completely slammed. 

Green Day's sales accelerated quickly and throughout their life on Lookout Records Larry could never produce enough supply to meet demand. This probably lead to chaos and a lot of confusion. Those books and FAQs are mostly based off anecdotal info from people on the scene. Someone may have seen an EP before they saw the album despite the initial pressing of the album being released first or vice-versa. It really depends on what the band had available to sell at the shows when they arrived. 

Any hard release dates we do have are just the dates where initial pressings were sold and for 39/Smooth they didn't have many. 

• Like 3

What is your most played Green Day song of all time?   (Not just on whatever streaming service, but from your birth up until 2022.)

I believe mine to be "Scattered", because I've never really stopped listening to Nimrod since it's release, and that's the song that I go back to the most.   "Worry Rock" could also be up there.

Do they have a technology where we can search our memories yet?   If you're a baller and can afford something like that, go ahead and use it to answer my question, please.   If you're not a baller, what are you doing with your life man?   Go out and achieve some dreams and make them pay you.   

:)

Dude

Seriously why does Rock and Roll All Night get played every show? Does anyone actually know why this song gets played every show? Are they making money from it? Is the band obsessed with Gene Simmons? Does Green Day have a Kiss obsessed girlfriend? This doesn’t make sense why this song makes every setlist even with time restrictions. What is the real reason? It doesn’t make sense.

Is there any place that has old magazines scans like GDA used to have? Specifically looking for trilogy era Visions Magazine, but generally I just hope scan archives aren’t lost forever

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Is there any place that has old magazines scans like GDA used to have? Specifically looking for trilogy era Visions Magazine, but generally I just hope scan archives aren’t lost forever

Is that the one with the four different covers where the band have orange bandanas? I have those but no idea where they are and no scanner

Actually no you're looking for something different, they were 21CB era. Just ignore me :lol:

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 2:43 PM, That Dude said:

What is your most played Green Day song of all time?   (Not just on whatever streaming service, but from your birth up until 2022.)

I believe mine to be "Scattered", because I've never really stopped listening to Nimrod since it's release, and that's the song that I go back to the most.   "Worry Rock" could also be up there.

Do they have a technology where we can search our memories yet?   If you're a baller and can afford something like that, go ahead and use it to answer my question, please.   If you're not a baller, what are you doing with your life man?   Go out and achieve some dreams and make them pay you.   

:)

Dude

Back in '91 listening to all sorts of amazing shit, still felt there was something missing. Just something I could relate too and shut out this fucked up world. Then it happened, on the radio one day, an awesome sound entered my ears and sent my brain as high as a kite. Dry Ice by some band called Green Day. The intro, that sound from Billie Joe's guitar 'blue". I'd never heard anything like it. Thank you Green Day you changed my life for ever. Dry Ice will always have a special place in my heart. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, pcj said:

Back in '91 listening to all sorts of amazing shit, still felt there was something missing. Just something I could relate too and shut out this fucked up world. Then it happened, on the radio one day, an awesome sound entered my ears and sent my brain as high as a kite. Dry Ice by some band called Green Day. The intro, that sound from Billie Joe's guitar 'blue". I'd never heard anything like it. Thank you Green Day you changed my life for ever. Dry Ice will always have a special place in my heart. 

What station was playing Dry Ice?  That's my favorite for the Lookout Era. 

Nice!

5 hours ago, That Dude said:

What station was playing Dry Ice?  That's my favorite for the Lookout Era. 

Nice!

I think It was Radio City (Liverpool). I remember they had an hour show once a weak playing awesome punk/alternative, mainly from across the pond in US. I remember first seeing Green Day live towards end of their first? European tour down the road in Wigan I think, or was that later '92. Those days are little vague now, can't remember what I was on. Well remember before then  getting CD version of Kerplunk. Awe man, fuck me, I couldn't stop playing that album I was well gone.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:56 AM, Slave To The Network said:

So the mystery of where the Kill The DJ photo came from is still unsolved. Hmmm. I wonder who might be the best person to dig up an answer. 🤔 I know I'm very curious as well.

I'm pretty sure it's from an mtv news interview while filming the video. I think I might have it I'll have to look

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcj said:

I think It was Radio City (Liverpool). I remember they had an hour show once a weak playing awesome punk/alternative, mainly from across the pond in US. I remember first seeing Green Day live towards end of their first? European tour down the road in Wigan I think, or was that later '92. Those days are little vague now, can't remember what I was on. Well remember before then  getting CD version of Kerplunk. Awe man, fuck me, I couldn't stop playing that album I was well gone.

You have a valuable fan card. 

Good Riddance got me here.  

• Thanks 1

For me it was a commercial on MTV Germany for International Superhits. I loved Basket Case as a kid but never knew the artist until the commercial and I bought the CD. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Insomniac90 said:

For me it was a commercial on MTV Germany for International Superhits. I loved Basket Case as a kid but never knew the artist until the commercial and I bought the CD. 

I knew of Green Day before Nimrod, but not much.  I saw a friend in elementary school with a Green Day shirt and that was about it. 

I donated to GDA once.  Does this mean I own GDA? 

Am I in charge here?

If I am not, say that I am.

If I am, say that I am.

That why I will be sure and unsure all at once.  I want to post more than anyone on here, but I've got a long way to go.