Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

Just now, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Holy shit, I did not know that was Billie talking in EJN. I've just gone back to listen to it and it really doesn't sound like him, but it also does kinda sound like him at the same time.:lol:

Now you have me doubting a little :lol: but i assumed because he said it during the gigs, it must be him in the recording.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

Now you have me doubting a little :lol: but i assumed because he said it during the gigs, it must be him in the recording.

That's what I used to think, but when he says it at gigs, it sounds different to the recording.:lol: Man, this is gonna irritate me until I find out who actually says it.:lol:

That's what I used to think, but when he says it at gigs, it sounds different to the recording.:lol: Man, this is gonna irritate me until I find out who actually says it.:lol:

It's possible it's him with a voice changer maybe? it's got that nasally sound that we all know and love which is throwing me off :lol: 

2 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

It's possible it's him with a voice changer maybe? it's got that nasally sound that we all know and love which is throwing me off :lol: 

Yeah, maybe. Or could he just be putting on a different voice? He's pretty good at doing voices, as proven by yesterday's instagram live.:lol:

• Haha 1

Yeah, maybe. Or could he just be putting on a different voice? He's pretty good at doing voices, as proven by yesterday's instagram live.:lol:

Chriiiiiiiissss!!! :lol:

I keep reading that Billie cracked a rib pounding his chest with the microphone in Holiday. Is there a source or is this just another tumblr bullshit story?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

I keep reading that Billie cracked a rib pounding his chest with the microphone in Holiday. Is there a source or is this just another tumblr bullshit story?

On this tour?

19 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

On this tour?

No, the music video. I’ve seen it around a few times but never seen a source. 

2 hours ago, ¡Jenn! said:

Yeah, the pitch was changed.  Someone on the reddit sub changed it back one time, and it's definitely him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ¡Jenn! said:

I don't know I the story is true but I think it couldn't have been a rib. Maybe a collarbone?

2 hours ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

I don't know I the story is true but I think it couldn't have been a rib. Maybe a collarbone?

Yes, I'd forgotten that.  He said he cracked a rib at the bit at the end where he is on his knees in front of the car at the "bang, bang" bit by hitting himself with the microphone!

14 hours ago, ¡Jenn! said:

I thought for ages after I first heard it that it wasn't Billie but realised eventually it was him :P I did the same thing when EJN came out and I heard the 'and you will see..' part. It throws you off because it's not his singing voice but it's him.

I'm pretty sure it's a sample in EJN. For one thing when Billie replicates it live he quotes it wrong so that it's no longer grammatically correct :P (on the CD: "And you will see how godless a nation we have become" live: "And you will see how godless OF a nation we have become"), and I don't think he ever would've phrased it the correct way it's said on the CD.

Plus it also comes after a bunch of mixed up radio samples and sounds like one, like you're tuning the radio and that's the station you settle on and hear a whole line from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jengd said:

Yes, I'd forgotten that.  He said he cracked a rib at the bit at the end where he is on his knees in front of the car at the "bang, bang" bit by hitting himself with the microphone!

Yes, that's the part where it's supposed to have happened! Do you know where he said that? The tumblr post has 14k notes and it's distressing me slightly that that many people would assume it's correct without a source :lol: 

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

I'm pretty sure it's a sample in EJN. For one thing when Billie replicates it live he quotes it wrong so that it's no longer grammatically correct :P (on the CD: "And you will see how godless a nation we have become" live: "And you will see how godless OF a nation we have become"), and I don't think he ever would've phrased it the correct way it's said on the CD.

Plus it also comes after a bunch of mixed up radio samples and sounds like one, like you're tuning the radio and that's the station you settle on and hear a whole line from.

The fact it comes after radio samples throws me off a bit, but it could easily be that the radio settles on Billie Joe's opening statement before the song begins. If it's a sample though, I wonder where they got it from?

54 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

The fact it comes after radio samples throws me off a bit, but it could easily be that the radio settles on Billie Joe's opening statement before the song begins. If it's a sample though, I wonder where they got it from?

I don't think he ever would've used the phrase "how godless a nation" though. It's too posh/proper and I think the fact he's added the "of" every single time he's ever said it on stage shows he wouldn't have known to phrase it that way and never would've said it. 

I guess musicians/producers just know where to get samples from :lol:. There's random samples on loads of albums and radio ones are one of the most common. I think you get, like, libraries of them.

9 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I don't think he ever would've used the phrase "how godless a nation" though. It's too posh/proper and I think the fact he's added the "of" every single time he's ever said it on stage shows he wouldn't have known to phrase it that way and never would've said it. 

I guess musicians/producers just know where to get samples from :lol:. There's random samples on loads of albums and radio ones are one of the most common. I think you get, like, libraries of them.

I dunno If that means much though. In the "sample", if it's him he's playing a character so there's no reason he wouldn't word it that way. And if it wasn't him, Billie would still have listened to the song and chosen the sample so would still know what the phrase is :P 

I dunno, I'm still erring on the side of it being Billie - it's got a tell tale nasal sound that I can't explain away!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Just to point out that even when it is him he changes the words of the recorded versions. It always irks me a little that he always says live “the representative of (whereever) NOW has the floor” where on the record he just says “the representative of (California) has the floor”. I think he just mistakenly remembers it that way and it gets stuck like muscle memory.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Just to point out that even when it is him he changes the words of the recorded versions. It always irks me a little that he always says live “the representative of (whereever) NOW has the floor” where on the record he just says “the representative of (California) has the floor”. I think he just mistakenly remembers it that way and it gets stuck like muscle memory.

Oh, so that's why I always sing it wrong? :P

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yeah but in this case even if he'd never repeated it live I don't believe he ever would've used the phrase "how godless a nation" in the first place. It's too "proper" and just isn't the way he'd phrase it :P, like even if he was trying to sound more proper I don't think he'd be aware that that's a way to phrase it.

3 hours ago, ¡Jenn! said:

Yes, that's the part where it's supposed to have happened! Do you know where he said that? The tumblr post has 14k notes and it's distressing me slightly that that many people would assume it's correct without a source :lol: 

He’s said it a few times, I know he said it one time they did a look back at their music videos for Kerang TV when they also spoke about how he broke his tooth the night before filming Good Riddance, maybe the Howard Stern interview last year? Will try and think, nothing on Google or YouTube from my searches so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Montclare said:

Found the post on reddit where someone edited it-

Holy shit I just listened to this, it is him :lol:. I can only think maybe he was quoting from something because I still don't believe he would've written it that way :P 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Holy shit I just listened to this, it is him :lol:. I can only think maybe he was quoting from something because I still don't believe he would've written it that way :P 

But why not? It's not that sophisticated, I don't find it that hard to believe Billie made it up. It's just basic grammar :P 

6 hours ago, ¡Jenn! said:

3 hours ago, jengd said:

He’s said it a few times, I know he said it one time they did a look back at their music videos for Kerang TV when they also spoke about how he broke his tooth the night before filming Good Riddance, maybe the Howard Stern interview last year? Will try and think, nothing on Google or YouTube from my searches so far.

He talks about it at 2:00 in this video, but he says he bruised his ribs, not cracked them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

He talks about it at 2:00 in this video, but he says he bruised his ribs, not cracked them.

Thank you so much!

• Hermione changed the title to Green Day Q&A Thread