Random Green Day News

Hermione

3 hours ago, Give_Me_Novacaine90 said:

https://people.com/music/green-day-billie-joe-armstrong-turns-1962-chevy-nova-guitars-stolen/

The Green Day frontman, 49, shared photos Saturday of his beloved 1962 Chevrolet Nova with his 2.4 million followers, after his car of more than 30 years was stolen in Costa Mesa, Calif. "My car was STOLEN," he wrote in the caption.

"This car is near and dear to all our hearts and has been in the GD family for over 30 years," Armstrong added. "Please send any sighting, tips or info to the Costa Mesa police."

The unidentified suspects also stole two electric guitars and an amplifier, likely sometime Friday night or Saturday morning, according to a statement from the Costa Mesa Police Department.

There’s a thread for this now:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Sounds like they're ribbing on Minor Threat because Holiday came first

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No way, i just assumed it was the other way around. Thanks for clarifying 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

I agree there should be a stricter system and this seems to work as well as any even knowing no system is perfect. It tightens the inducted list up in most of the right ways. Happy to see even under tighter rules, Elvis Costello and Green Day still make it 😊 and buh-bye Foo Fighters 😜

• Like 3

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I agree there should be a stricter system and this seems to work as well as any even knowing no system is perfect. It tightens the inducted list up in most of the right ways. Happy to see even under tighter rules, Elvis Costello and Green Day still make it 😊 and buh-bye Foo Fighters 😜

I didn't tally them all up, but am I the only person feeling like they purged mostly black artists? They even admitted that blues artists, who are usually black, don't fare well in this system. I feel like they purged many black artists and groups from the early days of rock and roll who were invaluable in making rock and roll what it is today (and often did not get credit for it). Same is true for the early rap artists they purged. Assigning points based on appearances in various top blah blah blah lists just further perpetuates the bias of those who create such lists. This methodology sucks. 

Love, love, love making the RRHOF more exclusive.  So many people that have gotten in in recent years have been ridiculous and have had nothing to do with rock.  Don't fully agree with this list (seriously, kicking out the Hollies?), but love the idea.  To me, for the more recent inductees, if you haven't charted on a rock chart, you shouldn't get in (obviously this doesn't apply to artists who weren't around before rock charts existed).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Montclare said:

Love, love, love making the RRHOF more exclusive.  So many people that have gotten in in recent years have been ridiculous and have had nothing to do with rock.  Don't fully agree with this list (seriously, kicking out the Hollies?), but love the idea.  To me, for the more recent inductees, if you haven't charted on a rock chart, you shouldn't get in (obviously this doesn't apply to artists who weren't around before rock charts existed).

But I feel like that opens up the question of "what is rock and roll?" Is it just what one chart says is rock and roll? And who gets to decide what type of music that chart tracks? Music changes, and the institutions of music have to change accordingly. Gate-keeping in general makes me nervous, and this honestly sounds like trying to enforce a strict definition of "white people rock music" that excludes types of music most often associated with people of color. I am not in any way saying that that is your intention, just that that is the likely effect of this. What I am saying is that rock and roll is and should be a very big tent, and there is no need to start issuing purity tests of any kind. Anyone who has significantly advanced popular music in any form has a place in the RRHOF in my opinion. (Let's also not forget that rock and roll owes its existence largely to black blues artists.)

@Lady Mix-A-Lot If that were the case, they would certainly not keep in major artists such as Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin. Also, many acts that you would expect to be a shoe-in for the Rock Hall were removed. (Foo Fighters, Joan Jett, Kiss, Chicago, Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Yes, Def Leppard, etc.)

People seem to forget that the Rock Hall celebrates music as a whole, while being mainly focused on rock.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

@Lady Mix-A-Lot If that were the case, they would certainly not keep in major artists such as Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin. Also, many acts that you would expect to be a shoe-in for the Rock Hall were removed. (Foo Fighters, Joan Jett, Kiss, Chicago, Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Yes, Def Leppard, etc.)

People seem to forget that the Rock Hall celebrates music as a whole, while being mainly focused on rock.

I think you are making my point for me though LOL. Rock and roll is a very diverse form of music that intersects with and draws from many other genres. It has always been about being rebellious and breaking rules. The Rock Hall acknowledges this and rewards artists whose work transforms the music landscape. Heck, Green Day's music was and is game-changing, that's why they are in the Hall, and that's why we love them. Yes, that might be a subjective thing to measure, but so is everything, and it is a hell of a lot better than relying on dumb top-bizillon lists than can only be generated years after the fact when artists' legacies can be measured and compared. (Further, as someone who works with numbers for a living, I can assure you that data rarely actually measures the things people think it does.) The fact that this particular list kept some artists of color and booted some white artists does not change the fact that litmus tests like some others have suggested above will do nothing but reward the same types of people to keep making the same types of music instead of incentivizing experimentation and boundary-pushing. 

As you mentioned, the Rock Hall celebrates music as a whole. Let's keep it that way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :) 

8 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

While a large chunk of the omissions are very awfully thought out, they make it extremely clear that removals were based on number of hits and albums that make GOAT lists, not bigotry. The thought process is very by the numbers, and they acknowledged the fact that pioneering and timelessness took a back seat in order to raise the bar for inductees. This probably will not be the only version of this list we’ll see, as there’s no doubt going to be a lot of pushback over the decision, as music will always be remembered by passion and longevity, not numbers.

Can we please agree and end this now?

I never said they did this out of bigotry. I said that relying on just on the numbers you mentioned is not unbiased, since there can be bias in why certain albums sell or why they get chosen for certain lists. Further, it's quite possible for artists to make significant contributions and advancements, often through influencing others, that do not always translate into charts and lists. 

That's really all I have to say so sure, we can end this. I think we largely agree anyway and you have just been repeating a lot of my ideas back to me LOL. I was not intending to upset you or anyone else, and I am not upset. I wish we could all talk about things like this without people getting all bent out of shape and acting like they are being called racists when literally no one is calling anyone a racist. You can't make any constructive changes if you can't talk about the problems.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:29 AM, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Any dipshit dumb enough to take rush out of the hall of fame shouldn’t be taken seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, That Dude said:

What did I just come across???? Is this legit?   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133973980282?hash=item1f3178b47a:g:BU8AAOSwHXphxkrL

No idea but if it were to be I would have thought it was for Geek Stink Breath :lol:

There's been GD condoms, Warning police tape and a tablet bottle before (can't remember what else off the top of my head but other weird shit) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I am not a Simpson's expert so I don't really get all of this, and I am alternately horrified and amused. And I can't stop laughing over "make the corpses more bloated and distorted." 🤣