Random Green Day News

Hermione

Hella Mega gets a mention in this Kerrang article: 12 signs that rock will dominate music in 2020:

12 SIGNS THAT ROCK WILL DOMINATE MUSIC IN 2020

Here are 12 things that herald 2020 as the Year Of Rock.

Let’s be real: in the recent past, rock music — specifically hard rock, punk, metal, and their many offshoots — has been relatively underground. Sure, huge bands like Guns N’ Roses and Foo Fighters have remained in the public eye their whole career, but even they have felt a level more entrenched than the average rap star or pop singer over the past decade. But while plenty of critics have often made the tired “rock is dead” argument, or wondered if rock will ever “reclaim its throne”, fans and artists within this community have been focusing on what’s important. If rock isn’t the flavor of the week, we’ve realized, then we have to work to make it happen.

Maybe that’s why it felt like 2019 was one of rock’s biggest years to date. Huge bands reunited, underground stars rose to the forefront, and once again the community rallying behind these musical subcultures became too loud to ignore. On top of that, these self-contained and culturally-devout genres became fascinating to those outside of them, who are fascinated by the idea of people believing in something after being fed a whole lot of nothing. It feels as though rock’s power has built in 2019 — and 2020 will be the year the dam breaks, and all the riffs surge forth upon the world at large.

Here are 12 signs of the oncoming arockalypse in 2020…

THE GREEN DAY/FALL OUT BOY/WEEZER TOUR IS GOING TO BE UNBELIEVABLE

The only thing more insane than the public response to the Hella Mega Tour was the fact that it even happened at all. Before, the idea of bringing together three such massive names in rock music was unthinkable, with bands more focused on bringing along easy-to-beat openers or rap stars to diversify crowds. But Green Day, Fall Out Boy, and Weezer made a point of showing just how enormous a tour can be when it gives fans their three favorite acts all in one place. This one is going to rule the coming year on every stop it makes.

You can read the full article here: https://www.kerrang.com/features/12-signs-that-rock-will-dominate-music-in-2020/

15 unforgettable mosh pits that made history in music

https://www.altpress.com/features/best-mosh-pits-iconic/?fbclid=IwAR2YyqWXyk_3JoGaQiG16r-9_XVI6ea3Lctumlee8g3-VPj089Rqorn34I4

2. Green Day’s mud fight at Woodstock ‘94

At this famously messy show, audience members threw clumps of mud onstage, and they can be seen whizzing by Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong as he sings.

• Like 3

On 12/15/2019 at 12:15 PM, desertrose said:

2. Green Day’s mud fight at Woodstock ‘94

At this famously messy show, audience members threw clumps of mud onstage, and they can be seen whizzing by Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong as he sings.

Hubby's not a fan but he still talks about this & Bj bleeding from his anus (of course) 😋 @Hermione

• Haha 1

Green Day get a mention in this Kerrang article: "10 Live Gigs That Made a Band's Career":

https://www.kerrang.com/features/10-live-gigs-that-made-a-bands-career/?fbclid=IwAR30L5tOD4O4pswDbKKAws3HT_wdewcWaYDTdvTNWJQGNojdkRG7jkiuu_c

GREEN DAY – WOODSTOCK ’94

For everyone who witnessed it, Green Day’s insane set at Woodstock ’94 was poetically emblematic of their seismic blast to punk rock. The trio played to thousands of muddy ruffians hurling enormous hunks of dirt onto the stage as rain poured down during the disastrous 25th anniversary of the original Woodstock.

During their legendary performance of When I Come Around, which was hitting its stride on the charts that summer, Billie Joe Armstrong remains hilariously unfazed when a massive mud pie lands on his guitar mid-song, as he gazes out at people covered head-to-toe in muck sliding down earthy slip’n’slides. It was another instance of a band playing a huge festival in tandem with their album exploding on radio, and the show is the closest thing we have to the single moment when punk broke.

Dookie and Nimrod make it into Kerrang's top 40 best punk albums since Never Mind the Bollocks (scroll through article to see the titles they picked for their top 40):

https://www.kerrang.com/features/the-40-best-punk-albums-from-1977-to-2017/?fbclid=IwAR3BHLxBvSJ1IG0wI03j5axZAFqwpVsMCXRRdyVEOIcFn11u-JVih9M4dQ4

Exclaim have done a piece on GD's donation to pay for the Denny's show damages:

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/green_day_donate_2_000_to_cover_dennys_punk_show_damages

Green Day Donate $2,000 to Pay for Denny's Punk Show Damages

"Hey Bryson call us! We wanna play the Bastards Club. Love, Green Day"

Green_Day-45.jpg

Green Day are punk as fuck. Okay sure, they're sometimes known for musical theatre and NHL partnerships, but now they've done the DIY community a solid by donating $2,000 to pay for the damages caused by a punk show at a Denny's.

To get you up to speed: a 17-year-old named Bryson Del Valle in Santa Ana, CA, went viral after throwing a hardcore show for a band called Wacko in a Denny's restaurant. He apparently booked the venue by saying it was for a birthday party, and the fans caused major damages with their aggressive moshing.

After the show, Denny's handed the organizer a $1,800 bill for the damages, and he launched a GoFundMe page to help pay for it.

Luckily for that totally badass teenager, Green Day have swooped in and covered the entire bill. The band even left a note saying, "Hey Bryson call us! We wanna play the Bastards Club. Love, Green Day." See a screencap of their Instagram story below. A video of Wacko's wild set at Denny's is also below.

Green Day's new album Father of All... is out February 7. "The Hella Mega Tour" with Weezer and Fall Out Boy will take place in summer 2020.

The whole Wacko video then follows in the article.

There's also a couple of articles here about the MOOTIK prank!

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/local-band-tricks-internet-with-green-day-fan-album-1.4734275

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/entertainment/music/panicland-having-the-time-of-their-lives-566187141.html

• Like 2

Just throwing out there that anyone can put any random name on a GoFundMe donation and the only people who know the true source of the donation (email, billing address/zip code, etc.) is the recipient of the donation 🤐

Tbh yeah if I was a billionaire I'd do good in Billie's name to make disappointed Green Day fans feel better.

(Then Bill Schneider would log on just to tell us Green Day would never do good stuff, please quit with that bullshit)

On 12/26/2019 at 4:51 AM, Beerjeezus said:

Tbh yeah if I was a billionaire I'd do good in Billie's name to make disappointed Green Day fans feel better.

(Then Bill Schneider would log on just to tell us Green Day would never do good stuff, please quit with that bullshit)

I was going more with "A friend of the people who started the GFM to get free publicity for the campaign" but that's because I don't believe the "Denny's rented us the restaurant story" to begin with, but whatever 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mar said:

I was going more with "A friend of the people who started the GFM to get free publicity for the campaign" but that's because I don't believe the "Denny's rented us the restaurant story" to begin with, but whatever 🤷‍♂️ 

Oh, that's possible, although I'd worry that the massive fake donation might discourage other donors.

13 hours ago, Mar said:

Why would GD and Billie share the story then? And among the donors there’s also other people close to the band. Reading the comments of people who were there on social media, including the kid who organized this and the band that played, I don’t see any reason to doubt this is legit :) 
And I think regardless of how much money the restaurant wanted to have back, the point of the action is to contribute and give back to the DIY scene, in order to make possible to organize more shows like that. Which is awesome anyway. Considering also the vast support and appreciation this kid received, I don’t see how this can be a scam at all :) 

• Like 4

The only thing that makes me sad about it is that he had to do it at Denny's. Aren't there bars/pubs/other places more suitable for a punk show?

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

The only thing that makes me sad about it is that he had to do it at Denny's. Aren't there bars/pubs/other places more suitable for a punk show?

I’m guessing Denny’s was in his budget. They only charged him $100 to rent the room and he’s a 17 yr old kid and it would be all ages this way. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DadBod said:

I’m guessing Denny’s was in his budget. They only charged him $100 to rent the room and he’s a 17 yr old kid and it would be all ages this way. 

Yeah true, I didn't think of the US being stricter with letting underage people into places, plus doing a show in Denny's is pretty awesome anyway. :P

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yeah true, I didn't think of the US being stricter with letting underage people into places, plus doing a show in Denny's is pretty awesome anyway. :P

And to add to the awesomeness, when they got kicked out, they continued the party under a bridge or something like that, these kids deserves even more money 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

And to add to the awesomeness, when they got kicked out, they continued the party under a bridge or something like that, these kids deserves even more money 😂

10/10 party, would attend :lol:

• Haha 1