Random Green Day News

Hermione

8 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

Were people arguing that? That seems absurd. Even if they were suddenly running tight on funds I'm sure Billie could sell his boat or something and they'd be all set. 

Thank you I just imagined Billie as the owner of Titanic.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

Were people arguing that? That seems absurd. Even if they were suddenly running tight on funds I'm sure Billie could sell his boat or something and they'd be all set. 

Not in recent years, no. But when the discussion about a possible live album was brought up a few years ago after the 99 revolutions tour, people said ''it might be too much effort'' (financially) to do it, because you'd have to hire all that audio personal etc. Well, I'm sure they now have more than enough money to produce even the most ambitious of live records, plus another huge concept album and then go on another world tour with massively overblown production (like 21st Century Breakdown Tour) and still have tons of money to spare at the end. If they wanted to do so, that is...

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 10:58 PM, MillenniumFan said:

Not in recent years, no. But when the discussion about a possible live album was brought up a few years ago after the 99 revolutions tour, people said ''it might be too much effort'' (financially) to do it, because you'd have to hire all that audio personal etc. Well, I'm sure they now have more than enough money to produce even the most ambitious of live records, plus another huge concept album and then go on another world tour with massively overblown production (like 21st Century Breakdown Tour) and still have tons of money to spare at the end. If they wanted to do so, that is...

I don't think it's so much about whether they have the money to make it as whether they'd make enough profit (whether directly through sales or through the extra promotion of the band it gives) for it to be worthwhile doing it. They don't put out live albums as a gift, it's done to make money. If it's not a profitable move to make for the band and the record label and everyone involved it won't be done, if it is it will be.

46 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I don't think it's so much about whether they have the money to make it as whether they'd make enough profit (whether directly through sales or through the extra promotion of the band it gives) for it to be worthwhile doing it. They don't put out live albums as a gift, it's done to make money. If it's not a profitable move to make for the band and the record label and everyone involved it won't be done, if it is it will be.

True, but that isn't a great argument either, because a live album would easily pay for itself, especially since a lot / most on this forum said they'd be fine with or actually prefer a less thoroughly produced live album (BIAB: overcomplicated / highly produced / expensive visuals ; AAF: both audio and visuals heavily edited / produced). But even with slightly elevated costs for production, I highly doubt it wouldn't make them enough profit, as long as they don't go overboard with the advertising budget (which if social media is used efficiently isn't too difficult).

23 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

True, but that isn't a great argument either, because a live album would easily pay for itself, especially since a lot / most on this forum said they'd be fine with or actually prefer a less thoroughly produced live album (BIAB: overcomplicated / highly produced / expensive visuals ; AAF: both audio and visuals heavily edited / produced). But even with slightly elevated costs for production, I highly doubt it wouldn't make them enough profit, as long as they don't go overboard with the advertising budget (which if social media is used efficiently isn't too difficult).

They have to decide all the time whether doing something will be profitable enough and good enough for the band's image/standing to be worth doing. Whether to release a live album or not is just another one. It's not just whether it'll turn any profit, it's the timing in terms of marketing and whether it's better to keep promoting the previous tour with a live release or leave it and let the next album be the next thing. Sure it would be possible to release one after every tour if the band especially wanted to but otherwise it's a business and marketing decision with many different factors deciding whether it's a good idea.

• Like 1

Boulevard of Broken Dreams has overtaken 21 Guns as the most watched GD video on YouTube. 

BOBD has 197.7m views to 21 Guns 197.5m. 

• Like 2

When I looked at the views on friday and reported here, the views displayed were already higher, but the video was still placed beneath 21 Guns when sorted ''most popular'' on YouTube for some reason. However, it seems to have finally flipped now. This really is significant, as 21 Guns video is the 5th oldest video on their channel and held the spot as most watched video for over 8 years. This also means BOBD will be the first video on their channel to hit 200 million views in a few weeks. Even more impressive if you consider that BOBD reached this number of views in just over 5 years, 3+ years fewer than 21 Guns.

Netflix and Amazon Prime just added new Green Day documentaries. These are three critical reviews one for 1,000 hours to Kerplunk, another for Dookie and a third for American Idiot. Haven’t seen them yet I just added them to my watchlist.

• Like 2

Ok, I’d be interested to see that, though I don’t have Netflix sadly, so I’ll have to see if it somehow makes its way onto the likes of YouTube...

36 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Netflix and Amazon Prime just added new Green Day documentaries. These are three critical reviews one for 1,000 hours to Kerplunk, another for Dookie and a third for American Idiot. Haven’t seen them yet I just added them to my watchlist.

Is one of those this one? Got that on DVD years ago and just watched it a while ago. It's basically a long interview with Larry Livermore mixed with some old pictures and live recordings from the early years, but no interviews with the boys or something. But it's still so nice to see how it all started and I like to hear Larry talk, he has such a nice voice. I don't have the other two parts tho.

51P5-LN-wiL._SY445_.jpg

• Like 3

UK here - they are not on my Netflix so that may be US only but I can see them on Amazon Prime. 

Really? I just checked what was new on Amazon and didn't see those. I'll have to check them out! 

1 hour ago, Thatsername said:

Is one of those this one? Got that on DVD years ago and just watched it a while ago. It's basically a long interview with Larry Livermore mixed with some old pictures and live recordings from the early years, but no interviews with the boys or something. But it's still so nice to see how it all started and I like to hear Larry talk, he has such a nice voice. I don't have the other two parts tho.

Yes that’s the one. They are also available on DVD but new to streaming.

14 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Really? I just checked what was new on Amazon and didn't see those. I'll have to check them out! 

I did a search for Green Day in my Prime Video app and found them.

48 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Looks like there was a ultra secret super private show recently

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155759362673961&id=223058598960

It wasn't a private show. Tré Cool yesterday was guest of the "Balvenie Raw Craft" meeting held in Rancho Mirage :) he played a drum built from 'The Balvenie' barrels

• Like 1

Academia Galega do Audiovisual has announced that Green Day's 'Troubled Times' has been nominated for the upcoming Mestre Mateo Premios in the 'Best Video' category. The clip was direct, written and designed by Manu Viqueira. Nominated in the same category also:
- Como Gala and Dalí (Jorge Casal)
- Días y días (Delafé)
- Todos los gallegos (Fernando Tato and Los Animales)

https://www.academiagalegadoaudiovisual.gal/a-longametraxe-dhogs-acapara-17-candidaturas-nos-mestre-mateo/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WorryRock02 said:

It wasn't a private show. Tré Cool yesterday was guest of the "Balvenie Raw Craft" meeting held in Rancho Mirage :) he played a drum built from 'The Balvenie' barrels

Thank you! 

3 hours ago, WorryRock02 said:

It’s funny to me that someone would refer to Tre as “Green Day” in an Instagram post. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WorryRock02 said:

Academia Galega do Audiovisual has announced that Green Day's 'Troubled Times' has been nominated for the upcoming Mestre Mateo Premios in the 'Best Video' category. The clip was direct, written and designed by Manu Viqueira. Nominated in the same category also:
- Como Gala and Dalí (Jorge Casal)
- Días y días (Delafé)
- Todos los gallegos (Fernando Tato and Los Animales)

http://www.farodevigo.es/portada-deza-tabeiros-montes/2018/02/08/videoclip-lucas-terceiro-fernando-tato/1834114.html

Can someone translate the article? We know so little about how that video was made.

eta: or are they talking about the lyric video?

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Can someone translate the article? We know so little about how that video was made.

eta: or are they talking about the lyric video?

Yeah, it's the lyric video. I wish we knew more about the other video though. That was an absolute mystery and I'm still so wiggered about it.

• Like 1

So the headliners for Reading & Leeds were announced yesterday and while this isn't really Green Day news, it's comforting to us rock fans that this seems to be a large part of the reaction:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/918319/Reading-Leeds-Festival-line-up-outrage-Arctic-Monkeys-absent

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/15990084.READING_FESTIVAL_LINE_UP__Fans_react_to_announcement__and_not_all_of_them_are_happy_/

I saw a headline today that people who had already bought their tickets (this festival is a very big deal in the UK music world) are now selling them for 17p!  We are not alone!

• Like 1

This year's line-up does not intrigue me at all. Sum 41 is the only act I would like to see, which is a shame because this was the first year that I was actually considering going to Leeds.:( And Dua Lipa.:sick: They haven't had a decent line-up since 2015 imo.

Man, I really hope GD do it within the next few years. I need them to play some kind of festival/show in Britain that I can actually get to, or there's actually no point in me being alive.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day News