What is your favorite Green Day B-side track?

The Peacemaker567

Ha Ha You're Dead isn't a B-side though. It's the only new track from Shenanigans

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta say Favorite Son, it beats most of their singles on my ranking of favourite Green Day songs.  Too much too soon really isn't far behind at all though.  I love the pace of Favorite son, it comes in fast from the beginning and flows beautifully, only letting up a little on the bridge.  To me it seems like post-AI Green Day doing a pre-AI, faster and shorter song.  It's got a good tune and a simple and heavy guitar part.  Can't sit still when I'm listening to it.  I wish they'd play it live, that would be a dream come true.  

Too much too soon is a definite second favourite; I'm a big fan of the tune and general arrangement of the song, and it also has personal meaning for me (especially in the AI musical context of the song).  The bass sounds really good on it, maybe even the best AI-era bass part after holiday.  Also, I love the 'FUCK YOU' bit (although I did once sing that on the train without thinking and got a disapproving look from an old lady).

27 minutes ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

Desensitized and yeah I love the beginning where someone sounds like they are going crazy and totally loosing their mind. Great song.

Wasn't Mike credited for doing that?  I believe the instrument was a baseball bat :P 

I think I'll have to go with Haha You're Dead, closely followed by Hearts Collide. They're just so much fun and energetic. 

J.A.R. is the best, easily, by a landslide.  I was there in 1995 when it came out.  It made me see Angus in the theater (really good movie though regardless!).

I'd have to say Suffocate, Desensitized, and JAR. reasons: they're great songs and also nostalgic for me

Rotting and you lied , in fact they're some of my favourite green day songs in general 

I think Desensitised, Suffocate and Rotting should've made it onto Nimrod in place of some of the weaker tracks on that album- all awesome songs. God, Nimrod was such a great era! Love the moment Mike's bass comes in on the second verse of Desensitised.

However, my favorite b-side is probably Do Da Da. Simple but perfect.

From the more recent b-sides I'd go for Hearts Collide (amazing vocal harmonies) or Favorite Son.

Really don't get the love for Too Much Too Soon- too much generic pop punk for me (a bit like You Lied), although I do actually quite like the musical version.....

Scumbag is a great song. I also like the "Unmastered" version of 409 In Your Coffee Maker, if it counts.
Honestly, the whole tracklist in Shenanigans is very solid and I like it as a whole.

Yes, the beginning of Desensitized is Mike smashing things with a bat, that's why Mike is credited with a "baseball bat" inside the Nimrod cover. Desensitized was recorded during the Nimrod sessions. My favorite B-Side is "Lights Out". I don't know why. It seems like a mysterious song to me.

For anyone that cares or is wondering, here are where all the B-Sides came from. This info comes from interviews and reading the individual credits for each song on the CDs they came on. I didn't include Maria, Poprocks, or Ha Ha...

Dookie Session Non-Album Tracks:

On The Wagon

Tired of Waiting For You (Kinks cover)

409 In Your Coffeemaker (Re-recording)

J.A.R.

-

Insomniac Session Non-Album Tracks:

I Want To Be On TV (Fang cover)

Don't Wanna Fall In Love

Do Da Da

Good Riddance (Original Version)

You Lied (Released as Nimrod B-Side)

Rotting (Released as Nimrod B-Side)

-

Nimrod Session Non-Album Tracks:

Desensitized

Suffocate

-

Nimrod B-Side Sessions (Separate from the actual album sessions):

Espionage

Sick Of Me

D.U.I.

-

Warning B-Side Sessions (not recorded during the actual album sessions):

Outsider (Ramones cover)

Scumbag

Maria (Original version)

(Ha Ha You're Dead may have come from this session, same studio)

-

"Studio 880" Sessions (songs recorded prior to American Idiot at what is now Jingletown Studios):

I Fought The Law (old cover based on The Clash's version, iTunes single)

Governator

Lights Out (Released as 21st Century Breakdown B-Side)

Hearts Collide ((Released as 21st Century Breakdown B-Side)

-

Rock Mafia Sessions (Recorded with the "Rock Mafia" production team, may be related to Cigarettes & Valentines):

Too Much To Soon

Shoplifter

-

American Idiot Session Non-Album Tracks:

Favorite Son

When It's Time

-

Jingletown Studios Cover Sessions (Recorded prior to 21CBD Sessions, released as 21CBD B-Sides and on compilations)

The Simpsons Theme (Released on Simpsons movie soundtrack)

Working Class Hero (John Lennon cover) (Released on "Instant Karma" Compilation)

A Quick One While He's Away (The Who cover)

Another State of Mind (Social Distortion cover)

Like A Rolling Stone (Bob Dylan cover)

That's Alright Mama (Elvis Presley cover)

Archived