Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

26 minutes ago, Slave To The Network said:

I wouldn't mind an answer to this question either. For research... :shifty:

Yes, I know there are plenty of pics of TN on GDA, but I don't think they are HQ.

Plenty of them are HQ...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Liam said:

Plenty of them are HQ...

I guess a lot of the group shots are, but not specifically solo ones of Fink.

• Like 1

Are there any known videos of the mixing/EQing of the guitars in their songs? So far I only found one about the mixing of the drums in Bang Bang 🤔

• Like 2

I'm looking for a higher quality video of an interview GD did in Australia in 2009. I'm not sure about the specifics of what outfit did the interview, but if there's anyone who can point me in the right direction, here's a screenshot of said interview to help with identification.

HCDkELB.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jengd said:

This one, great interview but agreed, quality is poor.

you took me down a rabbit hole of some great interviews from 2009, this one is hilarious and relevant, “it’s not our song, but a song called hungry hungry models” 

Top five Mike injuries 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am thinking about starting a Green Day series on YouTube.  

Do you guys have ideas or suggestions for things about Green Day that you haven't been able to find already?

My first idea is to go in depth on Chris Dugan, as not many people know about him or what he does. 

• Like 1

I am going to make some fake Billie Joe interviews with me asking him ridiculous questions and him giving me non sequitur answers.  

And while you will be free to complain in the comments, there will be absolutely nothing you can do about the video being stupid long, and also stupid.

I may fake an interview with Van Gough as well.  With all his answers in the form of song.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, That Dude said:

I am going to make some fake Billie Joe interviews with me asking him ridiculous questions and him giving me non sequitur answers.  

And while you will be free to complain in the comments, there will be absolutely nothing you can do about the video being stupid long, and also stupid.

I may fake an interview with Van Gough as well.  With all his answers in the form of song.

Would love to see that! Weird Al Jankovic did the same thing with some artist.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Oh yeah, those are so good! Definitely going to be influenced by those.  He did eminem and some others.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jengd said:

you took me down a rabbit hole of some great interviews from 2009, this one is hilarious and relevant, “it’s not our song, but a song called hungry hungry models” 

Oh, I have the interview on my computer. ;) Was just looking for better quality for... research. :shifty:

And I've always loved that Billie quote. He says it so nonchalantly, like of course it's not their song.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Slave To The Network said:

Oh, I have the interview on my computer. ;) Was just looking for better quality for... research. :shifty:

And I've always loved that Billie quote. He says it so nonchalantly, like of course it's not their song.

Ah yes the ....research. I've been spending the entire year researching a certain industrial icon so I very much understand the materials you need for....research. 😏

• Haha 2

On 11/24/2020 at 2:42 AM, jengd said:

Saying Breakdown is better than anything they've ever done.   100 songs written (we could have had a Breakdown Trilogy, darn it Butch!!!)

What a cool interview.

On 11/24/2020 at 2:42 AM, jengd said:

Billie Joe has one of those WRONG copies of Money Money 2020.    

It's called "Hungry Hungry".  Come on, Billie Joe.

Does anyone knows if one of those unreleased Green Day song is actually another song on one of their album OR side project? I know some of them has been played during soundcheck before some shows.

2012- Can’t Believe My Own Eyes supposed to be in Trilogy
2000- Clusterhand supposed to be in Warning
2010- Dream Catcher supposed to be in Trilogy
1997- DUI supposed to be in Nimrod
2011- Gabriella supposed to be in Trilogy
2012- Hard Times supposed to be in Trilogy
2012- Hello Firecracker supposed to be in Trilogy
2013- Heroin Pop I supposed to be N/A
2013- Heroin Pop II supposed to be N/A
2007- Highway 1 supposed to be in Drop Rock And Roll
2012- Hot Foot Jamboree supposed to be in Trilogy
2012- I’m Alright supposed to be in Trilogy
1989- Jennifer (aka Future Old Son) supposed to be in 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours
2013- Kill Whitey supposed to be in N/A
2002- Life During War Time supposed to be in N/A   (but I guess Graffitia??)
2012- Life Is So Plain supposed to be in Trilogy
1989- Maybe Forever supposed to be in 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours
2002- Minnesota Girl supposed to be N/A
2013- Mutron Jam supposed to be N/A
2010- Oh Girl supposed to be in Trilogy
2009- Olivia supposed to be in 21st Century Breakdown
2012- Ready To Go Home supposed to be in Trilogy
2012- Ruby Mae supposed to be in Trilogy
2012- Satellite supposed to be in Trilogy
2000- Sleepyhead supposed to be in Warning
1989- Stay (aka World Vs. World aka What About Today) supposed to be in 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours
2002- Things I Heard Today supposed to be N/A
2000- Wasteaway supposed to be in Warning
2009- Wonderful supposed to be in 21st Century Breakdown 
1990- You Can't Fool Me supposed to be in 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours 

• Love 1

Highway 1 is out as Foxboro Hot Tubs, Dreamcatcher was used in These Paper Bullets, Clusterbomb is rumored to be an early version of Letterbomb, Hotfoot Jamboree and Ruby Mae are instrumentals used in Cuatro, Things I Heard Today was one of the phone messages, DUI was taken out of Shenanigans, but is available online.

• Like 1

Why would you organize them alphabetically and not by year. That bothers me :mellow: Also, What About Today is a completely different song from Stay. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Todd said:

Why would you organize them alphabetically and not by year. That bothers me :mellow: 

Sorry?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Does anyone knows if one of those unreleased Green Day song is actually another song on one of their album OR side project? I know some of them has been played during soundcheck before some shows.

Clusterbomb

technically we don't know that the Clusterbomb from Warning was the same song later recorded for American Idiot and renamed to Letterbomb. Could just be a reused title for a different song. Though it's a safe bet, obviously. On that assumption, it also likely had a place on C&V.

In my opinion it's really hard to make Letterbomb, as it is, fit Warning's style without significant modification. Its nonstandard structure suits it as a piece of a concept album/rock opera, it doesn't make a lot of sense musically as a standalone track. Not to mention the lyrics directly referencing other AI tracks. Even if it came from the earlier idea, I'd say it must have been very different. Just my opinion tho.

Dreamcatcher

- Later used for These Paper Bullets. More likely a 21CBD outtake than something that was "supposed" to be on anything, but we really don't know.

You Can't Fool Me

- Played as Sweet Children and it's confirmed that no studio recording/demo ever existed, so not supposed to be on any album. Just a song they played live a couple times.

Stay

- Written for a movie Billie's brother was making, and demoed as Sweet Children. So likely supposed to be on 1000 Hours if anything. Also like Todd said What About Today is a phone message song but, yes, we did call it by that name and "World vs World" before we knew it was called Stay. Very clearly just a mixup that caught on somehow though, since the phone message song is called such because "what about today" is the only intelligible lyric : )

To make it even weirder, the most popular video on Youtube for the actual What About Today is presently under the name "Puchyak Fuck". Which came out of absolutely nowhere. The uploader posted it on reddit, someone said "I think this song has a different name" and the uploader then says "oh yes - it's actually called puchyak fuck. i found this after some extensive digging on forums" and changed the title of the video. This makes no fucking sense because the only information about this song that exists is the song itself, and the date it was uploaded to greenday.com. We call it "what about today" because that's the only lyric we can understand. It literally can't have any other title.

On a hunch I tried to transliterate the word "puchyak" to cyrillic and google that and learned it's an uncommon russian word (possibly a declension?) meaning "puff". This explains precisely nothing.

Life During Wartime

- This is a Pinhead Gunpowder song that Billie played solo on radio once.

Oh Girl/Olivia

- Like Dreamcatcher, more likely 21CBD outtakes than anything. "Supposed to be" is kind of a loaded term. Nothing was "supposed" to be on the trilogy because the trilogy wasn't "supposed" to exist. It was just them being like "hey we have a ton of stuff written, let's just get it all out there at once". Same thing for anything "supposed" to be on 1039 - they probably didn't know if they'd ever record an album at all at that the time they were playing those songs live.

Things I Heard Today/What About Today/Minnesota Girl

- Based on timeline alone, we could speculate these had a place on C&V. 100% speculation, but in terms of likelihood I give them a third place spot after songs that were literally confirmed (title track, too much too soon, dropout, wasteaway, etc.) and Clusterbomb (which existed directly before and directly after).

Those are just the ones that stuck out to me as having glaring errors (and stupid technicalities I wanted to point out cause it's fun trivia). Tbh your whole list is incredibly incomplete and in general fucky. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 4:38 PM, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I have some Billie Joe clips I am working with now.  

In one, he laughs.

In another he says "young and restless"

And the third he says "I try to do that all the time".  

Those are the punchlines, now I just have to come up with questions that would make those hilarious.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:28 AM, That Dude said:

Billie Joe has one of those WRONG copies of Money Money 2020.    

It's called "Hungry Hungry".  Come on, Billie Joe.

Maybe if he calls it like that (not saying he knows much about Network's songs) it's because that it's the actual title 😅

It could've been a mistake on the pressing, you know like Stuck With Me/Do Da Da... just saying.

• Like 1