07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have listened to the song once, and it may be my favorite thing that green day has ever done. I was in tears in the bathroom at work. The sound, Billie's vocals, the lyrics...they all just hit me.

My internet is way too slow for this right now so I might as well just wait for the complete album... I'm very curious about this, people seem to either love it or hate it. I must admit I've felt very sceptical about this song ever since I saw the title, it just sounds so damn cliched. The lyrics could have been worse but I'm not too impressed either. But they make sense and no line looks outright cringey. The music either makes it better or super corny. I'm not sure I'll dare listen to it.

1 minute ago, lucky_stars said:

Also on the 5th listen it the lyric "my head's above the rain and roses" finally it me hard. Billie could be in a fucking grave right now... no wonder he felt compelled to write the song about Amy Winehouse. Gives me the goosebumps, guys...

Thank you!  I wasn't understanding the roses part but you nailed it.   

Just now, StuckWithDom said:

Can someone explain what this Red Triangle business is? Where did people find this out? 

REd Triangle is a company that writes songs for various people.  They write for The Struts, whom I love.  But they also write for 5SOS and 1D.  They are a british writing team.  Apparently they ahve writing credits on this song 

Kinda reminds me of Give Me Novacaine on the chorus

it really is not what I was expecting from this song, cool to hear and all, but it doesn't seen to fit on a record that has RR and BB on it

Finally listened to the full song (twice), and I'm a hot mess pretending not to be a hot mess at work. :lol:

The beginning and the bridge will take getting used to—it is very Blink-y, which isn't a bad thing, just very different for them. It sounds more Blink than Green Day, instrumentally speaking. But I am IN LOVE with Billie's vocals in this, and that combined with his lyrics make it markedly a Green Day song. This song contains so much emotion in its simplicity that it's utterly breathtaking. I can imagine screaming this at the top of my lungs in concert with him, feeling so proud and overwhelmed and lucky to be alive at the same time these dudes are. 

So yes, very different for them. Hearing the full song makes that clear. But some of my favorite songs from them are "different" for them. Green Day doesn't even play by their own rules, and I love that. Nothing is off limits completely for them. 

For all the people asking/talking about red triangle: they are a songwriting/production company who are involved with more 'poppy' artists than Green Day.  They have been credited as co-writers for this song.  It is likely that their credit stems not from Billie writing to them and saying "Hey, I cba to write anymore, you do it for me", but rather from him hearing a song written by them, sampling it (taking key parts eg melody) and adapting the rest to fit a Green Day song.  They need to be credited for legal reasons, as they had the original idea without which the song could not have been created.  It does not mean they wrote the whole song, it does not mean it is not personal to the band - it is likely they were a source of inspiration who are being rightly credited in line with copyright law.  @StuckWithDom @Harry Potter. (sorry I'm having trouble quoting).

Third listen and I'm crying. This is something special, man. I am so glad Billie decided to share something this personal with us.

6 minutes ago, lucky_stars said:

Also on the 5th listen it the lyric "my head's above the rain and roses" finally it me hard. Billie could be in a fucking grave right now... no wonder he felt compelled to write the song about Amy Winehouse. Gives me the goosebumps, guys...

I think that's one of the loveliest, most powerful lines he has ever written. Thank you for that explanation. 

12 minutes ago, greendepent said:

Aw, man, where is the supersolo? Damn, that ruins the song for me :lol:

2:45 - 2:57.  

Wow, I'm pretty impressed. I love it! At first, it distracted me a little because I think it sounds very different to what Green Day has done before. But it's absolutely great. It somehow establishes a grand feeling deep inside of me I cannot describe with words. Very emotional, personal song.

War by Sum 41 and Still Breathing by Green Day both have a great message. Both Deryck and Billie had problems with addiction.

To me, this sounds like something they've never done, which is pretty awesome! I can't really think of another Green Day song that sounds anything like this! Will be interesting to see the reaction when and if the lyric video gets released. 🙂

1 minute ago, Second favourite son said:

For all the people asking/talking about red triangle: they are a songwriting/production company who are involved with more 'poppy' artists than Green Day.  It is likely that their credit stems not from Billie writing to them and saying "Hey, I cba to write anymore, you do it for me", but rather from him hearing a song written by them, sampling it (taking key parts eg melody) and adapting the rest to fit a Green Day song.  They need to be credited for legal reasons, as they had the original idea without which the song could not have been created.  It does not mean they wrote the whole song, it does not mean it is not personal to the band - it is likely they were asource of inspiration who are being rightly credited in line with copyright law.  @StuckWithDom @Harry Potter. (sorry I'm having trouble quoting.

I mean they've done it before so I don't get the panic/"disappointment". I think it's cool that they do that the odd time - like you can go and check out the song that was an inspiration for another.

so the big question is, who is the "you" that Billie is making his way to?   Adrienne?  The GDC?  Or the Bookmobile?

Just now, zeebodaclown said:

so the big question is, who is the "you" that Billie is making his way to?   Adrienne?  The GDC?  Or the Bookmobile?

The listener? :happy:

MY LOVE  MY LOVE  MY LOVE

They keep me warm :happy:

This is the top 5 poppiest thing GD has ever done and I can't wait to see how many people it pisses off. 

7 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

The listener? :happy:

See...I'm not convinced.  

He's "shining a light into the wreckage", which to me means the Bookmobile is in the bottom of the San Francisco Bay...and he's "still breathing on my own" because he refuses to use scuba gear to retrieve it....because he's a badass

This doesn't have that "4 guys in the studio" "let's just be green day" vibe in my opinion. I've listened 3 or 4 times now and it hasn't grown on me just yet. I bet this song will be a lot better live though.

Man.  I really need to stop listening to it and posting about it and go eat breakfast and live and stuff.   The dog needs to go out and things need to be done.    Hopefully when I come back another song will be leaked.......my hunch about Still Breathing was right.    I need me some Somewhere Now right now!  I think that tracks going to blow me away like this one does!    and Outlaws too.   Heck, i think RevRad is going to blow us all away.    

BANG BANG 

okay, for real.  I'm hungry.   Gotta Go.  

Archived