07 - Still Breathing

Steven Seagull

10 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

@CrimsonArk Verbal warning.  Differences in opinion are fine, abusing other members is not.  If you continue you risk being suspended.

He literally just insulted people himself lol

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to keep listening because everyone here seems to love it (making them cry), so maybe I'm just missing something? 

I mean, I loved "Oh Love" when it came out and most people hated it, so I guess I'm in the opposite camp now :/

18 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Great contribution to the discussion. I mean, I've seen you post nothing but criticism of all three songs that have been released...which is fine if you offered ANYTHING to support your opinions. I would gladly listen to and consider any valid criticisms or points that people make. However, when you just act like a total fucking fuckwit and post nonsensical bullshit like, "this sucks" then it's hard to take you seriously.

Also, that's a general "you" for people that are posting similar stuff, not a "you" meaning you and you alone.

I have yet to see anyone come in here and say something along the lines of "this song sucks". Generally, the people who dislike it also post a fairly decent reason as to why that is the case. 

Also, what the fuck are you talking about? I almost always back my opinions up with reason lol

Either you have a poor memory or you're just straight up lying in order to justify your post. 

Now this shit right here is insulting lol

Someone posted it on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvlZINJZNhc

I fucking love it... Damn it... Possibly one of my favorite slower Green Day songs of all time, while still maintaining an epic punk sound. It sounds like a cross between something from 21st Century Breakdown and Uno. I can't wait to hear this one live.

3 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I am going to keep listening because everyone here seems to love it (making them cry), so maybe I'm just missing something? 

I mean, I loved "Oh Love" when it came out and most people hated it, so I guess I'm in the opposite camp now :/

You're not. This is clearly the most polarizing song they've released so far. And something Green Day related even approaching polarization in here is pretty significant lol 

6 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Like you said, everyone has their own personal tastes and opinions. I love this song because of how raw, personal and emotional it is. I like the instrumentals, but the lyrics and the emotions in Billie's voice is what made this song for me. Just because you're not a fan of it doesn't mean you're wrong - maybe it just doesn't resonate with you in the way it does with other people.

Still Breathing sounds so beautiful after you listen to Lazy Bones, I mean the message, first you have this guy feeling all shitty about his life and hating everything and everyone, and now we have the same guy being happy that he's still breathing and alive, making his way to life in the best way he can, and I couldn't be happier about that, even more cause that guy is so impotant to me and that is why I love this song. This one it's gonna be so emotional to hear live, I really hope they play it. 

Just now, Khaleesi. said:

Like you said, everyone has their own personal tastes and opinions. I love this song because of how raw, personal and emotional it is. I like the instrumentals,, but the lyrics and the emotions in Billie's voice is what made this song for me.

Definitely, the genuinely honest sounding lyrics really pull the whole song together. :)

7 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

You might not be missing anything—maybe you just don't like it. It might grow on you, it might not. How people feel about music is very personal and emotional, so if it doesn't click with you but it clicks with a lot of other people, that doesn't make it wrong. 

For me, lyrically it gets under my skin. The way he is practically yelling some of the lyrics and sounds so raw hits me. And the fact that their experimenting with a sound they haven't done before is something I really admire. That doesn't make my opinion right, either, but that's why it is impactful for me.

God I love this song, I love when Billie has that sort of monotone - sorry don't know a better way of putting it - and the vocals are so clear.  I am bouncing around the house to this but I have got to say there is a teeny bit of the boyband about some bits of it, which is weird as I am a very serious bandboy hater, but this is great and could be a monster hit.  Love the lyrics, regardless of what's been said by the band it totally feels like the rehab song we have been half expecting, very emotional. Love it, love it, love it, these great songs keep coming!

19 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Well first of all, sometimes songs just don't jell with people. I just feel like the song is made up of things I've heard before. The verses don't really stick out to me as much as most other GD songs. The chorus sounds like a combination of a lot of other Simple Plan/All Time Low songs I've heard. The guitar in the background is the exact same tone and progression as "Who Knew" by Pink. The "woahs woahs" sounds like the ones from blink's California. Idk man, it's not what I was hoping for from GD and it just doesn't pop out to me.

Thank you. I at least understand where you're coming from now. I disagree with most of what you said, but can at least somewhat realize why you have those beliefs. I personally do not hear the similarities that you mentioned, but I usually don't unless something is a note for note rip off. I think that, lyrically, this could be the best thing Billie has ever written and I think his voice is stellar in it.

The chorus is basically saying "I'm not a vegetable yet"

Spoiler

Just joking :P

Just now, Ryan said:

I think that, lyrically, this could be the best thing Billie has ever written

Really? Ugh I disagree there too. It may be one of the most personal songs he's written, but lyrically he's written some masterpieces and unique songs, and this kind of pales in comparison to them.

Just now, Steven Seagull said:

The chorus is basically saying "I'm not a vegetable yet"

Hide contents

Just joking :P

Oh man, I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out! :lol: It's clearly a song about being vegan haha 

The verse sounds like owl city feat. Green Day
The chorus sounds like another hearts collide to me
I like that it's different from recent Green Day
Billies vocals are life
The lyrics are everything
I don't care that it's poppy
I love this thing

I really didn't think GD had much left in the tank with what we were given from the trilogy...but wow these first four songs we have already put this album above all the rest IMO. 21st century was a polished book, the trilogy was everywhere....but this just seems unreal

8 minutes ago, Mara Garcia Green Day said:

Still Breathing sounds so beautiful after you listen to Lazy Bones, I mean the message, first you have this guy feeling all shitty about his life and hating everything and everyone, and now we have the same guy being happy that he's still breathing and alive, making his way to life in the best way he can, and I couldn't be happier about that, even more cause that guy is so impotant to me and that is why I love this song. This one it's gonna be so emotional to hear live, I really hope they play it. 

Nice catch - yeah, seems to bookend well with Lazy Bones.  Gonna give them both a listen back to back and see if the feels hit me differently.

Pros: vocals, guitars, and the "taking it all in" empty space.  The vocals particularly - there's clarity and passion in there, all ace.  cons: I'm not really feeling the lyrics at this point after 3+ listens.  There's a cliche in the lyrics that doesn't sit well with me overlaid against a basic pop song structure and my first reaction is "whoa, sorry your life sucked so bad, dude".  But at least the song definitely doesn't grate on me like Wild Thing did (and still does).  B+ at this point, as opposed to Bang Bang which I give an A+ and RevRad which gets an A.

43 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

The fact that me saying I'm not a huge fan of a song leads to insults and disrespectful sarcasm is pretty low. Seriously, I have an opinion. Accept it.

Not sure if you meant me but it wasn't the fact you said you weren't a fan of the song, it was the other stuff like its not a song Billie would write and insinuating that someone else wrote some of it and all that stuff. It's perfectly okay to not like the song! I'm not crazy about it yet, though I do really like the lyrics. 

38 minutes ago, Dakke said:

It is indeed poppier, a poppier version of Maria, which resembles it most I think. Now, lyrically, it is 100% Billie, albeit adapted to a different melody. I guess he wanted it to have a different sound compared to BoBD and 21 Guns.

I'm not a huge fan of 21 Guns because it sounded a bit too similar to BOBD for me without the elements that I really love about BOBD (it's hard to describe!). I do really like that they broke the mould with this song. It has a similar kind of feel as those songs but it's definitely different. 

Just now, Jenn. said:

Not sure if you meant me but it wasn't the fact you said you weren't a fan of the song, it was the other stuff like its not a song Billie would write and insinuating that someone else wrote some of it and all that stuff. It's perfectly okay to not like the song! I'm not crazy about it yet, though I do really like the lyrics. 

Well it was co-written, so someone else could have helped write it. That's what I was saying.

Well it was co-written, so someone else could have helped write it. That's what I was saying.

Whats wrong with having songs co-written?

Just now, Eric said:

Whats wrong with having songs co-written?

Nothing? I was just saying that you can hear the influence. Why are you taking every observation as a personal insult?

Nothing? I was just saying that you can hear the influence. Why are you taking every observation as a personal insult?

I just asked, calm down.

Archived