01 - Somewhere Now

Lone

This has become my favourite Green Day song. It's perfect and beautiful and has come along at a time where I deeply related to it. I turn it on every morning and it's just wonderful :wub:. Can't express enough love for it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

Oh, now that I know English is your second language, I was just being benign. A debate is certainly a discussion but a discussion is not necessarily a debate. A debate has a more advisarial conontation as opposed to a friendly discussion of the lyrics or whatever thing.

Couldn't agree more! Can I ask how you relate to it? 

I don't separate this song from FN because The Nows share a narrative and a character.

My favorite too both for music and lyrics.

Just made a positive change recently and feel like I'm in a better place in my life. It's great to hear "I found myself somewhere now" and totally feel the same.

And yeah they're an amazing pair! This is favourite of the two though.

1 hour ago, crock6000 said:

Oh, now that I know English is your second language, I was just being benign. A debate is certainly a discussion but a discussion is not necessarily a debate. A debate has a more advisarial conontation as opposed to a friendly discussion of the lyrics or whatever thing.

This was actually eye-opening. :lol:Another non-native speaker here and I never thought there was any difference but it makes sense now when you explained it. I thought the two were interchangeable just like Ellen did. 

12 hours ago, crock6000 said:

Well great. While you guys are learning because I had no idea that EITHER of you had English as a second language, I am feeling dumber because I think you both write better than me (or I?) Hahaha.

Reminds me of a thing my brother once said to me. My very intellectual brother when I once said "Me and Sean are going to the mall" and being my older brother and always correcting me he said "Me, can NEVER be the first word in a sentence".  I said "Yeah, how about the one you just said?".

I think that was the only time I ever burned my brother on language as he is a professional lawyer and words are his profession.  

Back on the off topic (ha), what is really eye opening here Ms. Lannister is the fact that I had ZERO fucking idea that English is not either of yours' first language.  SMH at myself.

Actually there's an interesting fact :D Me, Jane and Marki - we are all from The Czech Republic, which is funny, but we haven't met each other yet :) And please note that I just wrote Me as the first word and I don't see any difference :D 

21 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

"ME is from the Czek Republic" should sound horrible to you so it's "I am from the Czec Republic" making the correct original plural sentence:

Thanks for your explanation. ^This is helpful, altough I am aware of the difference between me and I, in some sentences it's not so obvious for me, so this will do the trick next time. Definitely going to use it to write the right form. :runaround::toocool: And I have to point out that I didn't wrote Me because of your post, I would have done it either way. But since you gave me this hint, I learned another English lesson in the real life, which is better than learning in school:runaround:Don't worry you're not the only one who's sometimes lost in grammar :D 

On 10/8/2016 at 10:15 AM, MMwhatsername said:

Exactly, and with the word "vote", the line makes perfect sense to me. People "vote" on online shops, they choose between products and clothes and useless stuff, but don't give a fuck about politics, elections and what's going on in the world. Commerce took over the process of voting. Or something like that :happy: At least that's what I read into the lyrics.

Good one. 

On 12/1/2016 at 11:53 AM, crock6000 said:

These thoughts if you are a successfully recovered addict are so obvious it's a punch in the face and the shit that I get that I didn't on the first listen make me feel almost dumb.

I think you indirectly also explained why DRB from the Trilogy leaves such an unsatisfying "um, that's it?" taste.  The entire Trilogy was a three-volume cry for help.  Billie chronicled his relapse back into addiction, hitting rock-bottom, and surveying the damage he did in the process.  DRB hits with a non-apology and a snarky middle-finger raised at us. "Sorry, fuck you all, I just got carried away."  Whether that means he overdid something stupid or he got carted off (to rehab) in an ambulance, the Trilogy ends with us looking wide-eyed at the train wreck, the carnage still on the tracks, asking "well, did you at least LEARN anything from this?" (cf. Whatsername)  -- and getting silence in reply...and "The Forgotten," which I have tried especially hard to forget about.  RevRad is filled with explosive clarity.  It speaks to the triumph of perseverance, and it makes some sense out of all the loose ends that the Trilogy left sitting in shreds.

"Congratulations I found my soul under the sofa pillows"....yep, it's sitting in the place I left it, the place where crud collects and nobody ever deals with except maybe once every few years before company comes to visit.  Time to pick it back up, clean it up, and take it out for a spin.

On 12/1/2016 at 2:06 PM, Ellen Caulfield said:

I just want to react to that one thing. I know that dying in threes is about celebrities and stuff, but I think that it may also mean (in this song) that actually everybody is dying in threes. Your neighbor dies, then your old friend, then your mother. The next three is all over again the same thing but with different people who are passing away "together". It's the other way how to say our old friend Death is waitnig for all of us.

This might sound dumb and maybe I'm the only one or not, but that's what I think of when I hear this particular line and because of this explanation I think it's an amazing line. I love that song. 

:thumbsup:

On 12/2/2016 at 1:45 AM, crock6000 said:

It's called a "book end" and it gives writers a great way to give the audience a catharsis at the end that throws to the beginning. It's EXACTLY like when you go to a movie and it starts somewhere on scene and then meets itself at the end. Sometimes it happens at the very end or right at the resolution with the conclusion occurig.

The protagonist goes through a change. Think about all of your favorite movied and 95% of them have a hero that goes through a change from the beginning to the end. (Some films have other types of heroes that are called "fake protagonists" and there is a type that doesn't go through a change but our hero causes a change in someone else who is not the hero.

Then there are Woody Allen's movies, in which people who you think are supposed to be transformed by a transformative experience end up in the same shit place they started out in.  But I digress. :D

1 hour ago, crock6000 said:

We are headed backwards right now and at a rapid pace. The more Billie writes about it and tried to wake people the fuck up, the happier I am.

"I sat in the waiting room wasting my time, waiting for judgment day."

Truth.

On 3. 12. 2016 at 1:17 AM, crock6000 said:

Well great. While you guys are learning because I had no idea that EITHER of you had English as a second language, I am feeling dumber because I think you both write better than me (or I?) Hahaha.

Reminds me of a thing my brother once said to me. My very intellectual brother when I once said "Me and Sean are going to the mall" and being my older brother and always correcting me he said "Me, can NEVER be the first word in a sentence".  I said "Yeah, how about the one you just said?".

I think that was the only time I ever burned my brother on language as he is a professional lawyer and words are his profession.  

Back on the off topic (ha), what is really eye opening here Ms. Lannister is the fact that I had ZERO fucking idea that English is not either of yours' first language.  SMH at myself.

You give us a lot of praise for typing away online :D thank you 

23 hours ago, Bastard of 1967 said:

I think you indirectly also explained why DRB from the Trilogy leaves such an unsatisfying "um, that's it?" taste.  The entire Trilogy was a three-volume cry for help.  Billie  DRB hits with a non-apology and a snarky middle-finger raised at us. "Sorry, fuck you all, I just got carried away."  Whether that means he overdid something stupid or he got carted off (to rehab) in an ambulance, the Trilogy ends with us looking wide-eyed at the train wreck, the carnage still on the tracks, asking "well, did you at least LEARN anything from this?" (cf. Whatsername)  -- and getting silence in reply...and "The Forgotten," which I have tried especially hard to forget about.  RevRad is filled with explosive clarity.  It speaks to the triumph of perseverance, and it makes some sense out of all the loose ends that the Trilogy left sitting in 

I'm not sure if I'd say he "chronicled his relapse back into addiction, hitting rock-bottom, and surveying the damage he did in the process.", he didn't do that as directly (and I don't see much surveying in it) but I agree with you that the albums left that "that was it?!" feeling. 

Imo, the lyrics on the Trilogy are less introspective than on most other albums. A lot of people say it seems forced and yeah, the vibe these songs give out is: "I'm still having fun, aren't I???"...To me it sounds like there's not much actual reflecting going on in those songs. It's like he's describing the situation but I don't it was the goal. I mean those albums were meant to be about fun and partying but in fact they are about how these things aren't fun anymore but that's what never really gets acknowledged, which makes it sound forced or maybe it sounded like he didn't believe it himself.

TL;DR, you're right, I just don't think it's what he actually wanted those albums to be, it either just happened or we just see it in it because we suppose it is there. (I wonder if someone would interpret it this way withought knowing the backstory.)

Archived