Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

On 8.12.2017 at 11:45 PM, 1039Revolutions said:

Any word on total worldwide album sales at this point? I know it was around 700,000 at the 5 month mark, so my guess is 1.25M to 1.5M sales worldwide 14 months in?

It hasn't received any gold- or platinum-certifications yet, as far as I know. So I'd go with @MysticManiac. 1M maximum.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9.12.2017 at 1:00 PM, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

See a lot of people talking about live albums and dvds. 

They should finally make one where it's one uncut concert.  Not selected songs like Bullet in a Bible.  Not from 20 different shows like Awesome.   Take the best show with ALL the songs and make a great cd/dvd combo.

and of course maybe a bside or new song thrown in for good measure, lol.     

The recent tour deserves a live DVD so much, the boys were better than ever and after all we know they enjoyed the hell out of it too, so I'm still kind of hoping for something. But maybe in vain :(

Cause I think this is how it actually looks like in the Green Day promotion department:

685853c91736269fdb01eba27c7b39d9--billie

6 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

The recent tour deserves a live DVD so much, the boys were better than ever and after all we know they enjoyed the hell out of it too, so I'm still kind of hoping for something. But maybe in vain :(

Cause I think this is how it actually looks like in the Green Day promotion department:

Haha, I wish I thought were two in it!

I'm still waiting to see if there's anything left of this era.  How can we know for sure?  What if it's March 16th, 2018 and BAM - another single!  

Oh, that date....it's the furthest out from the album's release date that they would still be promoting.  They promoted Nimrod 1 year, 5 months and 9 days after it's release date. 

1 hour ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I'm still waiting to see if there's anything left of this era.  How can we know for sure?  What if it's March 16th, 2018 and BAM - another single!  

Oh, that date....it's the furthest out from the album's release date that they would still be promoting.  They promoted Nimrod 1 year, 5 months and 9 days after it's release date. 

I mean, with the trilogy they released Demolicious a year and a half after Tré. And Xmas Time of the Year, which is definitely a trilogy-sounding track was released at Christmas of 2015 so I'm not sure if we can say yet that this era is over.

New tour numbers-

Rank- 39

Artist/Event- Green Day, The Interrupters

Venue- Estadio Nacional

City/State- Lima, Peru

Event Dates- November 14, 2017

Gross Sales- $915,910

Attend/ Capacity- 15,457/20,000

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $92.13, $27.51

Rank- 45

Venue- Parque Simon Bolivar

City/State- Bogota, Colombia

Event Dates- November 17, 2017

Gross Sales- $789,642

Attend/ Capacity- 9,165/12,000

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $115.62, $57.81

Rank- 55

Venue- Adelaide Entertainment Centre

City/State- Adelaide, Australia

Event Dates- May 3, 2017

Gross Sales- $558,178

Attend/ Capacity- 6,378/6,378

Shows/Sellouts- 1/1

Prices- $94.11, $71.52, $51.95

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New tour numbers-

Rank- 1

Artist/Event- Hurricane Festival: Green Day, Linkin Park, Casper, blink-182, Die Antwoord, & others

Venue- Eichenring

City/State- Scheessel, Germany

Event Dates- June 23-25, 2017

Gross Sales- $12,621,000

Attend/ Capacity- 77,570/77,570

Shows/Sellouts- 3/3

Prices- $602.40, $5.58

Rank- 3

Artist/Event- Corona Capital: Foo Fighters, Green Day, The xx, Phoenix, PJ Harvey, Alt-J, & others

Venue- Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez

City/State- Mexico City, Mexico

Event Dates- Nov. 18-19, 2017

Gross Sales- $7,932,356

Attend/ Capacity- 151,317/160,000

Shows/Sellouts- 2/0

Prices- $151.64, $60.13

So.....definitely over?  I was hoping their would celebrate the awesomeness that is Rev Rad until 3/16/18, reigning in the glory of it all.   

Hmm.    

They could have decided less is more, but I personally believe that MORE IS MORE.  haha.

Maybe they'll make up for it next time with six singles from the next album.  3 just irks me.  and we haven't gotten more than three from an album in NINE YEARS.  Sure the trilogy had 5 but other than "Oh Love" the others were kicked to the curb.  So that makes up for a lot of that time, but Rev Rad could have had more singles.  it was (nay, IS!)  a fantastic album front to finish and gosh darn it, TOO DUMB TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

50 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

So.....definitely over?  I was hoping their would celebrate the awesomeness that is Rev Rad until 3/16/18, reigning in the glory of it all.   

Hmm.    

They could have decided less is more, but I personally believe that MORE IS MORE.  haha.

Maybe they'll make up for it next time with six singles from the next album.  3 just irks me.  and we haven't gotten more than three from an album in NINE YEARS.  Sure the trilogy had 5 but other than "Oh Love" the others were kicked to the curb.  So that makes up for a lot of that time, but Rev Rad could have had more singles.  it was (nay, IS!)  a fantastic album front to finish and gosh darn it, TOO DUMB TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Well I think it's not as common for albums to have more than 3 singles released anymore unless they're popular and successful. RevRad did alright but not great. Maybe if it reached 21CB levels of success, it would've got a 4th single. But really, I don't see the point in them releasing more singles if they're not going to promote them. SB only got a couple of TV performances, RevRad had basically no promotion outside of the music video. Releasing a 4th single would've been pointless because they wouldn't have even done anything for it.

47 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Well I think it's not as common for albums to have more than 3 singles released anymore unless they're popular and successful. RevRad did alright but not great. Maybe if it reached 21CB levels of success, it would've got a 4th single. But really, I don't see the point in them releasing more singles if they're not going to promote them. SB only got a couple of TV performances, RevRad had basically no promotion outside of the music video. Releasing a 4th single would've been pointless because they wouldn't have even done anything for it.

Well the album debuted at number one and the first two singles were promoted and both hit number one. The third single wasn’t promoted so there’s the difference. I’m okay with them moving on at this point. Rock albums may not sell in the numbers they once did but considering that I think RevRad did really well. By todays standards RevRad isn’t a new album anymore (things move faster) and it’s time to start focusing on new music.

As of this month, RevRad has sold over 1,000,000 copies world wide! By today's standards, that's pretty damn swell, especially for a 12th album! Congrats Green Day! 😊

I'm just saying that unless an album is very successful, which rock albums tend not to be anymore, I don't think it's too common for them to get more than 3 singles anymore. And yeah, RR basically isn't new anymore

16 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm just saying that unless an album is very successful, which rock albums tend not to be anymore, I don't think it's too common for them to get more than 3 singles anymore. And yeah, RR basically isn't new anymore

I know, I need to get with the times.  But...

Red Hot Chili Peppers have consistently put out 4-5 singles from 1991 to present. 

But....Bush sort of went the 3 singles an album route pretty early on.    

Trying to think of band that have been around about the same time as Green Day and/or the same level of success.....that's tricky. 

The Offspring is a very similar band!  .............yeah, they kind of went the 3 singles route for the most part after Americana.  

So valid point.  I get it.   

My point is, I'd love Green Day to have a monster success so we could get 5 or more singles and all them get the crap promoted out of them.   

I think a great idea for Green Day to do is do a Coheadliner tour and do one that will turn heads. You basically live in a world of touring now rather than a world of albums. Def Leppard did that tour with Kiss and it helped them tremendously and they seem to be getting even mor popular. I believe their last album was independently released and it did pretty damn good for being and independently released album. If they did say a tour with the Foo Fighter or The Killers to prove that they are the best live band again like they did with Blink 182 back in 2002. They gotta do something to turn some heads besides release another political album. 

Please no. I mean FF or Killers would be cool but these bands have no reason to do a coheadlining tour and I don't want to suffer through an hour of any pop punk band that they'd end up doing this with. Or alternatively, an hour of a good punk band Green Day's audience doesn't know/doesn't give a shit about. For example, I loved the Interrupters, but I'll have to go see them again sometime because I couldn't fully enjoy them with being the only person not on their phone in a square kilometer from the stage. 

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Please no. I mean FF or Killers would be cool but these bands have no reason to do a coheadlining tour and I don't want to suffer through an hour of any pop punk band that they'd end up doing this with. Or alternatively, an hour of a good punk band Green Day's audience doesn't know/doesn't give a shit about. For example, I loved the Interrupters, but I'll have to go see them again sometime because I couldn't fully enjoy them with being the only person not on their phone in a square kilometer from the stage. 

Those were just ideas, but not the worst. All a lot of people care about are the names. Foo fighters= Everlong. Green Day= Boulevard Of Broken Dreams. “Jeez that sounds like a good show to go get fucked up at and listen to 2 well known rock bands.” Put that shit in amphitheater’s across the US and tickets will sell trust me. I mean shit you have Poison and Cheap Trick doing a tour together that will sell a lot of tickets but when I think of one of those bands I don’t necessarily think of the other. You could put Kiss with Kenny Chesney in amphitheater’s across the US and shows would sell out. Not that would ever happen, but you get what I mean. It’s honestly really great promotion for both bands. I can’t tell you how much people that went to the Green Day show in Utah and then went to the Foo Fighters later in the year. I fucking hate the Foo Fighters and I especially hate Dave Grohl but I’d sure as hell show up to that concert. 

I browsed through my Green Day notes from November 2016. I just noted several video views back then and now I correlated the data

• 21 Guns - 156 mln | + 41 mln
  • Boulevard of Broken Dreams - 106 | +92
  • Bang Bang - 10 | + 8
  • Still Breathing - 3 | + 11
  • Say Goodbye - 2 | +4

BoBD has never been so popular in such a short period of time, 1/5 of it's youtube existence and 90 million within one year

3 hours ago, Cunt said:

Those were just ideas, but not the worst. All a lot of people care about are the names. Foo fighters= Everlong. Green Day= Boulevard Of Broken Dreams. “Jeez that sounds like a good show to go get fucked up at and listen to 2 well known rock bands.” Put that shit in amphitheater’s across the US and tickets will sell trust me. I mean shit you have Poison and Cheap Trick doing a tour together that will sell a lot of tickets but when I think of one of those bands I don’t necessarily think of the other. You could put Kiss with Kenny Chesney in amphitheater’s across the US and shows would sell out. Not that would ever happen, but you get what I mean. It’s honestly really great promotion for both bands. I can’t tell you how much people that went to the Green Day show in Utah and then went to the Foo Fighters later in the year. I fucking hate the Foo Fighters and I especially hate Dave Grohl but I’d sure as hell show up to that concert. 

I wouldn’t want to see this either. I associate those double bills with nostalgia acts and Green Day aren’t there yet. They were considered on the downslide when they did it with Blink they were fighting to regain their relevancy. I think they already have a great reputation as a live band and are doing well they don’t need that stain. Plus with a double bill their set would have to be shorter and I wouldn’t want to pay to see whatever the other band was so to me that would be less for my money.

The tour wrapped up 2-3 months ago and still STILL this is the first tour i can think of we have had and not got any like professional DVD live album. I mean during the AI tour we had BIAB of course. ANd then the 21st CB tour we had AAF movie + live album as same as the BIAB. And then we had the trilogy area where we had far more live footage AND a DVD showing us the creation behind the albums. ANd now we have just finished one of their biggest tours and greatest in my opnion and its one hell of a shame that we dont have a live DVD or live album ,preferrably both. Shame on you both GD and the GD team. Hugely dissapointed. 

Just the idea of having to sit through Dave Grohl warbling for 2 hours just to see GD makes my stomach turn. 

I think co-headlining tours tend to be with bands that can't pull in the numbers that they used too by themselves. That is not necessarily a bad thing, I think it is just a natural course of a band's progression. Many bands that have been around as long or longer, than GD do co-headlining tours.

It really depends on who they would be co-headlining with on whether it would appeal to me. 

Archived