Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

36 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

Yeah, tbh I don't know why they put out a Bohemian Rhapsody video when BOBD is equally as powerful - even moreso because the crowd launches into it before Billie even starts singing the first line. And hearing everyone sing the chorus while Billie just sits and listens always gives me chills. 

I'm also thinking of other live moments they could upload - like the mic toss to a fan during Are We The Waiting, Billie giving away a guitar, or even Jason's saxophone solo. Just something to show off what cool things happen at the shows. 

Amen! I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who wasn't too crazy about the Bohemian Rhapsody video. I mean, it is impressive, yes, but as Green Days promo team, they should promote Green Day, not Queen. And songs like BOBD are indeed so impressive live. Or the acoustic 21 Guns. :wub:

The Southside festival just released a festival video and there's not a trace of Green Day in there although they were the headliner. It's all about Blink (it even features a Blink song) and the other bands that played there. GD didn't give permission for any footage at all. I seriously don't understand their strict policy. If they even have a policy, or a concept - or something like a promo team at all:lol:. I mean, okay, if they are making a live DVD, they want to sell it and they don't want to give it all away for free on Youtube, I get that. But giving us nothing at all is just so wrong. With just some songs or short clips, as you said, they would get a lot of attention and I'm pretty damn sure it would push the ticket sales for the upcoming shows, too.

The video of the boy on stage that Billie shared yesterday was part of the pro-shot material from Pinkpop Festival, and it got many likes and comments. It's sad (and also a bit funny, okay) that Billie seems to be in charge of the Green Day promotion now. :fool:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

Amen! I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who wasn't too crazy about the Bohemian Rhapsody video. I mean, it is impressive, yes, but as Green Days promo team, they should promote Green Day, not Queen. And songs like BOBD are indeed so impressive live. Or the acoustic 21 Guns. :wub:

The Southside festival just released a festival video and there's not a trace of Green Day in there although they were the headliner. It's all about Blink (it even features a Blink song) and the other bands that played there. GD didn't give permission for any footage at all. I seriously don't understand their strict policy. 

Exactly! Just thought of the same thing. I saw the highlights video of the Hurricane Festival and it doesn't feature Green Day at all. That's just weird. No one would decide not to buy ticket for a Green Day-show (or a live-DVD) just because of a two seconds-snippet in a YouTube-video. It makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Exactly! Just thought of the same thing. I saw the highlights video of the Hurricane Festival and it doesn't feature Green Day at all. That's just weird. No one would decide not to buy ticket for a Green Day-show (or a live-DVD) just because of a two seconds-snippet in a YouTube-video. It makes no sense. 

The people buying green day tickets are the same people who watch these and still go to a show ?

28 minutes ago, luketrebilliemike said:

The people buying green day tickets are the same people who watch these and still go to a show ?

That's what I mean. I doubt that ticket sales will decrease if they release some more footage. The thesis was that they don't release any pro-shot footage because they don't want people to watch videos of their performances on YouTube instead of actually going to one of the shows. 

2 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

The Southside festival just released a festival video and there's not a trace of Green Day in there although they were the headliner. It's all about Blink (it even features a Blink song) and the other bands that played there. GD didn't give permission for any footage at all. I seriously don't understand their strict policy. If they even have a policy, or a concept - or something like a promo team at all:lol:. I mean, okay, if they are making a live DVD, they want to sell it and they don't want to give it all away for free on Youtube, I get that. But giving us nothing at all is just so wrong. With just some songs or short clips, as you said, they would get a lot of attention and I'm pretty damn sure it would push the ticket sales for the upcoming shows, too.

The video of the boy on stage that Billie shared yesterday was part of the pro-shot material from Pinkpop Festival, and it got many likes and comments. It's sad (and also a bit funny, okay) that Billie seems to be in charge of the Green Day promotion now. :fool:

I agree. I don't really like video BR either..The Queen is gone but not forgotten..but GD is alive and well. Why can't they used one of their song like American Idiot live to start with.

Billie would be the boss of everything that his band is doing or not doing.Because he is better to promoted the band, then their PR team.

1 hour ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

That's what I mean. I doubt that ticket sales will decrease if they release some more footage. The thesis was that they don't release any pro-shot footage because they don't want people to watch videos of their performances on YouTube instead of actually going to one of the shows. 

One of my other favorite bands, Enter Shikari, is releasing a ton of live footage and their fans don't just go to one show when they tour, but often to at least 2 shows. Many of them even do up to 5 or more shows. The thing is, when you watch live footage on YouTube, what do you think? You think: "Damn, i wish I was there!". This is actually a textbook example of advertising. Advertising is all about waking desires. You can't do that without showing the people what they are missing. 

19 minutes ago, melissi_unicorn said:

One of my other favorite bands, Enter Shikari, is releasing a ton of live footage and their fans don't just go to one show when they tour, but often to at least 2 shows. Many of them even do up to 5 or more shows. The thing is, when you watch live footage on YouTube, what do you think? You think: "Damn, i wish I was there!". This is actually a textbook example of advertising. Advertising is all about waking desires. You can't do that without showing the people what they are missing. 

Yes, I'm sure the release of live footage would encourage people to go to one of their shows. They are an amazing live band and these videos proof it. You see them and want to be there as well. At least that's what happened to me years ago when I saw live footage of Green Day. 

7 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Yes, I'm sure the release of live footage would encourage people to go to one of their shows. They are an amazing live band and these videos proof it. You see them and want to be there as well. At least that's what happened to me years ago when I saw live footage of Green Day. 

Same for me! Another great example are the Foo Fighters. They are currently hyping the shit out of their new record by streaming live shows and debuting new tracks there. That hype is what i'm missing with Green Day. It might be too much to ask since the record has been out for quite a while and they've already been touring for some time.

Well, I guess we should be happy that they are such an awesome live band and that they released a great album last year. The album was fairly succesful so I guess they boys are just enjoying themselves right now. But they could definitely share some of the fun with us :D

literally if they posted live videos of bang bang and basket case (maybe forever now? pls? ESPECIALLY SINCE WE DIDNT EVEN GET IT'S AUDIO??) from hyde park on their youtube it would probably pick up more traction than the bohemian rhapsody video. their performances in those songs were KILLER.

The annoying thing about the Bohemian Rhapsody video is that there's already a video of the exact same thing from Emirates- not uploaded by them, but it was still a hit. You don't need pro shot footage for that kinda thing. How about promote your fans' connection with your own music which is just as powerful?! 

Their strict policy baffles me too. Even if we were getting a DVD. Why wouldn't they want to promote themselves with their biggest selling point, i.e. their kickass live performances? Ugh I'm madder at this than I should be. Wasted opportunities I guess. 

It was great to begin with when people 1st started watching the Bohemian Rhapsody video as it kind of felt like good promotion for GD, but now the fact that it is still getting tonnes of views is annoying me a bit as I wish people would watch the music videos (or even better, some live footage).

That Bohemian Rhapsody video now has 4.9M views. When I posted here on Monday it had 4.5M views and it was placed #6 on the list of the most viewed videos in the Rev Rad era. Thanks to the flurry of views its had since Monday, it has now overtaken the Troubled Times lyric video (4.8M views) into #5 on the list.

23 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Well, I guess we should be happy that they are such an awesome live band and that they released a great album last year. The album was fairly succesful so I guess they boys are just enjoying themselves right now. But they could definitely share some of the fun with us :D

that is all that matter right??..that band is happy to have new great tour and album for Us to be happy and enjoy their music.:)

Revolution Radio Chart Positions This Week

Canada Rock - #12 from #13 last week
US Rock Airplay - #27 from #30 last week
US Alternative - #32 from #34 last week
US Mainstream - #9 from #10 last week

Pretty good progress this week for RevRad, most noticeably on Rock Airplay where it peaked 3 places higher. I also searched for Somewhere Now on charts as it was announced as a UK single but couldn't find any appearances for it on the charts

3 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

Pretty good progress this week for RevRad, most noticeably on Rock Airplay where it peaked 3 places higher. I also searched for Say Goodbye on charts as it was announced as a UK single but couldn't find any appearances for it on the charts

Pretty bad...

Just now, Eric said:

Pretty bad...

As soon as I saw that I got a reply from you, this was pretty much the comment I was expecting

Just now, MysticManiac said:

As soon as I saw that I got a reply from you, this was pretty much the comment I was expecting

Same to you :)

1 hour ago, MysticManiac said:

Pretty good progress this week for RevRad, most noticeably on Rock Airplay where it peaked 3 places higher. I also searched for Say Goodbye on charts as it was announced as a UK single but couldn't find any appearances for it on the charts

You mean "Somewhere Now". That was announced as UK single unless I missed something :D

Just now, melissi_unicorn said:

You mean "Somewhere Now". That was announced as UK single unless I missed something :D

Yes, you're right. My bad

24 minutes ago, Caroline Truong said:

It would be that bad, if Say Goodnight is next single..well for me?..;)

Green Day has a song called Say Goodnight? :huh: 

3 hours ago, Eric said:

Oh yeah, you haven't heard of it? I would say it is comparable to another one of their songs, Boom Bang

6 hours ago, Eric said:

I meant Say goodbye!..:lol:

16 hours ago, RedundantIdiot said:

It was great to begin with when people 1st started watching the Bohemian Rhapsody video as it kind of felt like good promotion for GD, but now the fact that it is still getting tonnes of views is annoying me a bit as I wish people would watch the music videos (or even better, some live footage).

I had a friend who normally has no real interest in Green Day mention the video to me last week and tell me how cool she thought the video was and how amazing it must have been to be there.  She didn't quite understand that it was a thing that happens at every show, and thought it was just because the band were taking a while, but it was still very good promotion because she was now showing interest in the band.  Plus, as she'd viewed the video she was more likely then to view Green Day's other videos since she's was on their YouTube channel already and they'd be suggested videos.  So I can see where the promotion team are coming from with this move.

On 19/07/2017 at 6:38 AM, Jenn. said:

The annoying thing about the Bohemian Rhapsody video is that there's already a video of the exact same thing from Emirates- not uploaded by them, but it was still a hit. You don't need pro shot footage for that kinda thing. How about promote your fans' connection with your own music which is just as powerful?! 

Their strict policy baffles me too. Even if we were getting a DVD. Why wouldn't they want to promote themselves with their biggest selling point, i.e. their kickass live performances? Ugh I'm madder at this than I should be. Wasted opportunities I guess. 

I like to think that Green Day's promotion team know more about marketing than I do and that I just don't fully understand the complexities of their strategy.  At least, I hope that's the case :lol: 

36 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

I had a friend who normally has no real interest in Green Day mention the video to me last week and tell me how cool she thought the video was and how amazing it must have been to be there.  She didn't quite understand that it was a thing that happens at every show, and thought it was just because the band were taking a while, but it was still very good promotion because she was now showing interest in the band.  Plus, as she'd viewed the video she was more likely then to view Green Day's other videos since she's was on their YouTube channel already and they'd be suggested videos.  So I can see where the promotion team are coming from with this move.

I was just thinking about that! The video is probably a gateway to Green Day's YouTube channel for lots of non-fans or casual listeners. Also, YouTube automatically starts offering you GD videos when you've shown interest in one. I'm actually quite in awe of that algorithm. I've recently started watching interviews of the Warning era and YT just knows and finds all those old gems hidden by American Idiot - Rev Rad era interviews. 

Archived