Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, #2 on the Mainstream Rock chart, which is absolutely going to top next week.

SB has dropped to number 3 on the Canada Rock chart http://www.billboard.com/biz/charts/2017-02-04/canada-rock

So it doesn't look like it's gonna top that chart. And no change on the Hot Rock Songs chart (Still No. 12)

Revolution Radio has dropped to 160 on the Billboard 200 and 54 on the Top Album Sales chart, much lower than what was expected from hitsdailydouble.com

2 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

So how's the forecast for it entering Hot 100?

Well it's not in the Bubbling Under the Hot 100 chart yet (which shows positions 101-125). So it's not really close yet. I think the only way it might possibly enter this chart is if they release the physical CD of the single and quite a few people buy it. Radio airplay, streaming and iTunes isn't going to be enough to get it into the chart

1 hour ago, MysticManiac said:

SB has dropped to number 3 on the Canada Rock chart http://www.billboard.com/biz/charts/2017-02-04/canada-rock

So it doesn't look like it's gonna top that chart. And no change on the Hot Rock Songs chart (Still No. 12)

Revolution Radio has dropped to 160 on the Billboard 200 and 54 on the Top Album Sales chart, much lower than what was expected from hitsdailydouble.com

I'm actually a bit disappointed with the Canada Rock chart. On Sunday evening I visited this site, that shows the building chart:

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/networkmag/chart.asp?format=z6k&cutoff=1

As you can see from "Last Week" spins, SB was by far the #1. Maybe it's not the right chart, I may be wrong. But I'm not sure about those positions.

Talking about the Hot Rock Songs chart, it's good to see that SB is the greatest gainer of the week. Maybe next week we'll see it one/two places higher.

So we have had two singles from RevRad and both topped the Alternative, Rock Airplay (and Mainstream, we just have to wait) charts.

It's so good compared to last era, when the highest position was a #3 of Oh Love on the Alternative chart. After that, the complete failure of Kill The DJ and X-Kid and some little appearences of Let Yourself Go and Stray Heart.

Also, considering the #97 of Oh Love on the Hot 100, I think that if Bang Bang and Still Breathing would have been released back in 2012, they would have charted both higher on that list. Music industry changes, but there's nothing to do: GD confirmed to be still at the top. The most successful GD since 2009. :)

7 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

I'm actually a bit disappointed with the Canada Rock chart. On Sunday evening I visited this site, that shows the building chart:

As you can see from "Last Week" spins, SB was by far the #1. Maybe it's not the right chart, I may be wrong. But I'm not sure about those positions.

Talking about the Hot Rock Songs chart, it's good to see that SB is the greatest gainer of the week. Maybe next week we'll see it one/two places higher.

So we have had two singles from RevRad and both topped the Alternative, Rock Airplay (and Mainstream, we just have to wait) charts.

It's so good compared to last era, when the highest position was a #3 of Oh Love on the Alternative chart. After that, the complete failure of Kill The DJ and X-Kid and some little appearences of Let Yourself Go and Stray Heart.

Also, considering the #97 of Oh Love on the Hot 100, I think that if Bang Bang and Still Breathing would have been released back in 2012, they would have charted both higher on that list. Music industry changes, but there's nothing to do: GD confirmed to be still at the top. The most successful GD since 2009. :)

Completely agreed. They were still enjoying the Broadway fame and reaping the rewards from the 21st Century Breakdown tour. Both Bang Bang and Still Breathing could've been massive hits.

And then of course there's the live tour, which looks like it's going to be huge. I haven't had time to really look into it thoroughly, but it seems like ticket sales are very good.

38 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

Yeah it's a shame it couldn't top that chart. Although I don't think these sites are very accurate, sometimes they are but sometimes they're way off. I didn't notice that SB was the greatest gainer of the week in the Hot Rock chart. If GD release the CD for SB soon, that might go up quite a bit

It is great that RevRad has already had 2 singles top the Alternative chart. Even in 2009, only Know Your Enemy was able to do that while 21 Guns only reached #3. 21 Guns of course got better mainstream attention though and did well on Pop charts as well

It's definitely much better than the singles from the trilogy era (Despite what Seagull thinks). Oh Love did well, Kill the DJ did nothing in the US (didn't even enter any rock chart) and very little outside the US, Stray Heart did ok outside of the US but again nothing in the US, X-Kid did little in the US and nothing outside the US. I think it's quite unusual that a GD single wouldn't enter any chart in the US but both Kill the DJ and Stray Heart didn't

Still Breathing has done great considering
1. It hasn't been promoted much
2. It didn't have a CD released (yet)
3. The current state of rock in 2016/2017

BB and SB definetely would've done better in 2012

I just hope the 3rd single makes some sort of impact in the charts, at least more so than the trilogy singles

For what it's worth: the Bang Bang lyric video has surpassed the view count of the Know Your Enemy video (the caveat being that the latter was only (re-)uploaded in January 2013. Bang Bang will cross the 12 million mark today.

EDIT: more than 12 million views

2 minutes ago, Dakke said:

For what it's worth: the Bang Bang lyric video has surpassed the view count of the Know Your Enemy video (the caveat being that the latter was only (re-)uploaded in January 2013. Bang Bang will cross the 12 million mark today.

That's interesting. More views with 4 months vs 3 years.

5 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Indeed. That's particularly intriguing since Holiday, though a more iconic song than KYE, was uploaded on exactly the same date and has garnered 39 million views in the same timeframe. The daily view count of Holiday has actually mostly been over 60,000 since the release of Bang Bang, with a spike of 90,000 views on the day of the AMAs. Comparatively, Know Your Enemy daily views peaked when Bang Bang was released.

16 minutes ago, Dakke said:

13 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

That's to be expected though. When the KYE video was released, the song was 4 years old at that point, therefore all the hype for that song was gone. There is a lyric video on YouTube for KYE which has 13 million views created August 2009. So that's a combined number of over 23 million views

Bang Bang has a combined 15.3 million views (12 million from lyric video, 3.3 million from music video) and SB has a combined 14.8 million views (9.4 million from lyric video, 5.4 million from music video). It's interesting to me how few Bang Bang's music video has and how slowly the figure is increasing. A lot more people are still watching the lyric video. I definitely prefer the lyric video

2 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

That's to be expected though. When the KYE video was released, the song was 4 years old at that point, therefore all the hype for that song was gone. There is a lyric video on YouTube for KYE which has 13 million views created August 2009. So that's a combined number of over 23 million views

Bang Bang has a combined 15.3 million views (12 million from lyric video, 3.3 million from music video) and SB has a combined 14.8 million views (9.4 million from lyric video, 5.4 million from music video). It's interesting to me how few Bang Bang's music video has and how slowly the figure is increasing. A lot more people are still watching the lyric video. I definitely prefer the lyric video

Yeah, the lyric videos are better, although most are basically animated music videos, particularly Troubled Times.

Another unexpected fact is the gap between the combined views of KYE (23M) and Oh Love (35M, Music with 27 and Lyric with 8). KYE was the first single after the epic AI era, even though it has far less views than the first single of a successful but less relevant era (21stCB).

Also, combined views of BB vs SB are quite the same. An example of a non-lead single being as successful as a lead single. Happy for that.

16 hours ago, End Of The World said:

IMO the physical single will be officially available on February 10th (Impact Date). On that day the price of the article should decease drastically.

But still......somebody out there paid 165 bucks for it.  You know there isn't any artwork inside, no other song.   165.00 for some graphics taken from the lyric video and one song.    WOO HOO!!!

5 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

It's definitely much better than the singles from the trilogy era (Despite what Seagull thinks). Oh Love did well, Kill the DJ did nothing in the US (didn't even enter any rock chart) and very little outside the US, Stray Heart did ok outside of the US but again nothing in the US, X-Kid did little in the US and nothing outside the US. I think it's quite unusual that a GD single wouldn't enter any chart in the US but both Kill the DJ and Stray Heart didn't

IIRC Kill the DJ wasn't released as a single in the US, and I think maybe Stray Heart wasn't either, and then Let Yourself Go and X-Kid were US Singles. At the very least Kill the DJ definitely wasn't a US single.

On 21/1/2017 at 7:30 PM, MysticManiac said:

Where did you get/find that? That's pretty cool

EDIT: Just searched for Still Breathing on Amazon trying to find it and saw a one star comment saying "Voted for hillary and whined!!" lol

GDA uploaded on their twitter account.

The number of views for the Bang Bang lyric video will soon overtake the Minority music video on YouTube. Minority currently has 12.1 million views. And Minority has been on YouTube for more than six years. Im pleased that most of the music videos have had more hits during the Rev Rad era, especially BOBD, AI, 21 Guns, etc. I just wish more people would watch the likes of Redundant (6million views), Walking Contradiction (5 million), even Good Riddance only has 36 million. 

21 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

But still......somebody out there paid 165 bucks for it.  You know there isn't any artwork inside, no other song.   165.00 for some graphics taken from the lyric video and one song.    WOO HOO!!!

LMAO that is pretty sad to spend that money on not such a rare song :lol: 

43 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

The number of views for the Bang Bang lyric video will soon overtake the Minority music video on YouTube. Minority currently has 12.1 million views. And Minority has been on YouTube for more than six years. Im pleased that most of the music videos have had more hits during the Rev Rad era, especially BOBD, AI, 21 Guns, etc. I just wish more people would watch the likes of Redundant (6million views), Walking Contradiction (5 million), even Good Riddance only has 36 million. 

The only place I know that watches YouTube views so closely :lol: 

On 1/24/2017 at 5:25 PM, End Of The World said:

Another unexpected fact is the gap between the combined views of KYE (23M) and Oh Love (35M, Music with 27 and Lyric with 8). KYE was the first single after the epic AI era, even though it has far less views than the first single of a successful but less relevant era (21stCB).

Also, combined views of BB vs SB are quite the same. An example of a non-lead single being as successful as a lead single. Happy for that.

Check the upload date of KYE. The real video wasn't put up until long after it came out.

Still Breathing is #44 in the Czech Republic Top 100. Glad this song is doing well also outside of the US:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Still_Breathing_(Green_Day_song)

Waiting for Billboard update tomorrow, we should expect a #1 in Mainstream Rock and at least one position higher than last week's #12 in Hot Rock. :)

On 24/01/2017 at 1:35 AM, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Why in anyone's name would you pay 165.00 for ONE SONG!!!!!  Is that the only copy in existence or what?  I mean, if it had an unreleased track on it or something I'd MAYBE spend 30-40 bucks to hear that but it's "Still Breathing".   By itself.  165.00 dollars.    

It says "impacts on Febuary 10th".  Wonder what that's about.   

It's a promotional CD which is sent to radio stations and the like, encouraging them to play it.  It's not available for commercial sale, hence why it's so expensive - it's rare!  Impact date, afaik, is when they're planning for the single to, well, make an impact i.e. Become popular and properly hit the charts.  Since this is a UK promotional copy (specifically mentioning the UK dates), I think it's fair to assume that this may be a UK specific impact date and, thus, that they may be doing promotion here while they're on tour - I certainly hope so.

14 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

It's a promotional CD which is sent to radio stations and the like, encouraging them to play it.  It's not available for commercial sale, hence why it's so expensive - it's rare!  Impact date, afaik, is when they're planning for the single to, well, make an impact i.e. Become popular and properly hit the charts.  Since this is a UK promotional copy (specifically mentioning the UK dates), I think it's fair to assume that this may be a UK specific impact date and, thus, that they may be doing promotion here while they're on tour - I certainly hope so.

Thanks, this explains a lot. In fact, if we consider that the issue date of tomorrow's Billboard chart is February 11 (when SB will reach its peak, charting #1 on 3 lists) and the forecasted impact date for SB was February 10, the prevision was correct.

Archived