Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

1 hour ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

A lot of the youtube videos show the band looking bored and tired. It's almost like they don't want to be there. Yeah, there are moments and concerts where the energy and passion is still there, but that "fire" seems to have fizzled out.

Ehm I don't know in which universe you watched those videos, but in the videos of shows I've seen they are very energetic, smiling and interacting a lot and looking more relieved than they have in years. And many people who've already seen them this tour said that the shows were probably the best they've ever seen (just look into some of the threads in the tour-section). I have the feeling that they want to be there more than ever. So I don't really get what you're talking about.

Yes, 21stCB tour was awesome, but I think a lot of it was just show. They had the big fireworks, the big effects, it was stunning. But we know from many interviews in the past couple of months that Billie's condition was already pretty bad back then. They knew how to hide that and make the perfect show, no doubt.

But right now I have the feeling that we get the real GD. Maybe they are a little tired after playing and show that, but what's the big deal? Everyone understands that you're exhausted after rocking the fuck out of a place for 2,5 hours. There's no need for them to pretend that they're impeccable, they can just be themselves. With RevRad, they allowed us to take a deep look into their souls, the soul of this band and the bad times that almost destroyed it. They are more open-hearted and honest to us, but especially to themselves, than they have ever been before. On the record and on stage. It makes me so proud of them.

Don't know if I'm the only one who loves the authentic GD, but I do.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

I agree with you fully. Love how they are right now.

Bang Bang will be #1 on Billboard Alternative in a couple weeks since it's already #1 in the Mediabase chart. It's plummeting on Active, so I expect a quick fall on Billboard Mainstream Rock. 

Time for Still Breathing to rise :D (it will soon chart on Mainstream Rock, its bullet is consistent there).

BB performance on US radio charts has been incredibile, I didn't expect it to peak at #1 both on Alternative and Mainstream Rock.

On 10/29/2016 at 11:27 AM, MMwhatsername said:

But right now I have the feeling that we get the real GD. Maybe they are a little tired after playing and show that, but what's the big deal? Everyone understands that you're exhausted after rocking the fuck out of a place for 2,5 hours. There's no need for them to pretend that they're impeccable, they can just be themselves. With RevRad, they allowed us to take a deep look into their souls, the soul of this band and the bad times that almost destroyed it. They are more open-hearted and honest to us, but especially to themselves, than they have ever been before. On the record and on stage. It makes me so proud of them.

I feel the same way. This is the most honest they've ever seemed personally and on the record, and it really means a lot to me. I feel closer to them than I ever have before. And they just seem happier and more relaxed than they ever have. I don't think they're so caught up in the commercial side of the business anymore and it's beneficial for them and us. This era has been bright and positive because it's all about the music and the mutual love between the band and the fans, nothing else. I have never loved them more. This is, by far, the happiest I've ever been as a fan.

As someone who has seen them 5 times this year, I can assure you the spark is still very much there. Billie is still running around like a madman and controlling the crowd like a pro. They all seem so happy and grateful to be doing what they love again. They likely won't ever achieve AI or 21CB levels of success again, but that's okay. Hopefully they'll continue to put out albums as good as Rev Rad for years to come! 

Anyway I keep thinking RevRad is too underrated. Green Day really gave their heart in that work. They overcame both the failure of the Trilogy and Jason's cancer. They were in a difficult situation and that was the greatest way to come back. From this point of view, RevRad is their deepest and most meaningful album.

57 minutes ago, Ale7113 said:

Anyway I keep thinking RevRad is too underrated. Green Day really gave their heart in that work. They overcame both the failure of the Trilogy and Jason's cancer. They were in a difficult situation and that was the greatest way to come back. From this point of view, RevRad is their deepest and most meaningful album.

It's a bit like Warning, which laid the groundwork for a new era, even though it never got the acclaim it deserved. Revolution Radio is an album coming from a place that's far worse than they were in before AI. Back then, their problems were musical, though they had basically owned blink-182 during the Pop Disaster tour. In 2012-2013 they were set back severely by three bombed albums, a severely truncated world tour and several personal issues, leading to a prolonged break and being absent from the mind of the general public. RevRad is a child borne out of the madness and quandary post-21CB (I personally suspect the difficult recording process of 21CB led to Billie gradually losing more track of his sanity. FBHT was fun, but it was the first step in a destructive process that culminated in the iHeart breakdown), a reborn band ready to face a world dramatically different from the one they gauged so brilliantly in the mid and late 2000s. As for their stage fury, they still have it and can still excite a crowd like no one else. They can rock the stage for another 30 years. Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are still on top of their game and they are in their early 70s.

Was looking at best selling artist on the wiki page and was surprised  not to see GD there. The page says it lists artist with 75M sales and more, and GD's wiki says they have around 75M.

I went to two shows recently. Boston and NY. And they would have absolutely sold out both in an instant without a new album. And they crushed both shows (among the best I've seen going 20 shows deep).

Revolution Radio is a great album. I love it, it will do well.

But even without it, they would have destroyed these shows and probably could have kept filling arenas on the legacy material alone.

As long as the passion is there, they'll be just fine, new album or not. That's the key.

How lucky are we that they are still creating and performing at such a tremendous level still? It's ridiculous. And we're so amazingly lucky as fans.

11 hours ago, blueshadows said:

Was looking at best selling artist on the wiki page and was surprised  not to see GD there. The page says it lists artist with 75M sales and more, and GD's wiki says they have around 75M.

Yeah GD should be on that list. Dookie is on the List of best selling albums though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums#20.E2.80.9329_million_copies

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in but went for this one:

2 minutes ago, basketcase4933 said:

This is exactly the post for which I created this topic. It's great to see Bang Bang having such an exceptional longevity on the charts :D

21 hours ago, Dakke said:

It's a bit like Warning, which laid the groundwork for a new era, even though it never got the acclaim it deserved. Revolution Radio is an album coming from a place that's far worse than they were in before AI. Back then, their problems were musical, though they had basically owned blink-182 during the Pop Disaster tour. In 2012-2013 they were set back severely by three bombed albums, a severely truncated world tour and several personal issues, leading to a prolonged break and being absent from the mind of the general public. RevRad is a child borne out of the madness and quandary post-21CB (I personally suspect the difficult recording process of 21CB led to Billie gradually losing more track of his sanity. FBHT was fun, but it was the first step in a destructive process that culminated in the iHeart breakdown), a reborn band ready to face a world dramatically different from the one they gauged so brilliantly in the mid and late 2000s. As for their stage fury, they still have it and can still excite a crowd like no one else. They can rock the stage for another 30 years. Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are still on top of their game and they are in their early 70s.

This post owns my heart. How eloquently put. 

RevRad's continued success in big ways and small is honestly something I never thought Green Day would achieve again. Not because I doubted the quality of their work, but because the music industry as it is now simply isn't hospitable to their genre. The fact that they're breaking through that in the way they've broken through so many other struggles and barriers is pretty damn incredible.

1 hour ago, basketcase4933 said:

Yet more proof that Green Day are doing really well with Rev Rad. I'm sick of all the doom-mongers who don't think the album is doing well. Long may Green Day's success with Rev Rad continue!!!

(Sorry mods, I can't delete the picture from the post)

1 hour ago, MysticManiac said:

So... RevRad has dropped to No. 41 on the Billboard 200

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

That's not good considering Uno was at No. 26 on its third week

The scary thing is that RevRad in 3 weeks (95+21+12=128k) sold less than Uno (139k) in its 1st week. It's likely to be the same next week...

Haven't we determined that sales are simply going to be less than they were in 2012, though? I haven't been involved in this conversation recently but the sales I've been seeing lately have been pretty poor for many artists charting high (except for Lady Gaga, who is in a totally different realm).

EDIT: It's the 18th best selling album of the week, not terrible: http://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales

And looking at this article from early October, most sales have not been astronomical. Only 20 albums in 2016 had made it past 100,000 at that point: http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-albums-of-2016-so-far-revealed__14477/

1 hour ago, stories and songs said:

Haven't we determined that sales are simply going to be less than they were in 2012, though? I haven't been involved in this conversation recently but the sales I've been seeing lately have been pretty poor for many artists charting high (except for Lady Gaga, who is in a totally different realm).

EDIT: It's the 18th best selling album of the week, not terrible: http://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales

And looking at this article from early October, most sales have not been astronomical. Only 20 albums had made it past 100,000 at that point: http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-albums-of-2016-so-far-revealed__14477/

You are correct.  YOu cannot compare sales now and in 2012.  The music industry has changed dramatically.  It seems to me that the album is doing pretty well.  

I think three different factors must be considered:  
1) The music industry is deeply changed in 4 years. It's very hard to find a record that sells more than 100k copies in its first week. Considering the overall scenario the record is doing well, very well, not only in the US but internationally. Especially in U.K. and central Europe, Revolution Radio reached impressive results. Sure, bands like Blink have done better, but the pop factor is not on the GD side (see point number 3). 

2) American Idiot has been a phenomenon, something extraordinary for its popularity and impact in pop culture and mass reactions, it renovated the fan base and created an incredible connection with a new generation of fans. Expecting to have something like that from a band 3 times in 22 yeas it's honestly too much. Most bands and artists don't reach this goal at all in their careers, and, personally, I find really hard to identify other contemporary bands born in the 80's/90's who had 2 records with an impact as the one gained by Dookie and AI.
And I honestly believe that right know with don't need another Green Day album with that impact, I just want good music, I'm happy if a record of my favorite band sells well, and RR is selling well, and I don't feel this necessity of having another phenomenon. The band has today a much stronger identity than the one they had after American Idiot, their musical path has been celebrated and awarded through the Rock and Roll Hall of fame, Grammys, Broadway shows, movies, documentaries, books etc. etc. Critic and public have received Revolution Radio strongly positively. The music is amazing, and they showed the solidity of the band through a self-production process and a big fuck you to the problems of the past. The fanbase is strong, I think not only the sales but also the overall reaction to the record (including concerts, forum discussions and so on) demonstrates this. 

3) Last but not least, I strongly believe Green Day has never been a poppish radio friendly super funny band, for sure less than other contemporary/often compared bands like Blink 182. They've always been a very popular rock band, that is something different. The rock genre is definitely not having a honeymoon right now, the RR numbers are very good seen from this perspective. 

I've just looked at the UK album chart, and there's been tonnes of new albums entering the chart in the last couple of weeks, and these albums have gone above Rev Rad.... this is why Rev Rad has dropped down the chart quite a bit, and it kind of makes it look like Rev Rad is doing badly when its not.

Of the albums that came out on the 7th of October, it is Rev Rad that is the highest in the chart- every other album that came out that week is even further down the chart. Maybe with Christmas around the corner it's a popular time of the year for albums to come out???

Rev Rad has done really well so far, there's nothing for people to be concerned about- let's just enjoy this exciting era in Green Day's history!!!!

4 hours ago, stories and songs said:

And looking at this article from early October, most sales have not been astronomical. Only 20 albums in 2016 had made it past 100,000 at that point: http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-albums-of-2016-so-far-revealed__14477/

2 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

You are correct.  YOu cannot compare sales now and in 2012.  The music industry has changed dramatically.  It seems to me that the album is doing pretty well.  

I'm comparing chart positions, not sales. However the fact that it is No. 18 in terms of album sales only, then that's better than Uno as back in 2012, chart positions were solely based on album sales and that was No. 26. It's just streaming/track sales where the album is disappointing

1 minute ago, MysticManiac said:

I'm comparing chart positions, not sales. However the fact that it is No. 18 in terms of album sales only, then that's better than Uno as back in 2012, chart positions were solely based on album sales and that was No. 26. It's just streaming/track sales where the album is disappointing

You can't compare chart positions either.  There were different circumstances and the music industry is very different.  The album is doing well compared to similar albums.  It isn't going to top Adele, or Ariana Grande or Drake, etc.  If you are thinking they are going to reach AI heights, that is probably not going to happen. 

Guys, I think what you say it's all right. It's that I always point out the negative side of things but I never say that RR debuted no.1 in a lot of countries and in the top 10 of most countries in the world, or BB has achieved honorable positions in various singles charts. Anyway I don't try to make numbers too serious. The only reason I listen to GD is their music and, oh, that's always their best.

I sometimes wish GD fans were more optimistic and could see the good side of things, not only the bad :lol: I mean, they made a number 1 album, didn't they? And even if album sales are lower, they are not only lower for GD, but for most artists these days. As many of you already said, the music industry of today is at least 2000 light years away from what it was in 2012, and especially 2004. Making a number 1 album is quite an achievement nowadays (maybe more than ever), because it means that people are willing to buy copies although they have millions of opportunities to listen to it for free. Plus, Bang Bang is doing great on the charts for weeks, that's great news, too!

Also I think RR has a totally different intention than the trilogy or than AI and 21CB had. It's much more intimate and personal, sometimes I feel like it's a gift to us fans rather than an attempt to be "big" and conquer the world again. That's what media is reading into the record, but I don't think it's what they intended. The whole record feels more like they wanted to tell us the true story of their past and of all the things we've been through together. If you don't know the story behind RR, you'll never be able to see (and feel!) the beauty of this record. That's what occured to me when I read the reviews in the last couple of weeks.

I'm so happy that they shared this gift with us and that they are successful with it. Maybe it's not the biggest commercial succes, but it sure is the greatest personal success I can think of.

Archived