Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

It should be about time for another single.   BANG BANG's been out two months and that's a good length of time between singles.  It worked for American Idiot and Broken Dreams.  

Time for a slow song!  

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still Breathing is obviously my first choice. I hope they'll release it soon (I'm hopeful since thatdude03 said in another thread that there will be its music video). Say Goodbye could do good things. If we compare the number of views on YouTube between Say Goodbye (released a week ago) and Ordinary World (released two weeks ago), today is quite the same: that's a good sign I guess. I can imagine on the radio a shorter version of Outlaws... Why not? Though, I've got a feeling that GD are going to release Youngblood. Don't know why but it wouldn't be ok IMHO.

Talking about RevRad: it's a superb album and it surely deserved a little bit more promotion. And let's be honest: its sales aren't the best in GD career. If we consider the Trilogy as a whole (counting just Uno), first week sales have always dropped since American Idiot (263k), then with 21st Century Breakdown (215k), Uno (139k) and Revolution Radio (95k). It's true that I'm pointing out the negative side, but that's what it comes to my mind right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were the songs not released on iTunes, prior to the album coming out, not all singles? Bang Bang/Revolution Radio/Still Breathing, or do they have to get a proper music video before they are classed as singles?  Maybe the AMA performance will result in a sales surge!!!

It's also just occurred to me that maybe the release date of October, was to make sure it has a better chance at the Grammys in 2018, as I'm sure the cut off date is the end of September, for next years Grammys.

I really wish they promoted the singles more. Like Revolution Radio and Still Breathing were both released at 11 PM CST (my time zone), with no warning. Obviously they both did fairly well, but I wish there was some sort of announcement to get people excited and what not

1 hour ago, CocaColaX said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were the songs not released on iTunes, prior to the album coming out, not all singles? Bang Bang/Revolution Radio/Still Breathing, or do they have to get a proper music video before they are classed as singles?  Maybe the AMA performance will result in a sales surge!!!

It's also just occurred to me that maybe the release date of October, was to make sure it has a better chance at the Grammys in 2018, as I'm sure the cut off date is the end of September, for next years Grammys.

Yes, the only official single is Bang Bang, because it has the music video. And what about Grammys, what are the chances for GD to win it for best rock album in 2018, according to you?

9 minutes ago, Ale7113 said:

Yes, the only official single is Bang Bang, because it has the music video. And what about Grammys, what are the chances for GD to win it for best rock album in 2018, according to you?

I don't think the fact that it has a music video means it is the only official single.  I think it depends on how much radio play each single gets.  Also, there is a strong rumor that the Still Breathing video is coming shortly.

Also, Bang Bang and Still Breathing as singles would be eligible for 2017 grammies, but Revolution Radio album not until 2018.  It's chances would depend on what else is released between now and Sept 30, 2017  

1 hour ago, Ale7113 said:

I think more the fact that GD announced that it was a single is what makes it an official single, more so than the music video

Wow. They're at the point where they couldn't even beat a Delonge-less blink album's opening week.

I won't be that arrogant fuck who says this band is over solely because their overall commercial presence has all but completely disapaited, but holy fuck, their overall commercial presence has really all but completely disapaited.

And on a slight side note, from what I've seen of their live performances, they still play tight as fuck from a technical perspective, but their enthusiasm seems pretty lacking. Especially Billie's. Could be I just caught an off performance. Could be getting up there in age is slowing them down. But damn, it seemed like it was a chore more than it was something they actually wanted to be doing. Perhaps the commercial slump from the trilogy carrying onto now is taking its toll. Like it did in the time between Warning and American Idiot. Guess time will tell...

25 minutes ago, Rob said:

And on a slight side note, from what I've seen of their live performances, they still play tight as fuck from a technical perspective, but their enthusiasm seems pretty lacking. Especially Billie's. Could be I just caught an off performance. Could be getting up there in age is slowing them down. But damn, it seemed like it was a chore more than it was something they actually wanted to be doing. Perhaps the commercial slump from the trilogy carrying onto now is taking its toll. Like it did in the time between Warning and American Idiot. Guess time will tell...

I agree. Their enthusiasm waned from my point of view. During the live perfomances guys seem to be really exhausted, especially Tre

2 hours ago, greenalert997x said:

I agree. Their enthusiasm waned from my point of view. During the live perfomances guys seem to be really exhausted, especially Tre

Yeah, Trè looks so old and depressed...

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Wow. They're at the point where they couldn't even beat a Delonge-less blink album's opening week.

I won't be that arrogant fuck who says this band is over solely because their overall commercial presence has all but completely disapaited, but holy fuck, their overall commercial presence has really all but completely disapaited.

You can't expect a band to make something as epic as AI, followed by medicare music, and expect the public to give them a second chance after each album. 21st Century largely failed compared to AI. After that, the trilogy happened and the GD boat sailed, as far as commercial performance goes. GD will always have fans that want to hear Dookie, AI, etc. but not many of the general music audience gives a fuck anymore.

7 minutes ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

21st Century largely failed compared to AI. 

The 21st CB era was brilliant. Not all of fans love this album but thanks to 21 Guns or KNE they've gained thousands of die-hard fans and I'm one of those ;D In my opinion this album is the best thing they could do after AI to keep the attention and popularity 

11 minutes ago, greenalert997x said:

The 21st CB era was brilliant. Not all of fans love this album but thanks to 21 Guns or KNE they've gained thousands of die-hard fans and I'm one of those ;D In my opinion this album is the best thing they could do after AI to keep the attention and popularity 

To the casual music fans, AI had many radio-friendly hits that exposed GD to a wide demographic (young, old, military, political, etc.). 21st, while certainly not a nail in GD's coffin, had more of a limited appeal to music fans. Apart from 21 Guns and maybe Know Your Enemy, there really weren't any chart-busting songs that appeal to the general public. Also, for many, AI was their first GD album. When you hear successive albums becoming (subjectively) worse and worse, you abandon ship. The result is only hardcore fans buy albums and genuinely support the band.

1 minute ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

To the casual music fans, AI had many radio-friendly hits that exposed GD to a wide demographic (young, old, military, political, etc.). 21st, while certainly not a nail in GD's coffin, had more of a limited appeal to music fans. Apart from 21 Guns and maybe Know Your Enemy, there really weren't any chart-busting songs that appeal to the general public. Also, for many, AI was their first GD album. When you hear successive albums becoming (subjectively) worse and worse, you abandon ship. The result is only hardcore fans buy albums and genuinely support the band.

That's what is really happening (i pointed out the decrease in 1st week sales in another post some days ago). I completely agree with you.

I think its increasingly obvious that GD aren't as bothered about how well the do commercially as what they used to be. They aren't doing this to make money... they're all multi-millionaires. Look at how they reacted when they got number one in the UK (''To have a chart-topping album at this stage of our career is especially gratifying''), I think this tells you that they know that the most commercial days of their careers are over. There are two main reasons why GD are still performing:

1: They still enjoy playing together

2: The hardcore fans still want more music/performances from them

Well the album got in a higher position than last week in Greece ! 6 - 3

2 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

I think its increasingly obvious that GD aren't as bothered about how well the do commercially as what they used to be. They aren't doing this to make money... they're all multi-millionaires. Look at how they reacted when they got number one in the UK (''To have a chart-topping album at this stage of our career is especially gratifying''), I think this tells you that they know that the most commercial days of their careers are over. There are two main reasons why GD are still performing:

3: They're still making good music;)

13 minutes ago, Δημήτρης Γκότσης said:

3: They're still making good music

I think they'll never make bad music.

12 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

But releasing a trilogy is expensive, not only for the record label but also for the band. Factor in recording costs, mixing and editing costs, promotion costs, etc. and you have a monumental pile of money you need to make to recoup the investment. GD can't just ignore all that, and state sales don't matter anymore.

Also, GD got nominated into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame at a young age. I believe that Reprise probably thought GD still had "shelf life" in terms of commercial performance and sales left, so they pushed the band to be inducted.

A lot of the youtube videos show the band looking bored and tired. It's almost like they don't want to be there. Yeah, there are moments and concerts where the energy and passion is still there, but that "fire" seems to have fizzled out.

9 minutes ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

But releasing a trilogy is expensive, not only for the record label but also for the band. Factor in recording costs, mixing and editing costs, promotion costs, etc. and you have a monumental pile of money you need to make to recoup the investment. GD can't just ignore all that, and state sales don't matter anymore.

Also, GD got nominated into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame at a young age. I believe that Reprise probably thought GD still had "shelf life" in terms of commercial performance and sales left, so they pushed the band to be inducted.

A lot of the youtube videos show the band looking bored and tired. It's almost like they don't want to be there. Yeah, there are moments and concerts where the energy and passion is still there, but that "fire" seems to have fizzled out.

I'm sad I'm so young cause I couldn't see the energy of GD in their first and middle ages (especially AI and 21CB). I'm going to my first GD concert in January and I hope they will make shivers...

3 minutes ago, Ale7113 said:

I'm sad I'm so young cause I couldn't see the energy of GD in their first and middle ages (especially AI and 21CB). I'm going to my first GD concert in January and I hope they will make shivers...

GD is still GD. I mean there's still magic to be seen and heard. 

45 minutes ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

I wasn't referring to the trilogy in my post, I was talking about right now with Rev Rad. Of course sales figures will still matter to them- the sales figures for Rev Rad so far have been quite good considering the trilogy/meltdown/their age/the number of streaming sites.

With the Trilogy/Billies meltdown, Brit & Jason White's cancer battles, etc, etc, I think GD are grateful that they can now get on with their music.

40 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

I think its increasingly obvious that GD aren't as bothered about how well the do commercially as what they used to be. They aren't doing this to make money... they're all multi-millionaires. 

Right! If they were trying to make money they'd do something absolutely obnoxious like sell $400 sandwiches. Oh wait... 

I can see how they look a bit "bored" doing promotional events/interviews. However didn't they always used to be like that for promotional events? I did watch a few from the previous eras but not enough to compare to how they are now.

However from a show I saw recently along with videos that people posted from the club shows I thought they looked like they were really enjoying themselves, seemed happy to perform for fans and sounded really refreshed.

They also seemed very humbled that RevRad debuted at #1. No matter what, to be relevant for almost 30 years now is not easy at all. They might not be producing top 40 radio hits like they used to, they might not have as much people stream their music as other pop stars do but I think their live shows speak for themselves. Many pop artist have songs that are constantly played in the radio but they can't play arenas like GD (or they have to co-headline like Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas)

Archived