Revolution Radio

Fuzz

16 minutes ago, Clayish said:

What are they going to say about it? We live in a troubled world? That's such a corny/unoriginal idea.

It could also be a beautiful and touching song, who knows? It isn't the first song about the attack, but these are still almost unexplored issues inside the contemporary music. I would not call it unoriginal without even hearing it.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Clayish said:

What are they going to say about it? We live in a troubled world? That's such a corny/unoriginal idea.

theres nothing new under the sun... 

6 minutes ago, J a c said:

It could also be a beautiful and touching song, who knows? It isn't the first song about the attack, but these are still almost unexplored issues inside the contemporary music. I would not call it unoriginal without even hearing it.

I'm just guessing here, maybe they find a way to make it work. I'm just not very excited in hearing Green Day's thoughts on this type of event. I wasn't thrilled with the gun violence/shooter concept of Bang Bang, either.

20 minutes ago, Clayish said:

I find it concerning when they say that some of the songs on the album are about the chaos and fear in the world. I just can't see them having anything new to say. And if it'll be rephrased news headlines then I'll be disappointed, at least from a lyrical point of view. And I feel this concern from the fact that Bang Bang is lyrically pretty much news headlines stated in a Tumblr friendly manner. I understand the meaning of the song, how it's about the mass shooter's psyche, but what is the song's purpose? Why did they feel compelled to write this song, what's new about it that we haven't seen on the news yet?

I still enjoy the track very much, but I hope that the rest of the songs on Revolution Radio will explore the world's issues in a deeper sense, not just as copied news headlines written in catchy, retweetable phrases.

As for the Paris attacks song, a part of me feels like it's not tasteful. Too soon might partially be why.

3 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Lol how typical.

gottta be deeper and deeper content we are never happy enough man!

9 minutes ago, Clayish said:

I'm just guessing here, maybe they find a way to make it work. I'm just not interested in hearing Green Day's thoughts on this type of event.

Ok, I get your point, I'm a bit scared too, I don't want a banal song about that. But I think this could be really interesting since that event touched so violently, for the first time in the West, a music environment, people like them and us. We will see.

6 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

I find it concerning when they say that some of the songs on the album are about the chaos and fear in the world. I just can't see them having anything new to say. And if it'll be rephrased news headlines then I'll be disappointed, at least from a lyrical point of view. And I feel this concern from the fact that Bang Bang is lyrically pretty much news headlines stated in a Tumblr friendly manner. I understand the meaning of the song, how it's about the mass shooter's psyche, but what is the song's purpose? Why did they feel compelled to write this song, what's new about it that we haven't seen on the news yet?

I still enjoy the track very much, but I hope that the rest of the songs on Revolution Radio will explore the world's issues in a deeper sense, not just as copied news headlines written in catchy, retweetable phrases.

I agree. I don't need more social commentary from this band, especially now. It's getting old, boring and honestly, comes off a little desperate.

Great avy, by the way.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

gottta be deeper and deeper content we are never happy enough man!

Ok, if you're happy with the lyrics, what's the purpose of Bang Bang then?

I think Billie thought that if he writes songs that reflect the events of the past year then people will see them as punks again. But that doesn't work with younger fans. They should write songs about love and growing up. They are great at those. No weird lyrics, no characters, just a normal song.

22 minutes ago, Clayish said:

I agree. I don't need more social commentary from this band, especially now. It's getting old, boring and honestly, comes off a little desperate.

Great avy, by the way.

Honestly I think the opposite. I always found the connection with social issues one of their most interesting characteristics, even before Warning, and I believe nowadays we need their point of view more than ever, artistically speaking. That doesn't mean they should only talk about guns and violence, the world is various and full of beautiful as well as shitty stuff. And as far as we know RevRad will touch lighter and harder points. 

6 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

I think Billie thought that if he writes songs that reflect the events of the past year then people will see them as punks again. But that doesn't work with younger fans. They should write songs about love and growing up. They are great at those. No weird lyrics, no characters, just a normal song.

And this is exactly what I don't want. Non spontaneously going back to lyrics about teenage dreams just because the young generations supposedly don't care about politics and society. And I believe this is not true too. 
By the way it's really sad if you believe everything they do is based on fan's opinions and commercial success. Maybe there are also emotions and spontaneity.

17 minutes ago, J a c said:

Honestly I think the opposite. I always found the connection with social issues one of their most interesting characteristics, even before Warning, and I believe nowadays we need their point of view more than ever, artistically speaking. That doesn't mean they should only talk about guns and violence, the world is various and full of beautiful as well as shitty stuff. And as far as we know RevRad will touch lighter and harder points. 

And this is exactly what I don't want. Non spontaneously going back to lyrics about teenage dreams just because the young generations supposedly don't care about politics and society. And I believe this is not true too. 
By the way it's really sad if you believe everything they do is based on fan's opinions and commercial success. Maybe there are also emotions and spontaneity.

Trilogy had emotions and was spontaneous and you people still hate it. Make your decision. The Trilogy songs were the right step forward. Every political song they'll make will be forced.

1 minute ago, Steven Seagull said:

Trilogy had emotions and was spontaneous and you people still hate it. Make your decision. The Trilogy songs were the right step forward. Every political song they'll make will be forced.

I don't hate the Trilogy, never said that, and I do think that was a mostly spontaneous project. As well as AI and almost all their songs. 

3 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Have you not read the Kerrang interview where they all talk about how totally natural and definitely not forced RR's creative process has been?

I think it would be hard for them to write about growing up and teenage angst now because they are middle-aged, married men with kids. If they tried to write about the same things they did when they were 15-18 years old it would come across as disingenuine and insincere. Besides they shouldn't make music just for the sake of getting new younger fans. They have fans of all ages and you don't want to lose them or alienate them either. The music needs to come from the heart and really mean something and I really hope it does on this new album.

Still writing a song about Paris TA just sounds like something any band could do. I also don't think that that specific TA needs a song. 

1 minute ago, Steven Seagull said:

Still writing a song about Paris TA just sounds like something any band could do. I also don't think that that specific TA needs a song. 

Any band can write a love song or a song about growing up. I'd rather hear something different than another love song

5 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

I also don't think that that specific TA needs a song. 

Anyone can write about anything, what matters is how you do it. But I'm really curious about this sentence: why? 

54 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

This is the entirely wrong way to look at song writing, it ignores hundreds of years of lyrics/poetry that are all of very much restatements of a common theme

58 minutes ago, Clayish said:

I'm just guessing here, maybe they find a way to make it work. I'm just not very excited in hearing Green Day's thoughts on this type of event. I wasn't thrilled with the gun violence/shooter concept of Bang Bang, either.

1 hour ago, Clayish said:

Good thing it was your idea, not their's :P

Seriously though, it is incredibly challenging to address social issues with both nuance and some level of originality, and Green Day has proven time and time again (from Warning to 21CB) that they are capable. Look, the last two political songs they released were 99 Revs and Bang Bang. The improvement is night and day, 99 Revs falls victim to what I think you guys are worried about, Bang Bang really doesn't. Say what you will about it's cohesiveness all the way through, but Bang Bang has far more nuance than 99 Revs. Also, if you found lyrics to Bang Bang on tumblr then I seriously question what kind of people you follow on tumblr :lol:

99revolutions was a great neutral song to me. It's catchy with a message that doesn't seem forced. I already said what I think about Bang Bang lyrics. If we do get a political song I would much rather get something like 99rev.

31 minutes ago, Z J said:

This is the entirely wrong way to look at song writing, it ignores hundreds of years of lyrics/poetry that are all of very much restatements of a common theme

Good thing it was your idea, not their's :P

Seriously though, it is incredibly challenging to address social issues with both nuance and some level of originality, and Green Day has proven time and time again (from Warning to 21CB) that they are capable. Look, the last two political songs they released were 99 Revs and Bang Bang. The improvement is night and day, 99 Revs falls victim to what I think you guys are worried about, Bang Bang really doesn't. Say what you will about it's cohesiveness all the way through, but Bang Bang has far more nuance than 99 Revs. Also, if you found lyrics to Bang Bang on tumblr then I seriously question what kind of people you follow on tumblr :lol:

Funny how they wanted a more "meaningful" song and get one and still bitch about it!

I'm hoping for more "inspirational" songs on #Revrad. Like, I want most of these songs to be "inspired."

5 minutes ago, ThoughtsandPrayers said:

I'm hoping for more "inspirational" songs on #Revrad. Like, I want most of these songs to be "inspired."

any song that has people relating to it on a deeper level is what I'm hoping for :D

• Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived