Revolution Radio

Fuzz

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, J a c said:

NME: Green Day say new song was inspired by Paris terror attacks

Green Day say a song on their new album ‘Revolution Radio’ was inspired by the Paris terror attacks last November.
Billie Joe Armstrong is friends with guitarist Eden Galindo, guitarist for Eagles Of Death Metal, who played at Paris club Bataclan where 95 of their fans were shot dead by terrorists.

The atrocity inspired the song ‘Troubled Times’. Armstrong told Q: “I don’t think anything like terrorism hit home right in our backyard the way it did that night. At first, I wrote it and thought ‘I don’t know if I want this on the album.’ It’s really heavy to write about and I didn’t want it to be trite or maudlin.”
The singer changed his mind following the Orlando terror attack on gay nightclub Pulse in June. He said: “When Orlando happened, I thought ‘Well, it makes perfect sense to put it on the record.’”

Armstrong also said he was surprised at how aggressive the album’s first single, ‘Bang Bang’, sounded. He said: “’Bang Bang’ is the most aggressive single we’ve ever had. I didn’t plan on it being that way. I don’t want to be the old guy saying ‘We’re going to show these young whippersnappers how it’s done.’ It was just ‘Fuck, this sounds really good.’”

this NME article actually was published on the latest Q Magazine

12 minutes ago, Alf said:

this NME article actually was published on the latest Q Magazine

Yes, it's also very similar to the new Kerrang article, but I couldn't find anything from Q, if someone has a scan it could be interesting to see if this is actually a brand new interview.

This is via RTE (Irish news). Again it's quoting from Q. I'll have to see if I can find a copy of Q in the shops. 

Green Day: new song inspired by Paris terror attacks

American punks Green Day say a song on their new album Revolution Radio was inspired by the Paris terror attacks of last November.

Singer and guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong is friends with Eden Galindo, a member of Eagles of Death Metal, who played at the Parisian club Bataclan where 95 fans were shot dead by terrorists.

Armstrong told Q that the atrocity inspired him to write the song Troubled Times: "I don't think anything like terrorism hit home right in our backyard the way it did that night.

"At first, I wrote it and thought 'I don’t know if I want this on the album.' It’s really heavy to write about and I didn't want it to be trite or maudlin."

But Armstrong added that, following the Orlando terror attack on gay nightclub Pulse in June, he had a change of heart about recording the song.

He said: "When Orlando happened, I thought: 'Well, it makes perfect sense to put it on the record.'"

Here's Green Day's current single, Bang Babg:

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/0824/811603-green-day-new-song-inspired-by-paris-terror-attacks/

I get a feeling like "Troubled Times" is really gonna nail it! Power to GD boys for bringing up such issues through their songwriting. 

On 21/8/2016 at 3:41 PM, Matt. said:

The Japanese Amazon store has the album listed with a bonus 13th track that is still to be determined. Not sure if they're just assuming they'll get a bonus track or if they know they will.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/レボリューション・レディオ-グリーン・デイ/dp/B01K947VC6

It's also available in the US Amazon store as an import: https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Radio-GREEN-DAY/dp/B01K947VC6/

Now, there's no bonus track on the Japanese Amazon :/

16 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

The trilogy wasn't a concept album at all 

Yeah but it wasn't a normal album either. It was a triple album, not a normal album, duh.

1 minute ago, punkangel said:

Yeah but it wasn't a normal album either. It was a triple album, not a normal album, duh.

Yeah it is a normal album 

According to that leaked tracklist that turned out to be right, Olivia was a hidden track, wasn't it? I'm really hoping that's still happening. Really like that song.

The fact that the Kerrang article says they're "dorky" talking about the album makes me so happy lol.

I'm so psyched about these songs. Amazing that they wrote about the Bataclan. I think it's great they're touching on such big issues.

Scans of the Q Magazine interview from the Facebook page Italian Rage and Love: 

Not very readable, but better than nothing :) 

I'll wander down to my local newsagent and get a copy of Q to scan. Pretty sure I saw it on the shelf when I bought Kerrang earlier.

3 hours ago, punkangel said:

Trilogy is not an album. Uno, Dos & Tre were albums and yes they were normal albums.

3 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Trilogy is not an album. Uno, Dos & Tre were albums and yes they were normal albums.

Together they formed a trilogy of albums and they were loosely topical so no, they weren't entirely normal albums.

Just now, Harry Potter. said:

Together they formed a trilogy of albums and they were loosely topical so no, they weren't entirely normal albums.

They are separate albums. We just use the name Trilogy because they were released so close together.

6 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Three normal albums that were sold separately that wasn't a concept album. I do not see how they can't see that. :lol: 

I'm really curious to hear Troubled Times. If they absolutely nail the lyrics, it might be their most powerful song ever (and probably the darkest). However it turns out, they were absolutely right to put it on the album, however difficult a subject it was to write about. It's what differentiates GD from other modern rock bands and I'm goddamn pleased they dare to reflect upon the dark and gloomy events of November 13.

Youngblood is enticing me too, as is Still Breathing. We've already heard Lazy Bones, but I think a reflective track about the predicament Billie went through during the Trilogy will be much more striking than a song written in the moment like Lazy Bones. Last but not least, Too Dumb To Die and Somewhere Now. I think the former will expand upon the autobiographical aspect of 21CB (song). Somewhere Now, as the opening track, will be representative of the album overall and segue us into the whole record. Concerning the title track, I'm expecting a song with the fire of Know Your Enemy and Horseshoes combined with the jubilant candor of Holiday. This is going to be one hell of an album. Their best? No. Their most popular? Almost certainly not. The most relevant album of 2016? Quite possibly and that matters most, both to the band and us.

2 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

They are separate albums. We just use the name Trilogy because they were released so close together.

Trilogy is not just a name that we use, it's what the three albums form together. Many songs are dealing with similar themes and the titles and cover art connect all three albums. Of course they are three separate albums, just like The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers and The Return of the King are separate, but together they're a trilogy.

5 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

I wouldn't call the trilogy normal albums because no one has really ever done what they did before. It's far from normal.

FALSE a lot of people have done it Robyn E-40 (who released 6 albums on the same day...) K-Rino etc GD are very far from being the first... even Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 and the single disc combo all released 

6 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

I wouldn't call the trilogy normal albums because no one has really ever done what they did before. It's far from normal.

Theres a special topic made for trilogy discussion. Youre welcome

1 minute ago, Jake69 said:

Wow, I didn't know you were a mod.

Well thats what the rules of the website says. You do like to obey mods, dont ya?

Not really excited about a song inspired by the Paris attack. We'll see what they're going for on that one.

3 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

Why not? Too soon?

What are they going to say about it? We live in a troubled world? That's such a corny/unoriginal idea.

• Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived