Revolution Radio

Fuzz

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

Come on - you clicked the link. 

But I didn't pretend to read it, I just wanted to look at the pretty pictures

I understand a bit of Italian. He didn't say anything we didn't know already. I think he called republicans a racist party. He said the sound is more raw, Too Dumb To Die is about his father. The album started after that protest. He said why the wrong people are dying. Lemmy, Prince...

20 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

I understand a bit of Italian. He didn't say anything we didn't know already. I think he called republicans a racist party. He said the sound is more raw, Too Dumb To Die is about his father. The album started after that protest. He said why the wrong people are dying. Lemmy, Prince...

I think it's an interesting interview if you care of what he talks about. It's not a copy and paste article from other interviews. 

I don't know Italian either but here's a translated version from google translate :thumbsup: :

After detoxification Billie Joe Armstrong is back with the band. "Revolution Radio" is the album inspired by the race riots in the United States

SAN FRANCISCO - "Who can save us now? Only Sophia Loren." After giving the "fucking Hitler" the Republican candidate Donald Trump, the frontman of Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong, 44, he invites young people to hope adjusting a brooch on his chest. proudly bears the still picture of Loren in Vittorio De Sica's film, The Gold of Naples: "I love the Italian cinema and Sophia Loren is an honorary citizen of the punk rock".
Anticipated by the song Bang Bang - played "by the crosshairs of a sniper, to tell the theater of shootings in the US" - Armstrong, Mike Dirnt and Tré Cool, 65 million copies worldwide, publish on October 7 the album Revolution Radio after four years. political concept? "There is no time for the" concept. "We live between sciamannati right and left," says Billie Joe. "It takes an ode to rebellion against the former empire."

They wrote: "Nothing more Democrats against Republicans. Now the match is normal versus abnormal." Think so too?

"It is an America upside down. The Conservative Party has struggled to accept someone like Trump, let's face it. In the past there was always a small room reserved for racists, bigots and the ignorant. Today, with his candidate, the racists they came from lamp. I call it the Party of Racism. See the lapel pin of Loren? at the convention pins with insults to Hillary Clinton rained. That fate mocking Trump is so extreme as to make it look like Hillary a conservative. in two years the liberals Americans They make a conscientious bell'esamino. "
Green Day, the revolution is October 7: get 'Revolution Radio'

Where did the inspiration for the album come from?

"Two years ago, in Manhattan, I came home and I was stuck in traffic. It was a protest march after the verdict of the Grand Jury of Staten Island on the case Eric Garner. The country was once again contend with young African Americans killed by police ".

It is on the march?

"To those who abuse social media, always glued to the phone. The desire to police the world at all costs is a bad addiction. And I addictions I mean ... Nobody gives no privacy. There dazed with" The punk is dead. "But what punk! Privacy is dead."

"They told me that the protest was" only for young people. "I am still young, I want to face the new generations who discover Green Day the first time. I mixed the herd, I played drums, the bongo, while the students repeated "No Justice, No Peace" ".

From the debut album, "39 / Smooth", the boom of "Dookie" to this day, as it changed its way of composing?

"The sound is more raw. Bang Bang, a bit 'eastwoodiana, speaks of mass shootings. It lacks a law that a more stringent regulations on the arms trade. My goal is to reflect on the political confusion without launching slogans. I am sad, not pissed off. "

Who would win a guitar in your face?

"To those who abuse social media, always glued to the phone. The desire to police the world at all costs is a bad addiction. And I addictions I mean ... Nobody gives no privacy. There dazed with" The punk is dead. "But what punk! Privacy is dead."

It missed the privacy when screwing in rehab for substance abuse?

"If my drop is of help to someone, especially to teenagers, I'm happy. Detoxify and heal has made me rediscover the passion for poetry and changed my language. When I talk to other arrival time straight to the point without circled around".

How has your life changed since then?

"It's a good time. I feel determined. I've never been so happy and so focused. Surviving is my favorite record."

"Too dumb to die", too dumb to die, sings a new song.

"It is a song dedicated to my youth. In Oakland walked out into the street to clean car windshields to buy the grass to smoke with friends. The person I'm most proud of in the family is my father. One type all pickets and protests , always in the square among the workers. it was not a military or a punk. He was a man who was trying to do the right thing, for his Billie Joe ".

His musical influences have changed?

"Who sings he's gone on January 10: the death of David Bowie shook me. And we also lost Prince and Lemmy from Motörhead. Because they always die the wrong people?".

As Green Day celebrate the fortieth anniversary of punk?

"" Punk "for me means looking young people find their way, in a garage or on YouTube, in electronics or in the country. I will celebrate by listening to Otis Rush and Lead Belly, because the blues is the real punks who have left."

Here's a translation I made. I hope it's at least more readable than the google translation :D 

Green Day: “No more drugs, now we fight for justice”
After the rehab Billie Joe Armstrong comes back with his band. 
“Revolution Radio” is an album inspired by the racial fights in the U.S.

“Who can save us? Only Sophia Loren can do it.” After calling the Republican nominee Donald Trump a “fucking Hitler”, the Green Day’s frontman Billie Joe Armstrong, 44 years old, invites the young generations to have hope, putting a pin on his chest. It proudly shows an image of Sophia Loren, from the Vittorio De Sica’s movie “L’oro di Napoli”: “I love the Italian cinema and Sophia Loren is a honorary citizen of punk rock”.
Anticipating it with the single “Bang Bang” - "played from the perspective of “a sniper’s gunsight, to recount the shooting’s show in the U.S.” - Armstrong, Mike Dirnt and Tré Cool, 65 millions copies sold in the world, are going to publish “Revolution Radio” October 7th, after a 4 years break. 
A political concept album? “The time for “concepts” is over, we live among assholes of right and left”, says Billie Joe. “What we need is a rebellion anthem against the old empire”.

Someone said: “No more democrats against republicans. Now the match is normal VS. abnormal”. Do you think the same?
This is a messed up America. Let’s be honest, the conservative party had hard times to accept someone like Trump. In the past there was always a small room reserved for racists, bigots and morons. Nowadays, with him as presidential candidate, the racists are out of the bottle. I call it the “Racism Party”. Do you see the Loren’s pin? At the conventions pins with insults directed to Hilary Clinton were everywhere. What a mocking fate: Trump is so extreme to make Hilary Clinton looks like a conservative. In two years the American liberals will have to do a deep examination of conscience.

Where does the inspiration of “Revolution Radio” comes from?
Two years ago, in Manhattan, I was stuck in traffic coming back home. There was a protest march after the verdict of the Grand Jury of Staten Island, on the Eric Garner case. The country was facing again young African Americans killed by police.

Did you join the march?
I was told that the protest was "only for young people." But I'm still young, I want to face the new generations who discover Green Day for the first time. I joined the crowd, I played drums, bongos, while the students were repeating “No justice, no peace”. 

From your first record, 39/Smooth, passing by the Dookie's explosion and arriving today, how’s your composition method changed? 
The sound is more raw. Bang Bang, a song a bit eastwoodian, is about mass shooting. We miss a more straighten regulation on arms trade. My goal is to reflect on the political mess without speaking by slogan. I’m sad, not mad.

To whom would you throw a guitar in the face?
To those who abuse of social media, always glued at their smartphones. If you want to control the world at any cost, that is a bad addiction. And I mean, I should know about addictions… no one cares about privacy. They always told us “Punk is dead”. Punk? Privacy is dead!

Did you miss privacy when you were in rehab?
If my fall will help someone, especially teenagers, I will be happy. Detox myself and heal made me rediscover my passion for poetry and changed my language. Now, when I talk with someone, I go straight to the point, without getting around it. 

How is your life changed since then? 
This is a positive moment. I feel determined. I’ve never been so happy and concentrate. To survive is my favorite record. 

You sing “Too dumb to die” on a new song.
It’s a song about my youth. In Oakland you went out on the street, to clean car glasses or buy some weed to smoke with your friends. The person of my family I’m most proud of is my father. A guy always on picket lines and protests, always on the street with workers. He wasn’t a soldier, neither a punk. He was a man trying to do the right thing, for his Billie Joe. 

Did your musical influences changed?
Who matters died the 10th of January: the dead of David Bowie shocked me. And we lost also Prince and Lemmy from Motörhead. Why are always the wrong people those who die?

How will Green Day celebrate the 40th anniversary of Punk?
Punk to me means to look at the young generations, while they're finding their paths, inside a garage or on YouTube, through country or electronic music. I will celebrate listening to Otis Rush and Lead Belly, because Blues is the true Punk we have left.

Thanks for the article, but something about that article just doesn't feel right.  Maybe it is the translation, and I could be wrong, but I don't think Billie was stuck in traffic for the March.  I thought it went past his apartment.  Plus, people that live in Manhattan generally don't drive in Manhattan.  I can't see a protest March telling someone they are too old to join the march.  Plus, Billie never said that they told him he couldn't join before.  

I don't know, why would he do an interview for Rolling STone, Kerrang and an Italian magazine.  This just seems odd   

3 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Thanks for the article, but something about that article just doesn't feel right.  Maybe it is the translation, and I could be wrong, but I don't think Billie was stuck in traffic for the March.  I thought it went past his apartment.  Plus, people that live in Manhattan generally don't drive in Manhattan.  I can't see a protest March telling someone they are too old to join the march.  Plus, Billie never said that they told him he couldn't join before.  

I don't know, why would he do an interview for Rolling STone, Kerrang and an Italian magazine.  This just seems odd   

That's what the article says. Actually also on the RS interview they write "Two years ago, Billie Joe Armstrong was driving into Manhattan when he came across a throng of protesters. Outraged by a Missouri grand jury’s decision not to indict a police officer for the killing of Michael Brown, they filled the streets and backed up traffic for miles. Armstrong was inspired. "I got out of my car and marched with the people," he says. "It was a trip to see people rebel against the old order."

6 minutes ago, J a c said:

That's what the article says. Actually also on the RS interview they write "Two years ago, Billie Joe Armstrong was driving into Manhattan when he came across a throng of protesters. Outraged by a Missouri grand jury’s decision not to indict a police officer for the killing of Michael Brown, they filled the streets and backed up traffic for miles. Armstrong was inspired. "I got out of my car and marched with the people," he says. "It was a trip to see people rebel against the old order."

OK, I thought he had said in the past that he was in his apartment and saw the march.  

Just now, JJ1964 said:

OK, I thought he had said in the past that he was in his apartment and saw the march.  

By the way, I don't think they built the whole part about Sophia Loren from nothing. This is a quite trustworthy newspaper, usually. From what we've gathered through social media, it seems like they're talking with press during these days. Maybe this is just one of the first articles to appear on the web. 

4 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

Well they did do an interview with this guy and he is Italian.

I think he's from Argentina, but yes, I guess they're doing interviews with international press too. 

Thanks for the article and translations! Interesting tidbits there, especially the bit about his dad.

3 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

Billie is on the Rolling Stone podcast this week - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rolling-stone-music-now/id1078431985?mt=2

Wow, really cool! Thank you! In the Italian iTunes store is not yet downloadable, but it's also available for everyone right here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/music-now-podcast-billie-joe-armstrong-on-green-days-new-lp-w435701

6 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

Billie is on the Rolling Stone podcast this week - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rolling-stone-music-now/id1078431985?mt=2

It's just the interview with Rolling Stone from last week, but still good to hear him talk.

Does he still say "Ya know" after every other word when he talks or is he past that?

1 minute ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

Does he still say "Ya know" after every other word when he talks or is he past that?

They're still there! Not every other word anymore, but they're still around haha.

Idk if this was in the article - Still Breathing follows the life of a gambler and junkie, then a life of a single mother, then the life of a soldier and is about how everyone is intertwined. 

The old hippie guru guy who supposedly teaches bass to Mike it's the best :D 

3 hours ago, J a c said:

"Now, when I talk with someone, I go straight to the point, without getting around it."

Did your musical influences changed?
Who matters died the 10th of January: the dead of David Bowie shocked me. And we lost also Prince and Lemmy from Motörhead. Why are always the wrong people those who die?

Ironic how he dodged this question, considering how he mentioned he gets straight to the point now.

3 hours ago, J a c said:

Thank you for the interview and translation! It's very interesting.

1 hour ago, Clockwise said:

It's just the interview with Rolling Stone from last week, but still good to hear him talk.

I enjoyed listening to the podcast but I was somewhat bummed when the hosts said the album wasn't ambitious... I know what they meant, that it isn't a rock opera or a series of multiple albums, but it still stung. :ermm:

Yes, the podcast was teh Rolling Stone interview.   It was interesting, I can't tell what the hosts thought about the album.  There is a possibility they weren't thrilled with it.  It could be they were just trying to report it and not give an opinion.  

Thanks for the translation! I really loved that interview. I can't exactly put my finger on it but the snotty punkiness of his old interviews seems to be a thing of past. He's becoming classier. 

• Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived