Revolution Radio

Fuzz

4 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

Still Breathing has grown on me like 500%. Amazing!

In context of the full album it fits so, so well. Listening to it among all the other songs somehow makes it even more emotional. Not sure why, but it hits me every time.

Also, can I just say how rad it is that this album is already in the Top 5 Green Day albums for a lot of folks? That's really impressive.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the album might be growing on me. While I maintain some mixed feelings, I am starting to perceive it more as a united whole and things are starting to make more sense.

1 minute ago, stories and songs said:

In context of the full album it fits so, so well. Listening to it among all the other songs somehow makes it even more emotional. Not sure why, but it hits me every time.

Also, can I just say how rad it is that this album is already in the Top 5 Green Day albums for a lot of folks? That's really impressive.

I agree!

You could say it's...RevRad :cool: but, yes, I was quite surprised at that, considering the mixed reception at the start!

9 hours ago, Tinkle said:

Have we had @Z J's tick of approval yet???

I hope you know I don't think that highly of my own opinion :P

and alas, I haven't heard the album yet! 

4 hours ago, Bakabanas said:

P.S. This album, like Bang Bang and Revolution Radio, sounds good when you're drunk (tested). 

I need more posts from this guy

somewhere now is actually great ,it grows on you unless you are team hate operas or some shit;)

Too dumb to die chorus is amazing.Verses are ok and all but when he starts the chorus i can actually like it.

Actually every song is still as catchy as other GD songs,it's just this time they take some time to catch :)  it's been few days and the only song i don't remember is forever now. and i'm pretty sure if i just pay attention, it'll get stuck in my head too. 

I even found myself murmuring "youuung blooood youuung bloood" and it's so far from being one of my favorites. Just keep calm and wait for songs to catch you. 

9 minutes ago, Z J said:

I hope you know I don't think that highly of my own opinion :P

and alas, I haven't heard the album yet! 

I need more posts from this guy

The people need you to hurry up and listen to it already, so we know if we should buy it or not :P

12 minutes ago, Eric said:

The people need you to hurry up and listen to it already, so we know if we should buy it or not :P

I'm attempting to hold out until Green Day officially release it

Unrelated note, but watching the live video of Bang Bang is pure magic. As the song went on they got stronger, tighter, and by the end the camera got a beautiful angle of Billie and Mike in perfect synch. The same pose, the same swagger, the same snarl, and those beautiful harmonies that always came in right on time. So, so special, this band. 

I think I interrupt the whole idea of somewhere now and especially it's chorus as being inspired by the rock n roll hall of fame ceremony. It's a classic rock riff so fitting for the subject matter and what it was inspired by and the chorus part about we all die in threes sounds like he's referring to the other celebrities and musicians who had struggled with addiction. I think billie said in his acceptance speech or someone else there said its like a huge AA meeting 

17 minutes ago, Eric said:

Then you better start wishing for October 7 to come around sooner. Because I ain't going to check it out until that day :cool:

I guess I'm in the minority being that Youngblood is one of my favorites right now? It's so cute and catchy. And it's about Adrienne :D

Personal Top 10 Green Day Albums:

1. Nimrod 10/10
2. Dookie 10/10
3. 21st Century Breakdown 9/10
4. American Idiot 9/10
5. Revolution Radio 8/10
6. Insomniac 8/10
7. Kerplunk 7/10
8. Warning 7/10
9. Tré 6.5/10
10. 1039/ Smoothed Out Slappy Hours 6/10

also, RevRad is already a topic at Metacritic w/ 3 reviews:

Q Magazine: 80
Uncut: 70
Mojo: 60

anyone else is surprised with Uncut's rating? they use to give Green Day bad reviews!

38 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

I guess I'm in the minority being that Youngblood is one of my favorites right now? It's so cute and catchy. And it's about Adrienne :D

I'm with you! Super cute. "She's the cedar in the trees of Minnesota" is just lovely as well.

On 9/27/2016 at 7:57 AM, Sixtrix said:

I'm just reading through these posts just to get an idea of how the album is being received by everyone.
Kind of feels like I'm the only fan left that didn't listen to the album yet. But reading the reactions makes me think more and more that they once again delivered a solid record. Still trying not to get my hopes up too much though.

It's okay, I'm limiting myself to listening to the whole thing when I get the vinyl and can get inebriated to enjoy it.

So far I've allowed myself to listen to about half of the album, being tracks 1-4, then 7 and 8.

I'm especially looking forward to the ones I haven't listened to yet, but I'm doing my best to hold out.

So far I'm loving every song.

As with everything, I didn't over-hype myself. I simply let myself be excited that a new Green Day album was coming, and that regardless it would be a Green Day album.

What this record means to them and to us I think is what makes it so grand to me.

I hope you enjoy it when you listen to it!

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I'm with you! Super cute. "She's the cedar in the trees of Minnesota" is just lovely as well.

Yesss that's my favorite line!

2 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Also on this train! I allowed myself to listen to it this morning and my goodness, it's gorgeous.

At first I was totally disappointed by this record, specially with the production techniques, but I think I might got over it.

Are we allowed to post the chords of the songs? I've been playing over them and have most of them nearly done.

10 minutes ago, j3sus0fsuburbia said:

What this record means to them and to us I think is what makes it so grand to me.

Same. That's a huge part of it. American Idiot was special because it's how I was introduced to the band. 21CB was special because it was my first time experiencing the release of a new Green Day album. And this one is special because it's just...important for even existing. This album is so markedly them and fits so well into who they are as a band right now, looking back on past work, some tough life experiences, and so many accomplishments. This album could've never happened. I don't take that for granted for a second. The fact that they're still here and we're still here is very meaningful, and these songs are a phenomenal reflection of all of that. I'm so proud to love these guys.

By the way, I admire your self control in only listening to some songs. I keep telling myself that I'm cutting myself off this Friday to build anticipation for the 7th, but I'm not sure how well that will go. :lol:

Does anyone else think the solo in too dumb to die needs to be longer? It feels like it ends too early and should be twice as long as is. Great song though.

16 minutes ago, Rafael Bonanno Lage said:

also, RevRad is already a topic at Metacritic w/ 3 reviews:

Q Magazine: 80
Uncut: 70
Mojo: 60

anyone else is surprised with Uncut's rating? they use to give Green Day bad reviews!

"Armstrong continues to lean on lyrical phrases that sound clever but don't say much. Still, the album includes several strong character sketches."

Ouch, but it's exactly what we said.

22 hours ago, steve56 said:

As a 20+ year Green Day fan I am sad to say this is the first thing they have ever done that I don't like.    The three songs Bang Bang, Rev Radio, and Still Breathing are cool but the entire rest of the album is a giant waste of time.   No idea what they were thinking with this at all.  By FAR the worst thing they have ever released.    Pre-ordered it obviously to add to the collection but I will just be shelving it when it comes in the mail.   

As a fellow 20+ year fan, I'm sorry you feel this way. I mean, the only thing I can think of is that you don't want them to grow as song writers. I personally believe that this album is the best thing they have done...but I can see why you don't like it if you are expecting 3 chord songs about drugs, alcohol, or masturbation.

18 hours ago, Clayish said:

Still Breathing, Too Dumb to Die & Troubled Times are the only real stinkers on here. This is a decent Green Day record.

Can't understand why people say that about Still Breathing. It's my favorite song Green Day has ever written...and it's by a pretty wide margin too.

@Z J listen to the fucking album!!!!!!! You promised me you were going to the other night :(

Finally, my ranking of their albums:

1. Revolution Radio

2. American Idiot/21st Century Breakdown

3. Warning/Insomniac/Trilogy

4. Dookie

5. Nimrod

6. 1,039

7. Kerplunk

In my opinion, Forever Now switches up too much to be truly special/memorable. Some parts are fine, some parts are worthless, and the resulting song isn't focused enough.

i just finished with hearing the album 

new album ranking : 

somwhere now : very good except when drums at the end 

bang bang : fast song reminds me of jimmy st

rev rad : (i like very much )

say good bye : like fall out boy if it made good songs 

outlaws : i really not like it very "slugish"

bouncing of the wall : .......obv filler

still breathing (single) : i dont know why but it reminds me of the simple plan style

youngblood : like she is a rebel but the lyrics dumb and quircky

TDTD die: FAVORITE !!!!!!!

trouble time : slow i dont like it bad so low

forever now : i only like first part but after it like they're american idiot (2005)

ordinary world : i really dont like this one its like theyre trying to do an acoustic song 

overall the album is really good better than i thought at first , really a shame it was leaked people say production is bad but i dont mind it !!!

1. Warning

2. American Idiot/21st CB

4. Dookie/Nimrod

6. RevRad/Kerplunk/Insomniac

9. 39/Smooth/Uno

11. Dos/Tre

Oh, go on then.

1) Dookie

2) Insomniac

3) AI

4) RevRad

5) Nimrod

6) Warning

7) Kerplunk

8) 21st CB

9) 1039/Smooth

10) Trilogy (Not going to bother to differentiate them, they're poor on the whole).

I'm just so thrilled with RevRad after the trilogy mess. My love for Green Day is reignited with a passion!

Archived