Green Day in the studio 2016

ozoneplayer

they could potentially be capturing the reverb in a bathroom or hallway. It's quite a common thing. They could be sending sound through a speaker in a bathroom and capturing the sound of it in the room with a microphone. It makes sense to me because hallways and bathrooms usually have quite an interesting reverb. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say early 2017 at most. Why would they spend one year and a half in the studio?

To make American Idiot.

Maybe the lack of photo/video updates recently is indicative of them spending less time in-studio. They have to be done tracking primary instruments by now, you'd think.

3 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

To make American Idiot

They actually didn't take so long. I don't think they'll have their new album stolen again.

4 minutes ago, DannyDirnt said:

They actually didn't take so long. I don't think they'll have their new album stolen again.

Are you counting the time they spent doing the Network record? I had heard a few of those songs in August '03, and that album had to take take at least a few months. So it was very close to a year and a half when all was said and done.

12 minutes ago, DannyDirnt said:

It took them 7 months to record AI

The AEA R88s are stereo ribbon mics. Most likely they would be using them for piano or drums, but it could be something else.

I must say I have underestimated GDC when I predicted the album would have been announced by page 140. :P

12 minutes ago, Nuclear Family said:

The AEA R88s are stereo ribbon mics. Most likely they would be using them for piano or drums, but it could be something else.

My thought is that they're probably room mics.  Would correlate with the bathroom and hallway labels as well.

Just now, Second favourite son said:

My thought is that they're probably room mics.  Would correlate with the bathroom and hallway labels as well.

What are room mics used for?

1 minute ago, Sixtrix said:

It's used together with a close mic to record a number of things, and it increases the dimension of the sound since it picks up the natural reverb etc.  It's often used for recording rhythm guitar actually.

17 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

I must say I have underestimated GDC when I predicted the album would have been announced by page 140. :P

What do you expect with at least 3 pages dedicated to the accordian.

My Aussie source knew they were in the studio months back & also knew about the tour.  You would think if they had tour plans they would have needed to tentatively book venues. Im not sure how that process works though.

1 hour ago, JJ1964 said:

It took them 7 months to record AI

And by 7 months do you mean 11 months and 8 days?   Because that's how long it actually took.   Maybe I missed something though, I just sort of jumped in and have no idea where that conversation started.   My bad.  

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 3:03 PM, Dakke said:

I assume they are far along if they are recording horns and stuff. Besides, BJ has told a fan the album will arrive in the fall. Before september we will have an announcement

Could be Fall 2016, 2017, 2020.  

1 hour ago, localinsomniac said:

Are you counting the time they spent doing the Network record? I had heard a few of those songs in August '03, and that album had to take take at least a few months. So it was very close to a year and a half when all was said and done.

No, I was just counting the time they took to record the album. But I guess this one will be released "when it's fucking ready".

54 minutes ago, Sixtrix said:

They did it on the trilogy too, I remember reading in a magazine article with an engineer (maybe Chris D). For the guitars, they mic'd right up on the cabinet and then placed mics all over the room to capture the different sounds of the room. In post, they adjusted the timing so that the natural delay (speed of sound) was in time with the mic that was up against the cabinet.

Room mics wouldn't be in a bathroom or a hallway I think. They would be in the room in which the drums/guitar/any other instrument is being recorded to capture the sound of the instrument within that environment. 

7 minutes ago, matteo263 said:

Room mics wouldn't be in a bathroom or a hallway I think. They would be in the room in which the drums/guitar/any other instrument is being recorded to capture the sound of the instrument within that environment. 

I imagined by @Matt.'s comment they could be recording in those rooms (at least the instruments who would actually fit there?)

I seriously doubt it to be honest. bathrooms and hallways are just not good recording environments, the sound would be too reverby. I could be wrong though. Muse recorded drums in a swimming pool once, just to get that effect 

1 hour ago, matteo263 said:

I seriously doubt it to be honest. bathrooms and hallways are just not good recording environments, the sound would be too reverby. I could be wrong though. Muse recorded drums in a swimming pool once, just to get that effect 

This song's vocals were recorded in a bathroom

(Warning: it's NSFW)

no reverby vocals 

1 hour ago, matteo263 said:

It all depends what sound they're going for tbh.  Drummers often record in weird places to get the sound they want, and the bathroom in my flat has a great natural reverb for vocals (even if I can't sing).  Also without knowing the size and materials the rooms are made of it's hard to say how it would affect the sound.

Or they could always be recording background noise, think 'Desensitized' or 'Blood, Sex and Booze'.

1 hour ago, Second favourite son said:

Or they could always be recording background noise, think 'Desensitized' or 'Blood, Sex and Booze'.

eww i don't want background noise from a toilet:shy:

The part of Feeling This where it's just effected drums and Tom yelling the chorus was recorded in a hallway, could possibly be something like that?

7 hours ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

eww i don't want background noise from a toilet:shy:

Maybe they're going for a 'sick of me' style background noise... Just disturbingly more realistic

15 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

Maybe they're going for a 'sick of me' style background noise... Just disturbingly more realistic

for science, was it a real fart? 

8 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

for science, was it a real fart? 

Doesn't sound real to me.  However, I'm not a fart connoisseur so...

• Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived