Billie Joe's Highest Singing?

CreatureQuake

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking Restless Heart Syndrome (verses) and 21 Guns (falsetto in chorus). But I'd be interested to know what other particularly high parts/notes he's sung and what actual pitch they are, if anyone knows.

I don't think he's ever given us enough data on his marijuana/drug usage prior to shows for us to draw any sort of conclusion.

insomniac tour disagrees

The range place is usually pretty good, although I'm not sure I agree with him being a tenor. Anyway, they're a great place to find his highest notes.

Also, not sure how high it really is, but the thing he does on Jesus of Suburbia on AAF is pretty terrific. On the line "No one really seems to caa-aa-aaaare!". Fuckin amazing.

The range place is usually pretty good, although I'm not sure I agree with him being a tenor. Anyway, they're a great place to find his highest notes.

Also, not sure how high it really is, but the thing he does on Jesus of Suburbia on AAF is pretty terrific. On the line "No one really seems to caa-aa-aaaare!". Fuckin amazing.

I believe that is a G#5 :)

This?

:lol: I'd never seen that little gem before.

http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t3050-billie-joe-armstrong

The scream in the Makeout Party demo is an A5, his highest proper sung note is a G#5 from the classic rock medley at Detroit 2010 :)

That's cool! Do you know what the highest note he's sung on a studio album is?

There's a high tone in Oh Love as well, the third line of the bridge.

Enjoying this thread so much. :)

I'm not sure I agree with him being a tenor.

How would you classify him then? I doubt his voice can go deep enough to fit into the baritone category, therefore he must be a tenor. He may not sound like a typical one, but it's only a question of range.

http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t3050-billie-joe-armstrong

The scream in the Makeout Party demo is an A5, his highest proper sung note is a G#5 from the classic rock medley at Detroit 2010 :)

That's a really cool post! I know this is about Billie's high notes but shouldn't Rotting be on the low-note list somewhere? I sing that entire song in a higher key :lol:

As for high notes... Reading Festival performance of We Are The Champions?

How would you classify him then? I doubt his voice can go deep enough to fit into the baritone category, therefore he must be a tenor. He may not sound like a typical one, but it's only a question of range.

Ooh I want to know what category he is. Mostly because I'm pretty sure whatever he is I'm the same :lol:, Green Day are the only band I know of where I can very comfortably sing along with every song, his pitch is just right for me. Also based on that I don't think his range is that wide? Because I know mine isn't and out of all their songs there's only two that have notes that are slightly hard to sing because of being too low and none that are too high (I have zero technical knowledge on this so my only way of judging is to compare him to myself lol, but I'm interested in it).

The vast majority of Billie's vocals sit around A2 - A4. Obviously he has some outlying high notes but his voice squarely falls into the baritone category.

This?

Wow he does a good Bee Gees impression.

The vast majority of Billie's vocals sit around A2 - A4. Obviously he has some outlying high notes but his voice squarely falls into the baritone category.

I thought baritone was even deeper. Apparently I need to educate myself a bit more.

I thought baritone was even deeper. Apparently I need to educate myself a bit more.

Baritone in opera and stuff is classified in a slightly lower range than other music, so that might be why :P

Baritone in opera and stuff is classified in a slightly lower range than other music, so that might be why :P

aha!that's where I have it from :)

Ooh I want to know what category he is. Mostly because I'm pretty sure whatever he is I'm the same :lol:, Green Day are the only band I know of where I can very comfortably sing along with every song, his pitch is just right for me. Also based on that I don't think his range is that wide? Because I know mine isn't and out of all their songs there's only two that have notes that are slightly hard to sing because of being too low and none that are too high (I have zero technical knowledge on this so my only way of judging is to compare him to myself lol, but I'm interested in it).

I would say he's a high baritone maybe? Cause his high notes don't sound strained, but he can go pretty low, like in Rotting, Working Class Hero, Whatsername, etc. As for his highest studio note, there's some screams and stuff, but his highest actual cleanly sung, non-falsetto note seems to be an A4, which is in Disappearing Boy, 21st Century Breakdown, Makeout Party, and a bunch of other songs.

I would say he's a high baritone maybe? Cause his high notes don't sound strained, but he can go pretty low, like in Rotting, Working Class Hero, Whatsername, etc. As for his highest studio note, there's some screams and stuff, but his highest actual cleanly sung, non-falsetto note seems to be an A4, which is in Disappearing Boy, 21st Century Breakdown, Makeout Party, and a bunch of other songs.

Interesting! When in Disappearing Boy is that? Didn't realize there was a particularly high note.

Interesting! When in Disappearing Boy is that? Didn't realize there was a particularly high note.

"Cause I'm a million MILES awaaaay"

On "miles" :)

Actually, I'd disagree with it being all about range. You can have tenors singing low and baritones reaching high notes, but it's a matter of the texture of the voice, not just the range. I'd say he has a very baritone-ish quality to his voice, and although he can go "high", it's still not a comfortable place for him to sing. For example, Steve Perry of Journey was considered a tenor (actually a specific type of tenor) with a very smooth and "thin" voice, while Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden is considered a baritone with a much more powerful, full voice. And these two singers, in their prime mind you, had roughly the same vocal range, but completely different voices. Also, Freddie Mercury was a baritone, despite his great range. So it's not just about how high or low they go, but how much force and power they are able to produce at different places in their range.

"Cause I'm a million MILES awaaaay"

On "miles" :)

Ahh thanks! Never would've realized it was that high.

Archived