Give_Me_Novacaine90

Lol to be fair I wasn't defending them as lyricists lol

lol, can we agree now??? :)

Far too many lol s for me :)

But we are being very funny

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green Day are in 8th place with only 5.26% of the fan vote.

Seriously Nine Inch Nails have over 28%. What the actual fuck??

I still can't believe anyone cares about this fan vote. Online votes mean nothing and can be manipulated extremely easily. It's one vote. It will not make or break anything.

I agree that it's easily manipulated and hardly counts, but I still worry that it reflects wider opinion or the opinions of the real voters. Or if I'm an official voter thinking about influence, and I see the current online stats, I might think again "Hmmph, maybe Green Day weren't as popular as I thought they were."

Green Day are in 8th place with only 5.26% of the fan vote.

Seriously Nine Inch Nails have over 28%. What the actual fuck??

Nine Inch Nails actually have a pretty big and dedicated fan base. I'm kinda impressed by it.

Nine Inch Nails actually have a pretty big and dedicated fan base. I'm kinda impressed by it.

I'm very surprised. I honestly thought Green Day had a very good chance at this considering we can easily dominate other online polls. GDA hasn't pushed it much at all, that'll have to change. But I doubt we'd make too much of an impact if even the official sites aren't.

I'm very surprised. I honestly thought Green Day had a very good chance at this considering we can easily dominate other online polls. GDA hasn't pushed it much at all, that'll have to change. But I doubt we'd make too much of an impact if even the official sites aren't.

Like most people have said though, it's not like 1 post is going to make much of a difference. I imagine we still have time to win it anyway.

Green Day's twitter has actually been promoting this more than they usually do, and they have millions of followers. If they can't do it, GDA can't (even if GDA has a far better handle on social media that Green Day's management.)

Green Day's twitter has actually been promoting this more than they usually do, and they have millions of followers. If they can't do it, GDA can't (even if GDA has a far better handle on social media that Green Day's management.)

You never know though, I've seen bands come back from worse.

Us simply posting about it would not work. It'd have to be more about "here's the situation, now get your friends involved" then pushing it. Again, may not make a huge impact, but I'm also not really wanting to just give up.

It's really clear that there is alot of manipulation going on. For example, the Paul Butterfield Band had about 6% of the vote this morning and now they are about 7 1/2 %. There has to be tens of millions of votes already. There has to be huge changes to move the numbers like they are. This vote is shite.

It's really clear that there is alot of manipulation going on. For example, the Paul Butterfield Band had about 6% of the vote this morning and now they are about 7 1/2 %. There has to be tens of millions of votes already. There has to be huge changes to move the numbers like they are. This vote is shite.

I thought the same thing the other day. It does seem like this type of thing would be ripe for cheating on. Some nerdy fan of some band rights some scripts to auto-vote or something. Of course I only say that because Green Day isn't winning.

I thought the same thing the other day. It does seem like this type of thing would be ripe for cheating on. Some nerdy fan of some band rights some scripts to auto-vote or something. Of course I only say that because Green Day isn't winning.

You're a nerdy fan. Why don't you write a script?

HA, it looks like GD doesn't have any fans that are programmers. But yes, there are auto vote programs being used, it has to be.

I think you have to look at green day not getting a great vote turn out in a couple of ways. Just because green day has been more relevant more recently than a lot of these artists doesn't mean they're aren't a ton of older voters voting crazily knowing that their favorites may not get a better chance later. Eligibility runs out eventually. And once you are nominated one year you may never be again. And i think generally green day fans overrate how dedicated the green day fanbase is to a certain extente. Green day really isn't as timeless as many other older artists. Yes green day has had their times in the spotlight but let's face it green day are pop/rock and eventually most of their music will fade with time. And if you are smart, you'll realize that they have a lot of really mediocre songs compared to some of these older artists already inshrined. Selling out, changing styles affects the fan base. Green day had to adjust in the early 2000's mostly because their sound, musical talent wasn't timeless enough. I think american idiot is by far their most timeless work and they are greatly benefiting from it. What hurts them is that many people can still not take them seriously after the early rise to fame because of the tounge and cheekiness of the music. Not to say it wasn't great clever and smart pop music, but pop-punk is only a fractional part of the vast music fanbase formed over many years. Green day has burned many bridges to get where they are and i believe thats a factor in how many hardcore green day fans are left. The trilogy really killed the momentum in their careers. Its really the only time they've stopped moving forward and gone backward. And i think the common voter looks at the body of work and says well they were good when they were motivated by personal experience or by a time period and musical movement but wonder whether or not they were ever that talented. And i would say to that yes and no. They were incredibly good at being themselves throughout most of their career almost to a fault but when you look at them musically and influentially maybe they were just decent. Not to say they arent incredibly important to people's lives because they really are but does that make them fit in with past inductees? I think that's debatable.

I think you have to look at green day not getting a great vote turn out in a couple of ways. Just because green day has been more relevant more recently than a lot of these artists doesn't mean they're aren't a ton of older voters voting crazily knowing that their favorites may not get a better chance later. Eligibility runs out eventually. And once you are nominated one year you may never be again. And i think generally green day fans overrate how dedicated the green day fanbase is to a certain extente. Green day really isn't as timeless as many other older artists. Yes green day has had their times in the spotlight but let's face it green day are pop/rock and eventually most of their music will fade with time. And if you are smart, you'll realize that they have a lot of really mediocre songs compared to some of these older artists already inshrined. Selling out, changing styles affects the fan base. Green day had to adjust in the early 2000's mostly because their sound, musical talent wasn't timeless enough. I think american idiot is by far their most timeless work and they are greatly benefiting from it. What hurts them is that many people can still not take them seriously after the early rise to fame because of the tounge and cheekiness of the music. Not to say it wasn't great clever and smart pop music, but pop-punk is only a fractional part of the vast music fanbase formed over many years. Green day has burned many bridges to get where they are and i believe thats a factor in how many hardcore green day fans are left. The trilogy really killed the momentum in their careers. Its really the only time they've stopped moving forward and gone backward. And i think the common voter looks at the body of work and says well they were good when they were motivated by personal experience or by a time period and musical movement but wonder whether or not they were ever that talented. And i would say to that yes and no. They were incredibly good at being themselves throughout most of their career almost to a fault but when you look at them musically and influentially maybe they were just decent. Not to say they arent incredibly important to people's lives because they really are but does that make them fit in with past inductees? I think that's debatable.

You make some very valid points. First, the fan vote really doesn't mean anything because it is set up in a way that is easily manipulated. And yes, they have burned bridges because of the fact they have changed their style so often. But the fan vote and potential reasons for entry into the hall are two different things.

I know this musician, a real professional musician. He is not a tax attorney that plays on the weekends. He is a touring and studio musician who has played for people such as Billy Joel and Ringo Starr. I don't really know him, he is a friend of a friend and I've met him twice. Once, being this past week. Me, being shy, took the opportunity to ask him his opinion on the hall nominees. His choices were Green Day, Lou Reed, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bill Withers and he was really, really into the Paul Butterfield Band. I asked him about the 3 or 4 chord argument for Green Day and he said that it is not a valid argument. Most songs these days are not complicated but, what he was really impressed with was what Green Day has done with those 3 or 4 chords. He said they are so diversified. No matter what argument I threw at him, he kept coming back that they are so diversified. That was his big argument for them. Coming from a musicians standpoint, he said thier ability to diversify is hall worthy, that is almost a quote. He did say more interesting things. He did talk about Billie as if he was the only member of the band. He loved Foreverly and he did say that Billie was an excellent musician. I said that was something I've never really heard and he said, no he is. Again, just one professional musicians opinion, but interesting.

You make some very valid points. First, the fan vote really doesn't mean anything because it is set up in a way that is easily manipulated. And yes, they have burned bridges because of the fact they have changed their style so often. But the fan vote and potential reasons for entry into the hall are two different things.

I know this musician, a real professional musician. He is not a tax attorney that plays on the weekends. He is a touring and studio musician who has played for people such as Billy Joel and Ringo Starr. I don't really know him, he is a friend of a friend and I've met him twice. Once, being this past week. Me, being shy, took the opportunity to ask him his opinion on the hall nominees. His choices were Green Day, Lou Reed, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bill Withers and he was really, really into the Paul Butterfield Band. I asked him about the 3 or 4 chord argument for Green Day and he said that it is not a valid argument. Most songs these days are not complicated but, what he was really impressed with was what Green Day has done with those 3 or 4 chords. He said they are so diversified. No matter what argument I threw at him, he kept coming back that they are so diversified. That was his big argument for them. Coming from a musicians standpoint, he said thier ability to diversify is hall worthy, that is almost a quote. He did say more interesting things. He did talk about Billie as if he was the only member of the band. He loved Foreverly and he did say that Billie was an excellent musician. I said that was something I've never really heard and he said, no he is. Again, just one professional musicians opinion, but interesting.

He is a great musician, but he doesn't showcase it all that much live anymore. Jason plays most of the solos while Billie Joe works the crowd.

Mike and Tre are also truly great musicians.

He is a great musician, but he doesn't showcase it all that much live anymore. Jason plays most of the solos while Billie Joe works the crowd.

Mike and Tre are also truly great musicians.

I think all three are great musicians, but that is not exactly their reputation. This guy I talked too, who is a professional musician is very impressed with Billie. He didn't talk about Mike, Tre or Jason. It doesn't mean he didn't like them, they just didn't come up in the conversation. He is a Green Day fan so I would think he thinks they are good musicians as well. Again, knowing this guy is a professional and it was only the second time I met him, I took the opportunity to ask his opinion. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

I would agree i guess about the vote manipulation because it does seem like it is going on. It probably has at least some influence. Sting having that many more votes than green day is a little ridiculous. And i agree billie is a talented songwriter. Musician not bad either. He's written close to 20-25 really good songs but was it really because of great musicianship or luck/motivation? I think that's part of the beauty of green day is the heart and simpilicity in the bare bones of a song which has kind of gotten lost over the years in rock music.

I would agree i guess about the vote manipulation because it does seem like it is going on. It probably has at least some influence. Sting having that many more votes than green day is a little ridiculous. And i agree billie is a talented songwriter. Musician not bad either. He's written close to 20-25 really good songs but was it really because of great musicianship or luck/motivation? I think that's part of the beauty of green day is the heart and simpilicity in the bare bones of a song which has kind of gotten lost over the years in rock music.

Very well put. The reason I told the story that from one professional musicians standpoint, Billie and Green Day have alot of cred. One of the reasons is what you quoted above is that they can take something simple and make it work over and over again in very diverse formats. He felt that it made them hall worthy because it is not something alot of bands have been able to accomplish. In the hall voting, these kinds of opinions will have more weight than the fan vote.

I agree 1000% (if there was a 1000%) that there is no way Sting should be up there.

I think he has written a little more than 20-25 good songs.

Archived