10 years of American Idiot

Fuzz

Wow shit. Can't believe it's been that long....still one of my if not my favourite album of them. It was so much to me back when I got into GD, that album was my life and my world man.

I only got into them in 2006/2007 but yet there was barely no day where I didn't listen to it. BOBD was THE song that made me who I am today.

Sooo Happy Birthday American Idiot! :)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sister lost the CD and ended up torrenting it, I copied it to my PC and the "setlist" of the download went like this:

American Idiot

Too Much Too Soon

Holiday

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

She's a Rebel

Give Me Novacaine

St Jimmy

Letterbomb

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Favorite Son

oops..

So the person who uploaded this screwed up the entire album basically. It wasn't until later, we bought it at a Goodwill and I listened to it. Blown away by Jesus of Suburbia. A month later or so my parents started blasting Bullet in a Bible in the living room (it was recorded on TV from the DVR) and it just seemed amazing and finding Dookie and Insomniac CDs in a box pretty much got me into Green Day. I've always known their music but didn't think much of it until then.

10 years.....wow. It only feels like maybe four years ago I picked up the CD. Like many others this album made me a lifelong Green Day fan. I can't even describe it. I fell in love with the entire album and it changed the way I thought about songs. I mean when I heard Jesus of Suburbia, I didn't know what was going on! But I loved it! It introduced me to the concept album and the rock opera. It's still one of my favorite albums of theirs and one I never get tired of. I still have a hard time believing it came out so long ago and that I've been a fan of theirs for 10 years. I finally got to see them live last year and hearing songs like "American Idiot" and "St Jimmy" couldn't have been any sweeter. This album is responsible for so many things in my life from making me pick up guitar to showing me to question everything and fight for what you believe in. It's amazing and still sounds just as great as it did so long ago. I wrote more about it on my blog recently: http://radionotfound.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/10-years-of-being-an-american-idiot/

Thanks Green Day.

I was 18 years old when American Idiot came out but I bought it in December 2004 and it was just epic. I was practically preaching about this album to other people. This album will always be number one to me. :D

I just gave it a full listen and oh my fucking god I will never get over this album. Regardless of the memories associated with it and how significant a part of my life it was, the songs themselves are just incredible. I should be absolutely sick of it by now, I must have heard it a thousand times, but the impact hasn't diminished one bit. Absolute perfection.

Happy 10 year anniversary to American Idiot. After spending most of my childhood soaking up my parents' Beatles, Queen, Journey, Styx, etc albums (not too bad of a musical upbringing), American Idiot was the first album I ever bought and owned for myself (my mom also told me to buy a U2 album that day and I swear I haven't even listened to the thing yet). I remember listening to it for the first time in my room on my CD player, probably solely to hear Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and being inwardly shocked at the profanity and the plot, which I misinterpreted to be some sort of evil incarnation of Jesus. American Idiot opened up the world of music for me as something personal. Even when I listen to this album today, it feels so powerful to me.
Now, the most important part of this isn't in the music. Life changes so fast and so unpredictably and people change along with it. Nothing in my life is the same as it was 10 years ago. I've certainly grown a lot since 2004. American Idiot and Battlefront aren't just entertainment; they ground me. They are the controlled aspect of my life, and I know that if I ever go astray, I can listen to that album and remember who I am and who I was when I was at my most basic and innocent self. You see so many adults completely lost, completely miserable, searching and sifting through things that will never make them happy as a desperate attempt to reclaim themselves. What went wrong? When I listen to American Idiot, I'm reminded of my roots, of who I am, and who I wanted to be when I was 10 years old. And I can't think of a life path more pleasing than the one I thought of when I was just a boy. It's about getting really into a song that touches you. Everything else is complete shit; I promise you that. I’m going to keep chasing the dreams of 10 year old me, because that’s the only way I know will be true.

Just listened to the album all the way through for the first time in years. It's still as good as the day as it was released - Lil B

I just gave it a full listen and oh my fucking god I will never get over this album. Regardless of the memories associated with it and how significant a part of my life it was, the songs themselves are just incredible. I should be absolutely sick of it by now, I must have heard it a thousand times, but the impact hasn't diminished one bit. Absolute perfection.

The coolest thing about it is that you can go back to it, put yourself in your 13-14-15 year old shoes, and listen to it with that same sense of "Oh my fucking god, this is incredible," even if you've listened to it at least once every couple of weeks for the past 10 years.

The coolest thing about it is that you can go back to it, put yourself in your 13-14-15 year old shoes, and listen to it with that same sense of "Oh my fucking god, this is incredible," even if you've listened to it at least once every couple of weeks for the past 10 years.

I'm still angsty now so I don't need to remember the teen feel :P

Just in the process of the obligatory play through just now, onto Extraordinary Girl. With albums you've listened to a thousand times over it is definitely best to give it a spin on rare occasions if you still want to enjoy it. Still the most brilliant mix of ideas, it should never have worked. The revisionists have tried to claim that they tried to get popular again with it, because obviously the world was crying out for punk rock operas about schizophrenics, politics and the state of the nation. I just love how huge it sounds. It is so the opposite of the type of albums that "tastemakers" like Pitchfork enjoy. Although I just found out they gave it a 7.2! It's overblown and bombastic and ridiculous and cynical and funny and melodramatic in all the right places. Even before they did the musical, it has all the elements of a musical soundtrack. I love the Les Paul Jr sound on the start of Letterbomb and Homecoming, and the surf guitar on Novocaine, and all those massive choruses.

Personally it always reminds me of America (duh), because I went there for a holiday/cousin's wedding in October 2004, so I was still at the stage of listening to it obsessively. It's the one that first brought me to Green Day Authority, reading all the song meanings, downloading the bootlegs etc. It's the one that made me go from having basically only Dookie and International Superhits to full blown obsessed. It's one of only three records I can think of that I got into when I was 12 that I still love. The others being The White Stripes' White Blood Cells and (obviously) Dookie.

And now Letterbomb, probably my favourite song by them.

I'm still angsty now so I don't need to remember the teen feel :P

Hahahaha I get that but I also just kind of meant the music still sounds the way it did the first time I listened to it (if that makes sense). I remember hearing JOS for the first time and a.) being blown away by each suite, and b.) being shocked that the song went on for so long, and if I just kind of relax and really listen to the music step by step, ignoring the fact that I know what's coming next and that I know the lyrics backwards and forwards, I can recapture that sense of "holy shit. Mind = blown."

Hahahaha I get that but I also just kind of meant the music still sounds the way it did the first time I listened to it (if that makes sense). I remember hearing JOS for the first time and a.) being blown away by each suite, and b.) being shocked that the song went on for so long, and if I just kind of relax and really listen to the music step by step, ignoring the fact that I know what's coming next and that I know the lyrics backwards and forwards, I can recapture that sense of "holy shit. Mind = blown."

That's another thing that's unique about it - it's so easy to ignore the fact you know what's coming and just let it take you away. I don't get that with any other album.

I'll never forget the first time I listened to this album and how it completely just blew me away. I remember I literally had to beg my mom for months to get it because it had the "explicit content" warning on the front of the album. :lol: But once I finally got my hands on it, it completely changed my life. So many good memories associated with this album, and it's amazing to think how different my life would be had this album never come out. I probably would have never gotten into Green Day, and therefore never made an account here and would have never met some good friends, and my boyfriend of 2 years. So, thank you Green Day, not just for releasing a musical masterpiece, but something that brought so many people together.

Time for the obligatory listen through. :happy:

That's another thing that's unique about it - it's so easy to ignore the fact you know what's coming and just let it take you away. I don't get that with any other album.

THANK YOU. That was what I was trying to get at :D

It was such a pivotal moment in their careers, of course, but as Billie said in an interview, it's an album that really belongs to the fans more than anything. It's about something way bigger than the band, it's about how this album touched and changed the lives of untold numbers of people all around the world. Really, what is there for the band to add to what's already been said by them about it in interviews? I kind of like that this is a day that fans have had to themselves to talk about and celebrate what American Idiot means to them :)

It was such a pivotal moment in their careers, of course, but as Billie said in an interview, it's an album that really belongs to the fans more than anything. It's about something way bigger than the band, it's about how this album touched and changed the lives of untold numbers of people all around the world. Really, what is there for the band to add to what's already been said by them about it in interviews? I kind of like that this is a day that fans have had to themselves to talk about and celebrate what American Idiot means to them :)

Secret show? :P

Why would you bother looking back when you can move forward and release the Trilogy instead?

Secret show? :P

So secret no one turned up.

Why would you bother looking back when you can move forward and release the Trilogy instead?

And only play the old hits during the tour!

Archived