If Demolicious was released instead of the trilogy...

Jollyroger118

I'm inclined to agree with him on the notion that rock music is very much in peril in the US, at least in the mainstream.

Rock doesn't need "the mainstream" though, and it never has. There's a lot of great rock music out there, a lot of which is doing very, very well. I just don't understand how it can be considered in peril when US rock bands as diverse as Journey, Stone Sour, Paramore, Foo Fighters and Aerosmith are [still] having massive global success, not to mention Metallica still headlining festivals all over the place and Jack White playing at the Grammys. If you're looking for it on Billboard and deciding its dying, you're looking in the wrong place. It's not like chart positions particularly count for much outside of the pop genre anyway. "Rock is dying" is a line that's been spouted repeatedly and constantly since the mid-70s, and, without wanting to come across as overly harsh, seems like a sign of an embarrassing level of ignorance when it comes from people who are particularly into music.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rock doesn't need "the mainstream" though, and it never has. There's a lot of great rock music out there, a lot of which is doing very, very well. I just don't understand how it can be considered in peril when US rock bands as diverse as Journey, Stone Sour, Paramore, Foo Fighters and Aerosmith are [still] having massive global success, not to mention Metallica still headlining festivals all over the place and Jack White playing at the Grammys. If you're looking for it on Billboard and deciding its dying, you're looking in the wrong place. It's not like chart positions particularly count for much outside of the pop genre anyway. "Rock is dying" is a line that's been spouted repeatedly and constantly since the mid-70s, and, without wanting to come across as overly harsh, seems like a sign of an embarrassing level of ignorance when it comes from people who are particularly into music.

Sorry. When I said dying, I meant that it is absent from Billboard and there are rarely rock songs that become big hits.

Sorry. When I said dying, I meant that it is absent from Billboard and there are rarely rock songs that become big hits.

Maybe on the main Hot 100 but there are still Billboard charts for Hot Rock Songs, Rock Airplay, Rock Digital Songs, Rock Streaming Songs, Top Rock Albums, Alternative Songs, Alternative Albums, Adult Alternative Songs (whatever they are), Mainstream Rock Songs and Hard Rock Albums. :P

I sometimes feel like the excess of separate charts is part of the problem.

I agree it doesn't need to be mainstream. But the way I read his post I assume when he said rock was falling apart and he said it in regard to how well GD's songs would do sales wise. Good rock music just doesn't perform as well sales wise as it used to. Even in the early 2000s there were still large amounts of radio play being given to rock music on top 40. Not so anymore.

A rock song in America in 2014 has to do a heck of a lot more to chart than a rock song in 2004 did. I think that's the point he was making and I agree with that. I could be straw manning the crap out of this and then I'd ask you all to disregard what I've written :P

So in summary : Yes good rock music still exists and is plentiful,

yes rock music does well ticket wise (I don't think anyone here disputes that)

Rock music is most definitely declining in the mainstream sales wise

Whether or not you care if rock music is on top 40 radio is irrelevant, the discussion was about whether or not the music would have sold well (in which case the mainstream's opinion on rock matters)

Metallica is living off because of the past work...

Is that why their last five albums have been number 1 worldwide, including on the Billboard Hot 100? :P

Is that why their last five albums have been number 1 worldwide, including on the Billboard Hot 100? :P

Their last album was 6 years ago...

Their last album was 6 years ago...

I know, but it was still their most recent album and it did well, so I wouldn't call that living off past success.

I know, but it was still their most recent album and it did well, so I wouldn't call that living off past success.

CURRENTLY they are living off the past

And Death Magnetic did horrible when compared to their hey day...

CURRENTLY they are living off the past

And Death Magnetic did horrible when compared to their hey day...

What's the cutoff point where a band stops just being between albums and starts living off their past? And purely in terms of chart positions (since that's what we were talking about) Death Magnetic was their best ever at the time.

What's the cutoff point where a band stops just being between albums and starts living off their past? And purely in terms of chart positions (since that's what we were talking about) Death Magnetic was their best ever at the time.

2 years

Just glancing at the Rock charts, they really stretch to define certain material as "rock". The most popular song (Ain't it Fun, Paramore) is the one of the only ones that had legit success on the mainstream charts (peaked at 10). Pompeii by Bastille is still in 2nd on the Rock chart and I think anyone could easily claim that song isn't "rock" music. And there is a load of other examples

Archived