Billie Joe & Avicii, Thoughts?

kiarakoval

I think it's an interesting idea. Think about it. Avicii's last two hits Wake Me Up and Hey Brother featured really good singers with a decent guitar vibe that wasn't too over powered by edm. It had it's moments. I think Billie's voice is good enough for one of those songs. Avicii seems to be looking for great singers and he's found one. If I was producing music Billie would be the first person I would run to especially after hearing his versatility on the Foreverly album.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to it actually. It's really interesting to see that he wants to try new things, there's nothing wrong whatsoever in broadening your horizons! Also, even though i dont listen much to electronic music, or anything like that, i think Avicii is a great artist! Unlike others, you can see that he actually cares about his music, and the artists he works with are pretty great! I'v listened to a few songs and they're actually really good. He cares about the reputation of electronic music and wants to help build up its reputation and erase all the shit about it, which i think is very thoughtful and great.

Also, one article i read stated that in his new projects, he will not only work with Billie Joe, he's sort of gathering up any rock musician he can find to team up with him. One of the people on the list is Jon Bon Jovi, so i'm really looking forward to his new stuff!

I just saw some Avicii/EDM fans on Facebook bitching about "how dare he do this when he wrote a song about murdering DJs and destroying EDM culture?!?!" :lol: I hadn't thought that much about the other end of the scale having strong opinions about it. Obviously non fans won't know Kill the DJ has nothing to do with actual DJs, but it's a bit silly to think he literally wants to kill them all.

It will be interesting if Billie's song is the one that is a radio single... it's cool that that's the only one that we have a title for so far, but that could be because he was one of the earlier collaborators. The other artists that Avicii is collaborating with are as popular or more popular than Green Day, with just as many hit songs (Bon Jovi, Coldplay) so I have no idea how he would choose which song to release as a single. Maybe he'll just put 'em all out there, unless Billie's is the best.

i noticed a weird pattern with avicii's single choices, actually, but it's not infallible. he released his singles off the album 'true' in tracklist order, with the first track being 'wake me up,' then 'you make me,' 'hey brother,' and 'addicted to you.' those are the first four songs on the album. i dunno if it'll have any bearing on this but yeah, it could depend on where billie's track places on the hypothetical album.

i noticed a weird pattern with avicii's single choices, actually, but it's not infallible. he released his singles off the album 'true' in tracklist order, with the first track being 'wake me up,' then 'you make me,' 'hey brother,' and 'addicted to you.' those are the first four songs on the album. i dunno if it'll have any bearing on this but yeah, it could depend on where billie's track places on the hypothetical album.

Hypothetical album? It's happening :)

Hypothetical album? It's happening :)

i concede to your wisdom. haven't really been following.

really don't like Avicii's music D:

a friend of mine just sent my this preview too, but i'm almost sure it's a fake...Avicii just told RS that he's still working on his new album...by the way, i'm soooo curious to listen to it

I wouldn't mind if that turned out to be real... I like it! Hmm, maybe I should actually listen to more than just "Wake Me Up"? That's the only Avicii song I know.

Assuming Billie is singing, I will enjoy him saying things like "there ain't no pleasing a women" :lol:

It won't let me like your post right now, but LOL

That's because a lot of labels/artists have the tendency to frontload the singles in the beginning of the album tracklist, rather than the other way around.

This is most likely going to be like the I Run New York thing...in other words total shit but most fans will love it because it is Billie...hell he could announce a duet with Justin Bieber at this point and there would be initial shock and then 99% of fans would "love it". I could be wrong about this duet but even the name tells me I'm probably going to be correct.

This is most likely going to be like the I Run New York thing...in other words total shit but most fans will love it because it is Billie...hell he could announce a duet with Justin Bieber at this point and there would be initial shock and then 99% of fans would "love it". I could be wrong about this duet but even the name tells me I'm probably going to be correct.

And everyone knows you should judge a song by its title.

I Run New York is a joke song made by a comedy act......people like it because it's a funny parody. Not sure how a song by a credible dance artist will be like that.

I Run New York is a joke song made by a comedy act......people like it because it's a funny parody. Not sure how a song by a credible dance artist will be like that.

Yeah except it wasn't actually funny it was just crap. I actually really thought it would be good too because they are usually pretty amusing whereas dance music is usually always pretty crap...so I don't hold out much hope on this one unfortunately.

And everyone knows you should judge a song by its title.

I'm not not "judging" it based on the title however it is an indication of the topic/topics potientially due to be discussed in the song if you will so that hardly fills me with excitement when the title is this.

Yeah except it wasn't actually funny it was just crap. I actually really thought it would be good too because they are usually pretty amusing whereas dance music is usually always pretty crap...so I don't hold out much hope on this one unfortunately.

I'm not not "judging" it based on the title however it is an indication of the topic/topics potientially due to be discussed in the song if you will so that hardly fills me with excitement when the title is this.

Ahh well I liked it, silly of course but it's a fun parody of rappers always taking about running New York. I don't think many people who liked it only liked it because of Billie either, since he only sings the chorus, if I remember right most people who liked it said it was because they found it funny. People are going to be more likely to like something if it's Billie first just because if you're a fan of his singing you're going to be more likely to be a fan of a song he sings on, and also because hearing him do something different is fun/interesting/novel, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But there's also a lot of people here who are into all kinds of different music who might like a song in a genre that you don't happen to rate very highly with or without Billie.

Ahh well I liked it, silly of course but it's a fun parody of rappers always taking about running New York. I don't think many people who liked it only liked it because of Billie either, since he only sings the chorus, if I remember right most people who liked it said it was because they found it funny. People are going to be more likely to like something if it's Billie first just because if you're a fan of his singing you're going to be more likely to be a fan of a song he sings on, and also because hearing him do something different is fun/interesting/novel, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But there's also a lot of people here who are into all kinds of different music who might like a song in a genre that you don't happen to rate very highly with or without Billie.

I agree it's great that Billie is willing to try various genres and it gives fans with a wide musical taste a chance to hear him mix it up etc. I for one loved what he did with Norah and there are about a million genres I'd love him to dabble in and I hope this turns out to be cool but as a passionate hater of dance music I just find it doubtful. I hope I stand corrected. If anyone can change my mind it would be Billie but it it would have to be a good song you know, not just a song featuring Billie to make me listen twice. Fingers crossed.

I really liked I Run NY, thought it was both funny and catchy. I don't think this is at all comparable though, being a legitimate artist putting out an album.

I'll never forgive Avicii for the reprehensible crime of combining the two worst genres of music, EDM and Mumford & Sons faux folk.

A lot of fans won't just "love it" though, there are probably more whining about how it's not punk or whatever than there are saying they like the idea (even if not on GDC there definitely are elsewhere). I hardly saw anyone saying they liked the Lonely Island thing.

Also because you think dance music is crap doesn't mean it automatically is or that it's only possible for people to like this because of Billie. There are people who do like both Green Day and dance music and will like the song itself.

Well it is a really crappy song title compared to something like Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart, I'll give you that :P

I'll never forgive Avicii for the reprehensible crime of combining the two worst genres of music, EDM and Mumford & Sons faux folk.

ummm u wot m8

Anyways, I'm actually kind of excited for this :D It sounds like a really cool idea!

ummm u wot m8

Anyways, I'm actually kind of excited for this :D It sounds like a really cool idea!

It trumps death metal as the worst because I can go about my daily life without hearing death metal.

Also because you think dance music is crap doesn't mean it is.

You have to love the life lessons you learn on GDC...wow. Thanks ;)

Well it is a really crappy song title compared to something like Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart, I'll give you that :P

Hahaha...well now we aren't going to compare Richie and Avicii are we?! Though it probably shows why I should never have ventured into this topic ;)

Archived