Billie Joe & Avicii, Thoughts?

kiarakoval

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this song is surprisingly good. Hopefully final version will be even better.

What surprises me in all of this, except the ''musical'' level of this stuff, is that BJ does this kind of collaboration. I mean, he can do what he wants, but I was convinced he was the kind of guy to have the principle of refusing to do autontuned commercial shit.

Note that I'm not the kind of fan to hate eveything that Billie Joe does beside Green Day, cause, when you take Foreverly, it's clearly not commercial (imo). This album has a real spirit, the songs have a deep sense, and he said himself he always loved the Everly Brothers...

I'm talking about the music genre, here.

I just find that weird, coming from him, that he does rap (Lonely Island)/EDM featurings...

And a bit disapointing, too.

Plus, I'm sure he's the kind of guy to grump as a old punk when he hears a big commercial shit on the radio. :D

Why is it disappointing? Are you (and a lot of people on here) seriously delusional enough to think Green Day isn't mainstream/commercial?

Why is it disappointing? Are you (and a lot of people on here) seriously delusional enough to think Green Day isn't mainstream/commercial?

I'm not delusional at all, I know Green Day's last albums have been commercial, and I always thought so, but we're talking about the duo BJ+Avicii here. What I just wanted to say actually is that I find that disappointing he persists into it. Of course I could bash the Trilogy, 21CB (....) at the same time, but I would be off topic.

Plus, I really wanted to put an accent on the voice filters. Okay, it's used on the last GD's albums, but there, it's really too much to me.

However, I'd like to know the lyrics, if a native speaker could write them here, I'd like to know what the song means, cause I really don't manage to understand except a few sentences...

I'm not delusional at all, I know Green Day's last albums have been commercial, and I always thought so, but we're talking about the duo BJ+Avicii here. What I just wanted to say actually is that I find that disappointing he persists into it. Of course I could bash the Trilogy, 21CB (....) at the same time, but I would be off topic.

Plus, I really wanted to put an accent on the voice filters. Okay, it's used on the last GD's albums, but there, it's really too much to me.

However, I'd like to know the lyrics, if a native speaker could write them here, I'd like to know what the song means, cause I really don't manage to understand except a few sentences...

I hate vocal filters on Billie,but It's a dance song,it's pretty normal using vocal filters...

One thing that really pisses me off is how people claim they don't like filters on Billie's voice. If you've ever listened to a decently produced studio recording you've heard EQ and compression, and most likely reverb, delay, distortion, pitch correction or chorus. It only seems like a big deal because the distorted delay on the Trilogy, which was used heavily on American Idiot and Breakdown, is too loud for the guitars to not sound intrusive.

I doubt many people actually know what they're talking about.

I think this is the crux of basically every conversation in the history of the forum/internet/world.

One thing that really pisses me off is how people claim they don't like filters on Billie's voice. If you've ever listened to a decently produced studio recording you've heard EQ and compression, and most likely reverb, delay, distortion, pitch correction or chorus. It only seems like a big deal because the distorted delay on the Trilogy, which was used heavily on American Idiot and Breakdown, is too loud for the guitars to not sound intrusive.

I always thought filters were the telephone effect you hear in songs like "American Idiot" and "Know Your Enemy". I think a lot of people can be deluded into thinking that even Billie's "perfect" voice doesn't need any work done on it in studio, which is just wrong.

I always thought filters were the telephone effect you hear in songs like "American Idiot" and "Know Your Enemy". I think a lot of people can be deluded into thinking that even Billie's "perfect" voice doesn't need any work done on it in studio, which is just wrong.

There are people who think Billie's voice is perfect??

I don't think people really think that. I think people just don't like hearing it produced in such an *obviously* different way. All that stuff is fine on most of Green Day's stuff because it's less obvious to us laypeople. When it becomes so obvious that even an untrained ear can hear it, that's when people start to freak out. Which I agree is stupid, because by that token people should have vomitted all over the Foxboro Hot Tubs.

Well yeah, the telephone effect counts, but that's just compression and EQ, and potentially a bit of distortion. And yeah, I agree with that. If his parts weren't double tracked and processed his voice would just sound really detached from the rest of the mix.

I'd so Wayne and Garth this post

http://youtu.be/gXN1yxax448

I just dont like when his voice sounds so different in some songs.yes maybe filter is not the right word to use,but I dont even know how this "thing" is called in Italian so..I mean those effects that change his voice and make him sound like a robot(?),or..just different. idk.. like in this song,or in a lot of trilogy ones..im not talking about chorus,reverb etc.. sorry if I used the wrong word,but in italy we are used to say "filtro" when we talk about this sort of things that change your voice,even if this isnt the right technical word to use..

I'm aware that Billie's voice is not perfect but,since I love when he sings live, on records I just dont like when his voice sounds a lot different from his actual one ..that's all :)

I said it before and I'll say it again:

All this Avicii thing makes me wanna vomit. The song is awful.

Even though multiple people have already pointed out that song isn't actually about killing a DJ or against DJs in any way?

Even though multiple people have already pointed out that song isn't actually about killing a DJ or against DJs in any way?

I know but it fits to this monstrosity.

I know but it fits to this monstrosity.

Only if you intentionally misinterpret it so you can repeat yourself an infinite number of times.

All this Avicii thing makes me wanna vomit. The song is awful.

Why is it whenever you disagree with the majority of the people you act like a broken record. Its either you enjoy putting yourself through things you don't like or are trying to be the world worst troll, which I will give you -3/10.

Only if you intentionally misinterpret it so you can repeat yourself an infinite number of times.

LOL.

I've always understood Kill the DJ to actually be a PRO dance music song. Like, for fuck's sake, listen to the beat there :lol:

LOL.

I've always understood Kill the DJ to actually be a PRO dance music song. Like, for fuck's sake, listen to the beat there :lol:

I've seen it as the opposite. A criticism of the dance music scene and lifestyle.

I've seen it as the opposite. A criticism of the dance music scene and lifestyle.

Not sure there's anything about dance music that would provoke Billie (or many other grown adults) to protest it so strongly! It's just people dancing to a good beat for fun. Have a look at the verses, it's about the relentless bullshit you hear in the media (for example on the radio), and wanting it to stop so much he wants to "kill the DJ" broadcasting it just so he won't hear it any more.

So I've heard the preview. How are/were some of you doubtful that this is Billie's voice? :lol:

Here's Billie's quote about Kill the DJ:

Who's the DJ you want to kill?
It's about static and noise.

People on TV and radio, talking endlessly about themselves?
Yeah – and all of the things inbetween. Like this government cannot, will not, agree with itself. They refuse to make it work. Right, left – it doesn't matter. It blows your mind and pisses you off. It's a song about being drunk, going through this chaos, feeling fucked up and all you want to do is get more drunk: "I don't even want to know about it anymore."

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-billie-joe-armstrong-on-green-days-raw-punk-albums-20120620

It really isn't about killing DJs, EDM or anything along those lines. :lol:

Isn't that also the definition of American Idiot and 21CB? I think it's Billie's go-to definition in interviews.

I think it's just a different take on that. Like instead of just saying "the world is fucked up" he's used the metaphor of a "club" (the world) and "DJ" (whoever's in charge) to portray that. He said they wanted to write a dance song, so I assume he went with that metaphor to fit that.

I like the song. It's something fresh, different from the stuff Billie has done before. I understand the reasons why so many hardcore Green Day fans are hating on this, but if he always stuck to stuff he had done before, his music would become dull and boring.

I'm also glad he did it with Avicii. He's one of the best EDM producers out of there. He likes to think out of the box, just like Billie.

Archived