Green Day to release LP titled "Demolicious" to support Record Store Day

Fuzz

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what's the quote on the back?

"Sometimes you have to burn down the house to find where you lost your mind," or something close.

I like how some of us begged for more rawness from the Trilogy and when Billie gives us just that with the Stay The Night recording (that was probably the first demo the song ever had) some of us wish it was a polished acoustic pop song. Of course it could be better, but that's not the point!

I don't think that's correct, considering the picture that Adeline posted today.

Well yeah, obviously not now :P

Some songs like Angel Blue get to me on Demolicious, whereas I always skip their album versions.

God I hate the twangy Trilogy guitars (except on X-Kid)

Tre is so on point on Carpe diem. Even Billie says "tre cool is in the house!"

Isn't it always going to sound rawer/more powerful/cooler when you listen to a demo instead of a finished song though? I think there'd be the same effect if you listened to demos of any of their albums, just because you're used to hearing it more polished and you suddenly hear everything sounding more raw so it sounds cooler in comparison (bit like when you hear a live version). Doesn't necessarily mean it's the right sound for the album though.

Personally, I would've preferred a live album to this, though I always find it interesting to see the changes that are made to songs along the way. A lot of these don't sound too different from their final versions to me, though, apart from the sound and the lack of mixing. But I agree that just because it's different, it doesn't mean it was the right choice or better. Some of the songs really needed to be polished, I think. Or at least seemed to benefit from the cleaner guitar tones. Others might've been better with some distortion. But I definitely don't think they should've recorded all three albums this way and left it at that.

I honestly believe if the trilogy sounded like this then they would've sold more copies of each. I'm really enjoying the louder, more rough sounds of the guitars and the way Tre's drums sound in the demos I enjoyed more.

I wouldn't go that far. A lot of the factors that sunk the trilogy had to do with cultural climate (rock music is not very popular currently) and lack of promotion. Billie's public meltdown and stint in rehab meant all of their release week promo for Uno got cancelled, and there pretty much wasn't any promotion or touring in support of Dos and Tre. The second that happened, the whole trilogy was dead in the water. There are plenty of great albums that only sell in the thousands, and there are plenty of shit ones that sell in the millions. But if no one knows that your record even exists apart from a handful of hardcore fans? You're not going to make big sales, plain and simple.

I wouldn't go that far. A lot of the factors that sunk the trilogy had to do with cultural climate (rock music is not very popular currently)

In America definitely, but rock music still gets number 1's in Europe. Biffy Clyro released their double album a month after Tré and it hit no. 1 on the album charts. AM was absolutely huge over here too, and bands like Imagine Dragons and The 1975 are causing big waves.

The Trilogy just kinda sucked :P

In America definitely, but rock music still gets number 1's in Europe. Biffy Clyro released their double album a month after Tré and it hit no. 1 on the album charts. AM was absolutely huge over here too, and bands like Imagine Dragons and The 1975 are causing big waves.

The Trilogy just kinda sucked :P

And add the fact that Green Day is seen as sold out by many, and there's a lot of people who loves rock but who will never listen to any new Green Day stuff because for them it's not good music anymore :/

The more I listen to this the more I question what Rob Cavallo was thinking. I mean, the guitars and the whole overall feeling of Demolicious sounds utterly like what the band was going for, and Rob even said it himself that it sounds like a modern Dookie, but then he went and kinda fucked it up.

And I think this can be it's own album to me. I mean, it's kinda like 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, A Little Boy Named Train puts me in the same mood Rest does in the demo version

A Little Boy Named Train puts me in the same mood Rest does in the demo version

Well, I'm not looking forward to hearing that. :lol:

Well, I'm not looking forward to hearing that. :lol:

well I guess what I'm trying to say is that it has the same feeling, or groove so to speak

Having listened to the whole thing on YouTube...it's better in a lot of places, I'll give it that. The heavier guitars give a lot of the songs a much-needed weight, a few lyric changes here and there were better than we got on the final albums, Mike's backing vocals being present is a huge improvement, and the key change in "99 Revolutions" was goddamn golden. But...it's nowhere near enough. Keeping this Exile on Main St. vibe for the proper albums would have been a tremendous boon, and would definitely have improved my reception of them. But the melodies and chord progressions are still recycled. The lyrics are still far below Billie's usual standard.

If anything, this just makes me even more disappointed in the product we ended up getting. What I want more than anything is for Billie to sit down and pay precise fucking attention to what he's writing, and try to channel some of the swirling emotions that must have come from iHeart/rehab into genuinely emotional lyrics. Write choruses of more than one line, do more with the melodies than he's been doing. And then the band needs to have the balls to finally do the Exile on Main St. lo-fi record they've been dragging their feet about for over ten years now. Hire Vig instead of Cavallo, dial back the vocal filters, amp up the guitar distortion, and let loose. Let Mike write basslines like he used to write, let Tre go full "Burnout" again. And don't let the stripped down live-in-the-studio vibe get in the way of creativity in production. Exile on Main St. still has plenty of extra instruments involved. Get Jason Freese in there on the sax, have Jason White do the best rip-roar he's got in him. Bring back the acoustic elements from 21CB and Warning. Bring in a broken-down old piano. Let it be huge and sprawling, because that's how a record like this should be, but make that sprawl have a purpose behind it like 21CB, not the lackluster "story" of the Trilogy.

If they can get their shit together and actually pull off what the Trilogy should have been, it could be the best thing ever. If not, and the next album is also a faceplant, I think I'm done actively following new Green Day albums.

Imagine Dragons and The 1975 are causing big waves

I thought we were talking about rock music :ga:

I'm really loving the bits of shouting in the background on Demolicious, it adds a lot to some of the songs for me. The fact that most of the songs clearly weren't played to a click track and pulled back in time in post-production is really appealing too.

Let Mike write basslines like he used to write, let Tre go full "Burnout" again.

I don't think anyone was ever really stopping them. I don't blame anyone for their lackluster parts other than themselves.

I agree with the rest of your post for the most part. Getting Jason Freese in again would be a great idea. Unlike you, though, Demolicious has actually reinvigorated my interest in them. I'm honestly viewing this as a whole different thing from the Trilogy, I think it's great and it's easy to ignore the fact that inferior versions of these songs already exist while listening to it.

Hey Aussies!

Any of you guys got the low down on which stores in Victoria will carry Demolicious? Just wondering if anyone has already done their research before I start doing mine :D

Having listened to the whole thing on YouTube...it's better in a lot of places, I'll give it that. The heavier guitars give a lot of the songs a much-needed weight, a few lyric changes here and there were better than we got on the final albums, Mike's backing vocals being present is a huge improvement, and the key change in "99 Revolutions" was goddamn golden. But...it's nowhere near enough. Keeping this Exile on Main St. vibe for the proper albums would have been a tremendous boon, and would definitely have improved my reception of them. But the melodies and chord progressions are still recycled. The lyrics are still far below Billie's usual standard.

If anything, this just makes me even more disappointed in the product we ended up getting. What I want more than anything is for Billie to sit down and pay precise fucking attention to what he's writing, and try to channel some of the swirling emotions that must have come from iHeart/rehab into genuinely emotional lyrics. Write choruses of more than one line, do more with the melodies than he's been doing. And then the band needs to have the balls to finally do the Exile on Main St. lo-fi record they've been dragging their feet about for over ten years now. Hire Vig instead of Cavallo, dial back the vocal filters, amp up the guitar distortion, and let loose. Let Mike write basslines like he used to write, let Tre go full "Burnout" again. And don't let the stripped down live-in-the-studio vibe get in the way of creativity in production. Exile on Main St. still has plenty of extra instruments involved. Get Jason Freese in there on the sax, have Jason White do the best rip-roar he's got in him. Bring back the acoustic elements from 21CB and Warning. Bring in a broken-down old piano. Let it be huge and sprawling, because that's how a record like this should be, but make that sprawl have a purpose behind it like 21CB, not the lackluster "story" of the Trilogy.

If they can get their shit together and actually pull off what the Trilogy should have been, it could be the best thing ever. If not, and the next album is also a faceplant, I think I'm done actively following new Green Day albums.

This sounds so good. If only Green Day would follow their own advice.

I don't think we'll ever see a Green Day releasing an album that is lo fi exile on main st type album Billie been talking about doing that since AI days and yet still have yet to pull the trigger on doing it

They tried the fake sound on trilogy and failed on that

The closet we got to a real lo-fi from them was Foxboro and I think Billie was ok with that not only cause that was meant to be but also cause Foxboro wasn't released under the Green Day name...

Hey, I think we should be grateful for what Green Day has given us. For most of us, Green Day has changed our lives unbelievably. Let's appreciate what they have given us, and not focus on what they haven't.

Now here's the question...why did Green Day/Rob Cavallo decide to drastically change the guitar sound to so clean? It can't honestly be because AC/DC's Back in Black was "clean as fuck".

Archived