Green Day to release LP titled "Demolicious" to support Record Store Day

Fuzz

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta admit I had no clue what to expect, but I'm glad to here the results! I like State of Shock and 99 Revolutions like all others it's just a little more raw. Even Oh Love is pretty nice (unlike the original). One thing I have to admit though.. I really don't like Stay the Night acoustic.. Not that I don't love Billie's voice (ofcourse I do love it<3) but it the feeling got to me it's a little to much like Good Riddance (Time of Your Life).. It feels a little 'forced to be a beautiful ballad' to me. I dunno what's up with that, I'm not really a ballad fan anyway. Also I LOVE how some songs are just totally different in some parts (like Oh Love)!

I don't think it's trying to be a beautiful ballad at all. If anything, it's a somber, desperate song when sung in that matter. Like "please, don't leave me alone, don't go..."

Does anyone have a song on the Demolicious album that stands out to them the most?

As much as it pains me, after multiple listen-throughs, I think it's Sex, Drugs & Violence. It's so catchy now. :lol:

Billboard talking about Record Store Day including Demolicious. http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/6069804/record-store-day-chart-recap-vinyl-album-sales-reach-historic-high

Summary:

• Demolicious was the highest selling album release for record store day.
  • Demolicious is being released digitally on May 19th. With physical sales to remain exclusive to record stores for the time being at least.
  • 42% of Demolicious sales were on CD, 42% on vinyl and 16% on cassette.

"On the 25-position Tastemakers chart -- which tracks the top-selling albums at independent and small chain stores -- only three albums weren't specifically tied to RSD festivities. The chart (excerpted below) is led by Green Day's 18-track "Demolicious" album, which was released exclusively to indie retailers on CD, vinyl and cassette. (Yes, cassette.)

It sold nearly 4,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Of that sum, 42 percent were CD, 42 percent were vinyl LPs and 16 percent were cassettes. "Demolicious" will become available to digital retailers on May 19, but its physical configurations will remain exclusive to indie sellers for the time being."

This makes me so happy! :happy: Great news! Thanks for posting!!!

I'm kind of hoping that the physical release remains exclusive to RSD.

I'm kind of hoping that the physical release remains exclusive to RSD.

same I spent $40 on the clear Vinyl and hope it stays worth it lol

same I spent $40 on the clear Vinyl and hope it stays worth it lol

Well they've already stated the vinyl was limited to 2400 copies. I'd be surprised if they decided to release that afterward with more copies. Maybe a black vinyl, but even that I would say isn't as likely as just a CD.

lmao OH I didn't plan on buying it, but my mom went to a couple stores Saturday to try and find it for my Easter basket (since I'm obviously 5 :lol:). I knew that much, but yesterday we were talking about it and she was like "Well, they had the cassette, but what would you play it on?" and like, she's totally right, but FUCK, I wouldn't have minded owning it either :mellow:

lmao OH I didn't plan on buying it, but my mom went to a couple stores Saturday to try and find it for my Easter basket (since I'm obviously 5 :lol:). I knew that much, but yesterday we were talking about it and she was like "Well, they had the cassette, but what would you play it on?" and like, she's totally right, but FUCK, I wouldn't have minded owning it either :mellow:

:cry: Mommy P, what's wrong with you?! You should have bought her the cassette! (You could have played it in my car up until last year. :lol:)

I thought the cassette was a dumb idea, but after seeing the pictures of it, I totally wouldn't mind owning it just for looking at or something. Well, I probably wouldn't but it's still cool.

I thought the cassette was a dumb idea, but after seeing the pictures of it, I totally wouldn't mind owning it just for looking at or something. Well, I probably wouldn't but it's still cool.

The artwork being landscape instead of the square is cool

I like cassettes.. its a cool format - so happy they released it on cassette, too :) they should have released a few hundred cassettes for Uno Dos and Tre aswell..

Chart Data for Demolicious

Alternative Albums: #18

Billboard 200: #112

Rock Albums: #24

Tastemaker Albums: #1

In my opinion, Green Day should have released the trilogy in the same way they released Demolicious. It was the over-promotion of the trilogy that got people's expectations in the air and disappointed many. Many thought that the Trilogy didn't come close to any of Green Day's previous albums quality-wise. Perhaps if they released the songs as demos from the start it would have been better received by the fans. The comparison to AC/DC and the Beatles, the sneak-peaks, rumors, the hype and all the promos for the Trilogy made the fans underwhelmed upon hearing the albums. People were expecting a revolution, a new Green Day era... and people were slightly misled.

I'm not saying that the songs off Uno, Dos, and Tre are just 'demo-worthy'. I just think Green Day didn't need to compare themselves to anyone at all if they were going back to their 'old sound' (though they did try a little too much to sound like something they weren't).

They hyped the holy hell out of 21st Century Breakdown, and look at how well that album did. The trilogy did not get the attention it needed to do well, and for the most part that was due to Billie Joe's Rehabilitation.

Chart Data for Demolicious

Alternative Albums: #18

Billboard 200: #112

Rock Albums: #24

Tastemaker Albums: #1

That awkward moment when Demolicious charts better than Tré.

That awkward moment when Demolicious charts better than Tré.

Let's not go overboard. Tre had 58,000 sales first week and was #13 on Billboard.

Green Day's newest album brings nostalgia for band's past works

While we were on holiday, the American punk band Green Day gave its fanbase a sweet treat.

The three-member band—known for singles “Holiday” and “American Idiot”—released an 18-track compilation album last Saturday in conjunction with Record Store Day, an internationally observed day that celebrates the record store culture.

In keeping with the spirit of the release day, the 18 demo recordings from the making of the band’s “¡UNO! ¡DOS! ¡TRÉ!” album trilogy are available only on double vinyl, CD and cassette tape.

In addition to the demo recordings, the aptly named “Demolicious” includes a previously unreleased track, “State of Shock,” and an acoustic version of “Stay the Night” from the band’s “¡UNO!” album released in 2012.

The intro to “State of Shock” shows that this punk rock band has stayed true to its sound for the past 10 years.

Listening to the newly released track, I found myself reliving the moment back in 2004 when I put my first CD into my new Sony Walkman CD player and pushed play.

After a thunderous guitar and drum into, Green Day’s lead singer and guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong started singing about not wanting to be an American idiot, and I was hooked.

The album “American Idiot” went onto to win the Grammy Award for Best Rock Album in 2005 and spawned five internationally successful singles, “American Idiot,” “Boulevard of Broken Dreams,” “Holiday,” “Wake Me Up When September Ends” and “Jesus of Suburbia.”

With all of those great songs on one album, I never thought I’d need to buy another CD again.

But then I listened to the album less and less until one day I got an iPod and “American Idiot” was not uploaded to my iTunes.

Ten years later, I’m now twice the age I was when I was singing along to Armstrong, broken dreams and American idiots, and I haven’t listened to Green Day since then.

However, when I listened to the intro from “State of Shock,” I heard that intro from “American Idiot,” and I was reminded of those times when I would air-guitar in front of thousands of imagined fans.

The acoustic version of “State of Mind” will also remind of you Green Day’s classic “Good Riddance.”

Have you ever had those moments with music?

Have you rediscovered a band or an album?

Don’t want to be an American idiot? Make sure to check out Green Day’s compilation album “Demolicious” available at record stores near you.

http://www.creightonian.com/scene/article_c54262d0-cab0-11e3-a4fc-0017a43b2370.html

The acoustic version of “State of Mind” will also remind of you Green Day’s classic “Good Riddance.”

lol

TIL there must be a secret song on Demolicious because none of that is at all accurate

I think Billie said Stay the Night was the first song of the trilogy that he wrote - I love the song on the trilogy & on demolicious I could just imagine him sitting there writing & playing it - loved it.

I still think this was the best demo of Stay the Night, who doesn't remember playing this on repeat when it surfaced in 2010???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wG37O2YFYs

Those Marshall amps <3

I still think this was the best demo of Stay the Night, who doesn't remember playing this on repeat when it surfaced in 2010???

Those Marshall amps <3

I was expecting the demo to sound like this.

I think Billie said Stay the Night was the first song of the trilogy that he wrote - I love the song on the trilogy & on demolicious I could just imagine him sitting there writing & playing it - loved it.

Did he really say that? Where? If he did then that would totally confirm that the Walk Away on Tré isn't the same-titled song from Cigarettes and Valentines.

Did he really say that? Where? If he did then that would totally confirm that the Walk Away on Tré isn't the same-titled song from Cigarettes and Valentines.

Not really... Stay the Night was the first songs of the trilogy session, when they began recording in Europe on the 21st Century Breakdown tour. And even if those are his exact words, it doesn't mean anything because Billie tends to contradict himself in interviews lol

I don't think he said that I think someone on here speculated it.

Also found the cd today, got all 3 now.

Archived