Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Same! I know The Pedestrian is my least favourite though, I love it but it's the least 60's sounding song on there and more conventional Green Day sounding to my ears, not quite as interesting as the others. I think this opinion is pretty unpopular as it often seems to be a favourite, which I don't really get.

I just do not understand how your ears function. At all.

My current theory is if you play Dos backwards it's just Mike sobbing and Tre whispering "So much cocaine. So. Much. Cocaine..."

Yeah, that's going in the signature. Audibly laughing at this one. :lol:

• Like 1

I just do not understand how your ears function. At all.

Well two people have said it's the solo and that is cool so that does make sense :lol:. And the lyrics are really good too, and you can kind of sing that children's song that goes "There's a worm at the bottom of my garden, and his name is wiggly woo" along with it (you can sing that part during the verse and "wiggle all day and wiggle all night" fits well with "Pedestrian is what I am") which is also good. So I do like it a lot. But if I'm listening to Foxboro I want 60s party songs and it just doesn't quite sound enough like one to me.

• Like 1

Well two people have said it's the solo and that is cool so that does make sense :lol:. And the lyrics are really good too, and you can kind of sing that children's song that goes "There's a worm at the bottom of my garden, and his name is wiggly woo" along with it (you can sing that part during the verse and "wiggle all day and wiggle all night" fits well with "Pedestrian is what I am") which is also good. So I do like it a lot. But if I'm listening to Foxboro I want 60s party songs and it just doesn't quite sound enough like one to me.

It's just one of my favorite songs ever, and you're just like "meh, it's whatever..." I just don't get it! :lol:

It's just one of my favorite songs ever, and you're just like "meh, it's whatever..." I just don't get it! :lol:

Its only crime is being too Green Day-ish on a Foxboro album :lol:. If it wasn't surrounded by those other songs it'd probably stand out to me more.

• Like 1

Its only crime is being too Green Day-ish on a Foxboro album :lol:. If it wasn't surrounded by those other songs it'd probably stand out to me more.

But Dos is good for being a Green Day album that sounds like Foxboro? :really:

But Dos is good for being a Green Day album that sounds like Foxboro? :really:

I don't have a problem with Green Day and Foxboro mixing, it's just if you have an album that you enjoy because it has a certain sound and one song on it has slightly less of that certain sound there's a good chance it won't be one of your favourites. Plus just in general the more conventional sounding a Green Day song is the less chance it'll be a favourite of mine, I usually prefer quirkier ones, and I would consider The Pedestrian to be more conventional Green Day sounding than the rest of Stop Drop And Roll.

I don't have a problem with Green Day and Foxboro mixing, it's just if you have an album that you enjoy because it has a certain sound and one song on it has slightly less of that certain sound there's a good chance it won't be one of your favourites. Plus just in general the more conventional sounding a Green Day song is the less chance it'll be a favourite of mine, I usually prefer quirkier ones, and I would consider The Pedestrian to be more conventional Green Day sounding than the rest of Stop Drop And Roll.

Oh ok, well yeah that makes sense. That's kind of why I love songs from Nimrod individually but I just can't really get into it as a full album, because there are too many different styles. There's nothing wrong with versatility but it doesn't exactly make for a cohesive album. I guess that effect is even worse when there's only one song that sounds different to others.

Oh ok, well yeah that makes sense. That's kind of why I love songs from Nimrod individually but I just can't really get into it as a full album, because there are too many different styles. There's nothing wrong with versatility but it doesn't exactly make for a cohesive album. I guess that effect is even worse when there's only one song that sounds different to others.

Funnily enough I love Nimrod as an album, with its different styles, so I think it is when it's one song that sounds different that it's not so good. Hadn't thought of that before but it's the same with 99 Revolutions on the Trilogy so must be that issue that I have.

• Like 3

Funnily enough I love Nimrod as an album, with its different styles, so I think it is when it's one song that sounds different that it's not so good. Hadn't thought of that before but it's the same with 99 Revolutions on the Trilogy so must be that issue that I have.

Yeah I guess it can seem like it's just been shoehorned in to make up the numbers. It's like with Dos, obviously I don't like it but it's clearly a cohesive album until Nightlife comes along. Quite weird that that's my favourite song on the album really!

Yeah I guess it can seem like it's just been shoehorned in to make up the numbers. It's like with Dos, obviously I don't like it but it's clearly a cohesive album until Nightlife comes along. Quite weird that that's my favourite song on the album really!

I think it fits! Particularly since it was pointed out that Billie sounds like a zombie, his singing and the guitar solo give it some of that retro feel like an old zombie movie or something. And I think because Lady Cobra has already been introduced in the previous song and it's her voice we're hearing it feels more tied in and the difference in overall style is kind of excused.

I think it fits! Particularly since it was pointed out that Billie sounds like a zombie, his singing and the guitar solo give it some of that retro feel like an old zombie movie or something. And I think because Lady Cobra has already been introduced in the previous song and it's her voice we're hearing it feels more tied in and the difference in overall style is kind of excused.

Ah good point. I'm sure you know what I mean though :P What you say about 99 Revolutions is interesting in that it's probably the most Green Day sounding song on Tre, but would fit better on Uno. I don't think it helps that it's between DRB and The Forgotten.

It's interesting that you talk about Nimrod with its different styles. I always looked at that album as being a transition. Like they are trying to find a new direction. That kind of almost makes sense that it would not be cohesive, but just have some great songs.

• Like 1

It's interesting that you talk about Nimrod with its different styles. I always looked at that album as being a transition. Like they are trying to find a new direction. That kind of almost makes sense that it would not be cohesive, but just have some great songs.

It's quite interesting that American Idiot and Breakdown are so cohesive while Nimrod isn't. It kind of goes against the trend of albums not really being listened to in full anymore and individual songs being cherry picked by buyers on iTunes. So it's funny to see how successful the albums were given that they went against the grain at the time of their release in that respect.

It's quite interesting that American Idiot and Breakdown are so cohesive while Nimrod isn't. It kind of goes against the trend of albums not really being listened to in full anymore and individual songs being cherry picked by buyers on iTunes. So it's funny to see how successful the albums were given that they went against the grain at the time of their release in that respect.

I think AI and Breakdown were so successful because they were so different and so brilliant (I think the only track I skip is Christian's Inferno). Many of the fans of those albums had never heard of a concept album before and were fascinated by the structure and flow. I think the itunes trend of just buying songs will never change. There is no need to buy an entire album, unless you are a diehard fan (which is why I own Dos). It will be interesting to see how the music business changes. I almost see it trending back to the day of Buddy Holly where artists put out a single at a time. I also can't quite figure out why a band like U2 would give away an entire album, unless there is another one coming up.

Quick question, do you ever sleep?

• Like 1

Quick question, do you ever sleep?

Not really. Long story, partly involving me being played by a group of 14 actors.

• Like 4

I guess it is because it's Nimrod identity, its essence, to be versatile- it hasn't got any clear distinct style like Stop, Drop and Roll has. So when it comes to Nimrod, different styles do not break the flow of similar songs since there isn't any, so one doesn't get annoyed by it.

• Like 2

I guess it is because it's Nimrod identity, its essence, to be versatile- it hasn't got any clear distinct style like Stop, Drop and Roll has. So when it comes to Nimrod, different styles do not break the flow of similar songs since there isn't any, so one doesn't get annoyed by it.

That's a good point. Plus there's also the fact that almost every song is top-notch so the changing styles aren't a big deal because you're still getting almost totally consistent quality.

I've never found Ninrod. to be anywhere near as all over the place as people say it is. There are obvious outliers--KFAD, Take Back, Good Riddance--but on the whole I think the songs have a very cohesive sound. They're all classic melodic four-chord Green Day, and the production and instrumentation don't vary incredibly from song to song. If anything Warning is far more a clusterfuck in terms of consistency than Nimrod--within six songs you have a Kinks ripoff, a rockabilly number, a few classic Green Day songs, and a goddamned Russian waltz complete with a spaghetti Western bridge. Compared to the first half of Nimrod which apart from the inclusion of strings and brass on Hitchin' a Ride and Last Ride In is pretty cohesive.

• Like 3

Yep, Nimrod isn't that versatile, but the context makes it feel far more all over the place than it actually is. Since it definitely is more multi-faceted than for example Insomniac. And whilst it has many basic Green Day-styled energetic pop-punk songs, the exceptions are truly remarkably different. An acoustic ballad and a surf instrumental? and so on. They create an illusion that it is more diverse that it really is.

• Like 3

I think some of Billie's lyrics are just like Oasis's lyrics on "Champane Supernova" - nonsense.

I think some of Billie's lyrics are just like Oasis's lyrics on "Champane Supernova" - nonsense.

Such as? The Trilogy doesn't count, by the way :P

Noel Gallagher is the unbeatable connoisseur of nonsense. He even lacks the skill that Bob Dylan is notorious for. Noel's nonsense doesn't even sound substantial. (I love Bob madly, but don't tell me some of his lyrics make sense. They don't. But still they're awesome. )

No matter what Oasis hit song you take the messsge is always the same. Seize the day, and expressed by horrible clichés like "wake up at dawn and ask her why, the dreamer dreams, she never dies, so wipe that tear away from your eye". Billie has always been better lyricist than that. (Champagne Supernova is cool enough song, but honestly.)

As far as Billie goes, whilst especially on 21st Century Breakdown the meaning of some of the songs is a bit vague sometimes, there's always some meaning you can understand and capture, some uniting thought. So, no, if the Trilogy is excluded, I think Billie's never actually written pure nonsense.

You may not always be able to tell the meaning of each individual line, but you can always tell the meaning of the song as a whole.

• Like 4

I mostly agree with your post but the Trilogy's lyrics aren't nonsense either come on :P, might not be considered good lyrics by everyone but they are understandable/explainable (apart from maybe a couple of lines in Troublemaker that are partly nonsensical but still make sense in the context of the song as it's just deliberately silly word play done for comedic purposes).

Compared to a lot of bands Green Day write pretty straightforward lyrics I'd say, from individual lines to the general meaning of the song it's very rare that the meaning isn't clear or reasonably easy to work out. I like that about them, they keep it real. I like some bands that have slightly harder to decipher lyrics as well, but yeah in that case they have to actually mean something and not just be difficult to work out because they're really nonsense haha.

• Like 2

I mostly agree with your post but the Trilogy's lyrics aren't nonsense either come on :P, might not be considered good lyrics by everyone but they are understandable/explainable (apart from maybe a couple of lines in Troublemaker that are partly nonsensical but still make sense in the context of the song as it's just deliberately silly word play done for comedic purposes).

I agree that most of them have a clear point they are stating. Whether one likes or hates Makeout Party one must admit its meaning is quite clear .

But songs like Nuclear Family, Wild One, Baby Eyes, Dirty Rotten Bastards or the Forgotten sound nonsensical enough to me. You may be able to tell some vague sentiment, but how does it differ from Champagne Supernova then?

By saying nonsense, by the way, I don't mean that the song necessarily has no lyrical point at all, but rather that it feels like half of the lyrics were written only because something has to be sung, so those lines or verses generally do not make sense, only fill the empty space.

Again comparisons to Noel Gallagher (And Dylan, though comparing Bob to the lyrics on the Trilogy is very severe blasphemy) are justified. He too used to come up with one or two catchphrases and fill the rest with some random vague rambling.

• Like 3

Noel Gallagher is the unbeatable connoisseur of nonsense.

So, no, if the Trilogy is excluded, I think Billie's never actually written pure nonsense.

I think you captured Noel Gallagher perfectly.

The entire trilogy is not bad, Dos is.

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic