Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

11 minutes ago, Jonas01 said:

Yeh of course u can all have different opinions, i was justr curious about your reasons for why JOS isn't their best song. If you know a song that's better, then tell me :D 

I agree that JOS is definitely one of their best, it's far up on my list, I think it might even be my favourite from time to time (that keeps changing depending on my mood :)). But hey, it's a question of taste like everything else. I also love KFAD and most people on here hate it, so what. :P

But I absolutely disagree that the band sounds "bored" performing JOS. In my 5 shows they were so much into it! Billie said several times (for example Bullet in a Bible) that this song means more to him than any other song and I think that's still the case 12 years later, so I doubt it will ever leave the setlist (and that's fine by me!)

22 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Is this the place I come to to admit I don't like the song Outlaws? The melody sounds a little whiny, too slow and nostalgic it sounds like something you'd put at the end of your career. I want to slap them out of it and yell, "Stop it! You're not done yet!"

I think it should have been done with a faster tempo so it doesn't come off as so depressing. There I said it, thanks for letting me vent. 😘

It always makes me think of the song George Harrison did in the 80's looking back at being in the Beatles called When We Was Fab (doesn't sound the same at all but just because it's looking back at being younger and "when we was fab"/"when we were outlaws") :lol:, so I kind of understand that POV

But despite that it's such a sweet and beautiful sounding nostalgic song that I love it. And I saw it described as a love song Billie wrote for Mike, which I can't really disagree with :lol:, and that makes me love it even more :D 

20 minutes ago, Jonas01 said:

Name a song that's better then. 

Yeh of course u can all have different opinions, i was justr curious about your reasons for why JOS isn't their best song. If you know a song that's better, then tell me :D 

Well for me Somewhere Now is their best song, it's just so emotionally honest and sounds great. But I'm not saying it's wrong to call JOS their best :lol:, all I'm saying is even though a lot of people think it is it isn't the only valid choice.

22 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Is this the place I come to to admit I don't like the song Outlaws? The melody sounds a little whiny, too slow and nostalgic it sounds like something you'd put at the end of your career. I want to slap them out of it and yell, "Stop it! You're not done yet!"

I think it should have been done with a faster tempo so it doesn't come off as so depressing. There I said it, thanks for letting me vent. 😘

I agree with this 100%. I thought I was the only one that didn't like it and I'm so glad I'm not.:dance: To me, it's just too slow and it goes on too long. I don't hate it, but it's the only song from RevRad that I can't get into. It definitely should've been faster, it would sound so much better.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I agree with this 100%. I thought I was the only one that didn't like it and I'm so glad I'm not.:dance: To me, it's just too slow and it goes on too long. I don't hate it, but it's the only song from RevRad that I can't get into. It definitely should've been faster, it would sound so much better.

It's my least favorite song on RevRad. The only part I like is the guitar in the bridge and the line "I plead my innocence cuz that's the best defense when you are young." He's a clever boy, he can't help himself.  😁  Still it can't redeem the whole song for me. 

• Like 1

GD should take out JOS (I do like it though), play FN in its place, and with the extra minutes gained by taking out JOS they could play something old school off Kerplunk or Insomniac/something off the trilogy

As for KFAD and the medley- it was a lot better than what I expected. I think I went into the gig expecting to hate that part of the show but actually it was quite fun.

When Rev Rad 1st came out I wasn't keen on Outlaws but I've come to like it a lot more over time- I still think its a bit long though

Huh.  I came here to say I would rank at least 50 songs above JOS expecting that to be an unpopular opinion (I'd be downvoted to hell for saying that on the Reddit sub), but looks like I'm not the only one.  I don't dislike the song by any means, it just has never stood out to me.  I never even knew it was popular until I started going to fan boards.

And I love Outlaws.

Outlaws acoustic would be a great song to close the set. It shares a lot of chords with 21 guns, so probably the feeling is similar :lol: 

6 minutes ago, greendepent said:

Outlaws acoustic would be a great song to close the set. It shares a lot of chords with 21 guns, so probably the feeling is similar :lol: 

Oh but I love 21 Guns and we only just got it back :cry: That was a good swap for OW. But you bring up a good point that maybe I'd like it more if it were arranged differently (either faster or acoustic might be interesting).

I don't really like 21 guns purely acoustic that much though, I wish (like with WMUWSE) that they'd play the full or semi-full band version of it. Still, there's plenty of other 21CB songs that I could think of that I'd be much keener to hear (title track, EJN, Before The Lobotomy, Viva La Gloria, Horseshoes and Handgranades,  Restless Heart Syndrome). I think the two main reasons why this setlist seems so stale and old is: 

1. Lack of alteration, / variety between shows.

2. Heavy reliance on hit songs from AI and Dookie. Other albums such as Warning, Nimrod, and 21CB are underrepresented and Insomniac and the trilogy are even omitted completely. 

The fact that (besides the songs from RevRad) the newest song on their setlist is KYE from 2009, and that it's the only song played from 21CB makes the setlist seem old as well. 

I think if they played more from each album (so cut down on a few Dookie and AI songs) and varied the setlist slightly each night leaving a slot for a few rarities or lesser known / lesser played songs, that would already make a huge huge difference...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hermione said:

It always makes me think of the song George Harrison did in the 80's looking back at being in the Beatles called When We Was Fab (doesn't sound the same at all but just because it's looking back at being younger and "when we was fab"/"when we were outlaws") :lol:, so I kind of understand that POV

But despite that it's such a sweet and beautiful sounding nostalgic song that I love it. And I saw it described as a love song Billie wrote for Mike, which I can't really disagree with :lol:, and that makes me love it even more :D 

Well for me Somewhere Now is their best song, it's just so emotionally honest and sounds great. But I'm not saying it's wrong to call JOS their best :lol:, all I'm saying is even though a lot of people think it is it isn't the only valid choice.

I think there is a major difference between a favourite song and a ''best song''. My favourite song is Whatsername or WMUWSE, but i don't think that it is their best songs. I think Jesus of Suburbia is. 

22 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

I agree that JOS is definitely one of their best, it's far up on my list, I think it might even be my favourite from time to time (that keeps changing depending on my mood :)). But hey, it's a question of taste like everything else. I also love KFAD and most people on here hate it, so what. :P

But I absolutely disagree that the band sounds "bored" performing JOS. In my 5 shows they were so much into it! Billie said several times (for example Bullet in a Bible) that this song means more to him than any other song and I think that's still the case 12 years later, so I doubt it will ever leave the setlist (and that's fine by me!)

Yeh i also like King for a day :) . And i still think that Jesus of Suburbia is their best song. 1. Jesus of Suburbia. 2. Basket Case. 3. Restless Heart Syndrome.      In my opnion these 3 songs are the best ones from Green Day.

2 hours ago, Jonas01 said:

I think there is a major difference between a favourite song and a ''best song''. My favourite song is Whatsername or WMUWSE, but i don't think that it is their best songs. I think Jesus of Suburbia is. 

Yeh i also like King for a day :) . And i still think that Jesus of Suburbia is their best song. 1. Jesus of Suburbia. 2. Basket Case. 3. Restless Heart Syndrome.      In my opnion these 3 songs are the best ones from Green Day.

Yeah there can be (depending on your criteria for "best" and your criteria for "favourite"). But I think Somewhere Now is their best.

I fucking love ¡Dos!. I'm seriously not trolling or anything, it has became my favorite Green Day album for sure; Fuck Time, Stop When The Red Lights Flash, Lazy Bones, Makeout Party, Ashley, Lady Cobra, Nightlife, Wow! That's Loud.. of course Wild One, Amy and See You Tonight are good too, but not as good as previously listed. Especially Lady Cobra and Makeout Party are THE TRACKS that I listen daily. Sure, the lyrics aren't as creative as it was on 21CB, but goddamn, they really know how to rock and roll. Kind of odd seeing this album as ''the worst GD album ever'' when I really love it, but I guess I have different taste. 

So, that was my first post. I like to lurk mostly, but someday I may post another comment.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MiksuSH said:

I fucking love ¡Dos!. I'm seriously not trolling or anything, it has became my favorite Green Day album for sure; Fuck Time, Stop When The Red Lights Flash, Lazy Bones, Makeout Party, Ashley, Lady Cobra, Nightlife, Wow! That's Loud.. of course Wild One, Amy and See You Tonight are good too, but not as good as previously listed. Especially Lady Cobra and Makeout Party are THE TRACKS that I listen daily. Sure, the lyrics aren't as creative as it was on 21CB, but goddamn, they really know how to rock and roll. Kind of odd seeing this album as ''the worst GD album ever'' when I really love it, but I guess I have different taste. 

So, that was my first post. I like to lurk mostly, but someday I may post another comment.

I love Dos too. It's not my favourite album, but I think it's the best out of the trilogy. It's just so fun. I don't understand the hate for it. And I absolutely love Baby Eyes and Lady Cobra.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah there can be (depending on your criteria for "best" and your criteria for "favourite"). But I think Somewhere Now is their best.

Well my criteria for the best song is the instrumental level and the lyric level. And when i say instrumental i mean melody, pattern and so on.... And just how the song in general is, i think everyone can agree that JOS is quite epic. But it's not my favourite. As i said my favourites are Whatsername or WMUWSE. 

I don't understand the hate for any of the trilogy except that it shouldn't have been a trilogy for commercial reasons. I love all three of them though.

• Like 1

There are a few solid tracks on Dos, but not as many as I'd like on an album, and also fuck Nightlife.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dos is the cd I keep in my car CD player. It's the back up in case my phone is about to die :lol:.

I can't stand the "mmmmhhmmhmmms"  or the "OooOooOOOoos" in Ordinary World! :mellow:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Wanna hear an unpopular opinion? I actually like their current setlist :lol::D

You are my new favorite poster. :wub:

• Love 1

23 hours ago, MiksuSH said:

You're my guy! Lady Cobra is so much fun. Most people just don't seem to get it, but you're not alone in thinking it's awesome.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Wanna hear an unpopular opinion? I actually like their current setlist :lol::D

I think most people like it. People just wish it would occasionally get changed up a bit :)  

• Like 3

I just watched my videos back from Feb at the O2 and the messing around during Hitchin a Ride lasts 4+ minutes, I love crowd interaction to a certain extent but come on guys you could play another 2 songs in that time! I think the novelty's worn off for me after 4 shows so god knows how people who've been loads of times and hate it feel when they hear the first 'hey'. Probably like me and just go 'heyyyyyy no, stop'

20 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

I think most people like it. People just wish it would occasionally get changed up a bit :)  

Yup. That's pretty much it, especially if you've seen them several times. I think we lucked out on the club tour because they actually did songs from Nimrod, but looking at the setlist for this tour leg is like wow...I'm not missing anything. That's not to say that if I saw them again this year I wouldn't love every minute of it because they kick ass live, but some spontaneity would be nice. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

Yeah, I agree, I'd love to hear some different songs the next tour. But I'd still enjoy the concert if they played the exact same setlist. It just works, especially for the big crowds. I think the people at the Hurricane Festival (which I attended) really liked the performance of King for a day (and even the medley). 

Edited by CherryBombs&Gasoline
  • Like 2