Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

8 hours ago, Jenn. said:

I loved Know Your Enemy when I first heard it. I just think the guitar sound is awesome. It's a great, powerful song. It's meant to be simple and repetitive, like a chant. I find it much easier to get into the mood to play that song than I do with Oh Love, which is just sort of...meh. I loved it too when it first came out, but how I feel about both songs now have made me see that there's definitely a difference between loving a song because I genuinely think it's great, and loving a song because it's the first new Green Day song I've heard in a while :P 

It's probably an unpopular opinion that The Network is better than FBHT....but that's what I think. :ninja: 

I... actually agree with you? It's my guilty pleasure to listen to Hungry Hungry Models... I'm a big New Wave fan though... Devo, Human League, Nena... list goes on and on...

...I actually have the full Devo discography. They're underrated. Whip It is their WORST song.

Edited by prisoner416

8 hours ago, petros said:

Is it an unpopular opinion that the foxboro album is better than every green day album after american idiot? (Maybe only 21st can somehow compete.)

I'd easily take SD&R over the Trilogy or RevRad, undoubtedly.

As to The Network, I could never get into New Wave in general so it's no surprise I'm not a fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prisoner416 said:

I... actually agree with you? It's my guilty pleasure to listen to Hungry Hungry Models... I'm a big New Wave fan though... Devo, Human League, Nena... list goes on and on...

...I actually have the full Devo discography. They're underrated. Whip It is their WORST song.

I love your hesitance :lol: I don't listen to anything quite like the Network, really.

40 minutes ago, indominusflex said:

Troublemaker is the worst song Green Day have ever put out and I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to put it out.

Probably the most discussed lyric in this thread - everything comes back to Bmxcellent tits. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dakke said:

Choosing between Roshambo and Mother Mary is like choosing between American Idiot and Dookie: both great in their own right.

Yes, and I say that as a person who considers 21st Century Breakdown to be their lyrical and sonical apex.

I violently disagree with you about the lyrical quality of 21CB. I find those lyrics to be physically painful to hear... I do agree with you that from a sonic perspective, it's as good as anything they've ever done, but I feel that the lyrics are bad enough that they lessen the overall impact of the melodic and instrumental strength of the songwriting.

1 minute ago, brainstew86 said:

I violently disagree with you about the lyrical quality of 21CB. I find those lyrics to be physically painful to hear... I do agree with you that from a sonic perspective, it's as good as anything they've ever done, but I feel that the lyrics are bad enough that they lessen the overall impact of the melodic and instrumental strength of the songwriting.

In my opinion the lyrics of 21CB are the best Billie has ever written, even if they do have the tendency to be a bit over the top and derail the 'story' which strings the different songs together. Songs like 21st Century Breakdown and East Jesus Nowhere are lyrical masterpieces. You are, however, definitely not the only person who isn't completely in love with the album.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

Probably the most discussed lyric in this thread - everything comes back to Bmxcellent tits. 

But it sounds good if you actually have BMXcellent tits

• Like 2

I must say, I really do enjoy listening to Troublemaker from time to time! It's definitely not the best song Billie's ever written nor one of Green Day's best, but I see it as a fun, catchy tune with a sweet little solo in the middle of it :lol:

• Like 2

Although Troublemaker is considered lyrically bad, I think the lyrics kind of work for the kind of song it is. It's really just the 2nd verse of the song which is bad lyrically and the fact that the chorus is just repeating Wanna Be a Troublemaker which would be fine but nothing interesting is happening with the vocals or instruments during the chorus. Thankfully the chorus is only heard twice in the song.

The third verse ("Easy come and go") and the first verse work well with the song

• Like 4

I love the lyric 'from now to 'till death do we party before it's too late' -  I feel a lot of people can relate to that lyric because Trump will end us all.  The solo is great and it's a damn catchy song like most ALL of Green Days' songs.  Peace and Love.   P.S.  Off topic -  I'm sorry for being an asshole on pretty much all of my posts.  If I offended anyone, and I know I did, I am sorry.  I really am an asshole.  I will stop my rant now.  Thank you. 

Troublemaker is a great song, one of my favourite trilogy songs in fact.  The very catchy riff more than makes up for the poor chorus, though even that works as it acts more as a bridge to lead the song into the next verse/solo.  It has arguably the best solo on the trilogy (though 2nd or 3rd IMO).  Sure, the lyrics aren't particularly great, but they still kinda fit the song despite being a little disjointed and all over the place - I still like singing along to it, and it's nice to have a song that actually doesn't really mean anything deeper at all, and just sounds good.

• Like 4

On 22/12/2016 at 11:42 PM, chipmunk_tubetops said:

I violently disagree with you about the lyrical quality of 21CB. I find those lyrics to be physically painful to hear.

What? Really? I get that they are unusual and describing the world in a little fucked up kind of apocalyptic vision...but many of those song have some really powerfull truth in it... (ejn, static age...21cbd, american eulogy) this album has never been more actual...with all those things that happened lately...and all the religious troubles going on...when my philosophy teacher told me the world was turning into another wave or religious tension i almost laughed him off...boy i was so wrong...

On the other side theres the christian and gloria thing, im not really fond of...but i see them just as a way to narrate the story,a line or something that ties everything up...but i think the main chatacter is still the world around em.

Edited by zzjay88

6 hours ago, zzjay88 said:

On the other side theres the christian and gloria thing, im not really fond of...but i see them just as a way to narrate the story,a line or something that ties everything up...but i think the main chatacter is still the world around em.

I agree, the narrative is loose enough that the characters seem unnecessary. The fact that they are there doesn't really bother me but I don't see the album (or its storyline) through the characters. 

• Like 1

21st CB lyrics make no sense at all. To me those are the worst lyrics Billie wrote along with AI.

3 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

21st CB lyrics make no sense at all. To me those are the worst lyrics Billie wrote along with AI.

Seagull doesn't like 21CB? Shocking!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

I'm not saying its the best they have ever done...but man just the simple "does the pain weigh out the pride"...how many times happened in your life that this question would have saved you from unnecessary trouble? " makes it not the worst by far.

And then all those quotes about brainwashing from the medias in static age, how one feels living in this period...yeah they are not immediate,but digging them up was really worth it for me.

Especially with the helplessness we all feel lately...

Happy holydays everyone :)

Edited by zzjay88
  • Like 4

Those lyrics have definitely worked wonders for my mind. Got me through some ridiculous and depressing times and continue to do so! Yeah, I could have gone without the Christian, Gloria thing, but Viva La Gloria! is great, no reason to change that. Love those lyrics too.

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic